Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little anecdotal story comparing my past and current Tesla service experiences:

Roughly a year ago I had taken my Model S to Tesla service because the homelink garage opener functionality stopped working, right after I got back the car from body shop repair due to a collision. They diagnosed the problem was, that the Homelink transmitter was simply missing from the car. Apparently, the body shop forgot to re-install it when they replaced the bumper. So it was no fault of Tesla, but they had paid for a rental car for me for the day (they had none of their own loaner cars available), and also spent labor time on diagnosis, yet they charged me nothing, all goodwill.

Today I just picked up my Model S from the same service center. It was towed there as I could not start it in the morning in my garage. Both screens were blank, two-wheel reboot did not work either. Turns out, the 12V battery died*. However, my experience at the service was different from last time. First they warned me that diagnosis itself will cost about $150, plus whatever problem they find will be extra, since the car is no longer under warranty. I have reminded them, that I have purchased extended warranty, so the car is actually still under warranty. They confirmed that, but warned me that not all problems are covered under the warranty and I have a deductible anyway. Later when they diagnosed the problem, they called and said that it is an electrical problem and those are not covered under the warranty**. In total it costs me $500 for the diagnosis + fix. Which is fine, I am not complaining. (I have more than a thousand times that much riding on the company's success, so I'm happy that they make the customers cover the costs and become profitable).

Conclusion: I see a different financial attitude in service today. They are looking out for their bottom-line much better now.
So, "Q2 profitability secured" ;)

* The 12V battery in Teslas get heavy use with lots of charge cycles due to all the extra functionality that runs even when the car is idle (internet connectivity, battery temperature management etc). Clearly, the old lead-acid technology isn't good enough, I wonder why Tesla does not make their own Li-ion 12V batteries...

** This is a bit of a puzzle for me, since its an electric car, most of the problems are bound to be "electrical problems", e.g. if there was anything wrong with the drive-unit or main battery that wouldn't be covered either ? That would defeat the whole point of an extended warranty.

That would need about $400 a day.

Uber drivers make an avg of $20/hr. So, someone has to work 20 hours a day to make $400 or if you think, because its a Tesla, you can make double the avg (not sure how this could be true) - still need to work 10 hrs a day, assuming 100% occupation level.

How Much Money Does An Uber Driver Make? Pay & Salary Review

The Uber and Lyft model will dramatically change when Autonomous driving matures.

Tesla could take on this market when FSD is reliable (and make trading up your older Tesla profitable...motors rated for a million miles).

ex. NOA works much better today than even last month.

No Tesla Owner/Drivers need apply.

Suspension of DisBelief Required.

While perhaps true, Maxwell alone does not have resources that Tesla does. For instance, an internal automation group that specializes in bringing new technology to mass production.
I was a shareholder of Maxwell and spoke with Franz Fink. The goal for the incorporation of their dry electrode battery technology was in the 2023 time frame. I am not a chemical engineer , so I have no idea what other technology of theirs could benefit Tesla in the short to medium term.

* The 12V battery in Teslas get heavy use with lots of charge cycles due to all the extra functionality that runs even when the car is idle (internet connectivity, battery temperature management etc). Clearly, the old lead-acid technology isn't good enough, I wonder why Tesla does not make their own Li-ion 12V batteries...

** This is a bit of a puzzle for me, since its an electric car, most of the problems are bound to be "electrical problems", e.g. if there was anything wrong with the drive-unit or main battery that wouldn't be covered either ? That would defeat the whole point of an extended warranty.

* Li-ion batteries really don't like being charged when it is below freezing. The new vehicle architectures either provide a more regular 12V feed (3) or potentially eliminate 12V entirely (rumors on Y).

**. Pack and drive unit are powertrain items with their own warranty terms. Switches, MCU, 12V battery and such, while electric, are in a different group.

Edit: hat tip to @MarcusMaximus on the ESA item list

Last edited:
I have to feel for Panasonic. Their most profitable division is car batteries.

I suppose looking at it from Panasonic’s POV, losing money ($180m) selling batteries to Tesla doesn’t work for them.

Hmmm … which one is it ? Is Pana losing $180M on batteries or is it their most profitable division ?

