Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the below interesting. They are going to give a clear picture into the EV business. I am sure it won't be pretty but better to be transparent.

GM has said they will not split or break out. They probably don't even know a clear picture as organizationally it is all mixed together.

View attachment 902681
It took Ford a year to re-org managers and some generated computer reports. How long would that take Tesla?

This is why the legacy auto companies will fail. They cannot get out of their own way. Still doing things the old way: meetings, commitees, waterfall, etc.

It's not the large that eat the lunch of the small. It's the quick that eat the lunch of the slow.

I found the below interesting. They are going to give a clear picture into the EV business. I am sure it won't be pretty but better to be transparent.

GM has said they will not split or break out. They probably don't even know a clear picture as organizationally it is all mixed together.

View attachment 902681
I can't wait to see financials for the Ford Model-E business!

It should be eye-opening to all the auto experts and analysts out there who think competition is coming for Tesla.

View attachment 902681
What Ford is doing is the smart play.

Find out if you are making money on EVs and work on fixing the problem, staff in the Model E division can't ignore the true picture.

The EV part of the business has a free hand to pursue their agenda, and are only accountable for their results.

If the EV division makes progress, that is apparent to all.

If the ICE division is slowly dying and racking up losses, that is apparent to all.

So each division of Ford knows what their biggest problem is, and they know who needs to fix it,

Appreciate Lee's transparency here...

Having watched this video I come away wondering what Lee has been through in his investing history. Was he around for the Dotcom Bubble or the Financial Crisis? After going through those myself, I haven't lost a second of sleep over this one. It does annoy me I can't retire as soon as I hoped but at the same time I was worried about retiring at the end of a 13 year bull run and was thinking it would be better to hang in until there's a market correction.

Yes demand is down. Due to interest rates, loss of wealth effect, and brand damage. Yes, 4680 is lagging. The thing is, Tesla is still positioned better than anyone else. Twitter fiasco will calm down, Cybertruck will get launched, FSD will be delivered, Semi will ramp. All while the "competition" goes through an existential crisis that most won't survive.

I started, and continued to add to, a margin position through this. Coincidentally, I closed that margin position today, increasing my share count by a hundred, taking a few thousand in cash, and selling more expensive shares for a tax loss on '23 taxes. If the share price dips significantly again, I will rinse and repeat. If it keeps going up, I'll be happy.

GM was able to achieve record U.S. sales of 38,120 Chevrolet Bolt EV and EUV models in 2022. However, it sold fewer than 1,000 units of its luxury GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, combined
Lets not give GM more credit than they deserve here.

Their EVs are a joke. Calling them “Luxury” is being over-generous. You can put the most comfortable seats on the planet on top of a pile of junk and it’s still a pile of junk. That’s not luxury. The only reason they aren’t widely recognized as the joke they are is because GM hasn’t shipped enough of them for word to get out about exactly how bad they are. Once they are in the hands of more than a few owners, they will get ripped hard.

As it is, the Hummer EV is already getting a bit of a crap rep and there are only a handful out there.

Tesla surpassing Amazon in operating income.

klgsguhynufa1.jpg

79rumz.jpg

many Tesla bulls who became bearish at or near bottom and justify their actions seem to have this in common: typically reflective of an investment philosophy heavily based on logic and reasoning as well as numerous cognitive assumptions/distortions
there seems to be high degree of intellectualization as well as investment naivete
to put it in simple terms: some investors are too smart for their own good

I find no harm in "listening" as long as I am the decider of what to use and what to discard. For me, adding to the data, and sorting for correlation or conflict can be a useful method of separating the wheat from the chaff. It will often reveal things I may have not known.

But, yeah, never blindly follow anyone's path.
Disagree because human psychology and such, but different forum discussion.

Appreciate Lee's transparency here...

For such a supposed Tesla watcher, he sure got a lot wrong. My take is that he just isn’t very smart. He didn’t and still doesn’t understand how Elon thinks and operates since he got freaked out over Elon’s Twitter acquisition.

He didn’t understand how slowly the 4680 ramp was going to go (admittedly Tesla missed a few targets, but that isn’t exactly new), and didn’t realize that Tesla wasn’t going to sit there with no plan B for a slow 4680 ramp. He doesn’t realize that a well functioning company rolls with the punches and adapts to changing conditions. He doesn’t seem to understand that Tesla has amazing enduring industry leading technology which add up to insane margins.

He never ran the numbers to realize that even with a very challenging 2022 year, Tesla grew revenues 51%.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that he just isn’t that smart.

Tesla has cut it's prices in Korea:

Model 3 RWD : $48,834 (from $52,460)
Model 3 Pf : $61,635 (from $71,893)
Model Y LR : $63,511 (from $69,300)
Model Y Pf : $67,440 (from $77,260)
======================
Model 3 RWD : -7.4%
Model 3 Pf : -16.6%
Model Y LR : -9.1%
Model Y Pf : -14.5%

Whole market turned over a little. People taking profits blah blah. Bull/bear fight isn't quite over.
Don't you guys have anything else to do than to watch the stock every minute, when you are purportedly invested for the long haul (i.e., years)? Get a grip. You have identified and invested in a generational investment. Let it happen and find something else to do.

many Tesla bulls who became bearish at or near bottom and justify their actions seem to have this in common: typically reflective of an investment philosophy heavily based on logic and reasoning as well as numerous cognitive assumptions/distortions
there seems to be high degree of intellectualization as well as investment naivete
to put it in simple terms: some investors are too smart for their own good
It’s usually not the logic and reasoning that causes the problem, it’s the underlying assumptions that the logic is based on that people have trouble with. Continuously question your assumptions. Know the difference between what you know and what you don’t know.

Tesla has cut it's prices in Korea:

Model 3 RWD : $48,834 (from $52,460)
Model 3 Pf : $61,635 (from $71,893)
Model Y LR : $63,511 (from $69,300)
Model Y Pf : $67,440 (from $77,260)
======================
Model 3 RWD : -7.4%
Model 3 Pf : -16.6%
Model Y LR : -9.1%
Model Y Pf : -14.5%

Kia/Hyundai is not going to like this at all. They are doing everything they can to get a US factory built and in production so they can eventually and possibly qualify for the tax credit. Now Tesla is dropping prices on their turf... I am guessing there will be some interesting executive meetings taking place immediately at their headquarters.

Yes.

But back then, they claimed that the downfall was due to certain purchase.

Interesting that in 2 months, all of that narrative has pretty much dissapeared.
Yeah, well when all your sky is going to fall rhetoric doesn’t come to pass, you’ll look like a fool if you keep talking about it. So best to shut up and hope no one remembers the idiotic things you said…

Tesla by cutting prices across the world is going for a winner takes all strategy
those who listened to previous earnings calls knew this was bound to happen
reducing vehicle prices and making them more affordable is a deliberate Tesla strategy, not a reaction to decreasing demand
what most do not get is this: Tesla is going to price out everybody including BYD when it comes to quality