(hopefully their most profitable division isn't also the one losing $180M)

TSLA still stuck in wedge pattern, and probably will be for a while now....

8gVieyX.png

Some people look at the stars and see constellations.

A little anecdotal story comparing my past and current Tesla service experiences:

Roughly a year ago I had taken my Model S to Tesla service because the homelink garage opener functionality stopped working, right after I got back the car from body shop repair due to a collision. They diagnosed the problem was, that the Homelink transmitter was simply missing from the car. Apparently, the body shop forgot to re-install it when they replaced the bumper. So it was no fault of Tesla, but they had paid for a rental car for me for the day (they had none of their own loaner cars available), and also spent labor time on diagnosis, yet they charged me nothing, all goodwill.

Today I just picked up my Model S from the same service center. It was towed there as I could not start it in the morning in my garage. Both screens were blank, two-wheel reboot did not work either. Turns out, the 12V battery died*. However, my experience at the service was different from last time. First they warned me that diagnosis itself will cost about $150, plus whatever problem they find will be extra, since the car is no longer under warranty. I have reminded them, that I have purchased extended warranty, so the car is actually still under warranty. They confirmed that, but warned me that not all problems are covered under the warranty and I have a deductible anyway. Later when they diagnosed the problem, they called and said that it is an electrical problem and those are not covered under the warranty**. In total it costs me $500 for the diagnosis + fix. Which is fine, I am not complaining. (I have more than a thousand times that much riding on the company's success, so I'm happy that they make the customers cover the costs and become profitable).

Conclusion: I see a different financial attitude in service today. They are looking out for their bottom-line much better now.
So, "Q2 profitability secured" ;)

From the ESA:

"Other Parts not covered:

o Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);

o Removable soft tops, removable hard tops, glass, plastic, framing, cables, or seals; and
o Certain individual items associated with the Vehicle, including, but not limited to the Mobile Connector, Wall

Connector, any future connectors, and charging adapters;"

Later when they diagnosed the problem, they called and said that it is an electrical problem and those are not covered under the warranty**. In total it costs me $500 for the diagnosis + fix.

Would you mind sharing some details from the invoice on exactly what the problem was? I could understand them not covering the 12v battery, but pretty much everything else should be covered under the ESA.

Reactions: neroden and MikeC
I’ve been in TSLA since 2012, with between 1000 and 2500 shares as time goes by. . Let’s see, about 6 episodes per year where we all think the sky is falling times 7 years= 42 episodes where we think the sky is falling. Yet even I, after 42 of these doom and gloom episodes need to remind myself that this too will simply be a blip in TSLA history. I can’t even specifically remember 10% of the past “end of the world” episodes. Considering the amazing feats, against tough odds that has been taken on and succeeded by Tesla, what we are talking about here today ( frankly we don’t even know what we are talking about) is a blip in the big picture.

'Nuf said?

No, not really. I have read every article, including the ones you posted, and I can't find any that give an exact reading for the first emergency stop on subsequent days. Just that they coudn't repeat the 126 feet, and tests were as bad as 152 feet. You can draw your own conclusions, and fill in the gaps if you have the actual CR test data, but I'm done beating this dead horse.

• Disagree
Reactions: wipster and mongo
What will it take for Tesla to be able do two such things at the same time?
Expectations can be unreasonable at times. I remember placing an order for modelS when not even in production and no superchargers existed. To see what the company has grown into is amazing. It’s not always about bringing out multiple models at once but doing it right with an unbroken string of success. Working on energy storage solar cars is 3 things at once not one

That would need about $400 a day.

Uber drivers make an avg of $20/hr. So, someone has to work 20 hours a day to make $400 or if you think, because its a Tesla, you can make double the avg (not sure how this could be true) - still need to work 10 hrs a day, assuming 100% occupation level.

How Much Money Does An Uber Driver Make? Pay & Salary Review

But that's the problem with these gigs, you are not guaranteed a minimum number of hours and not guaranteed a minimum salary. The risks are assumed by you, but not reflected in your average and very volatile hourly payment.

This kind of work is everything that the unions in Europe fought against in the previous century, a struggle which created a rather high standard of living for the working class.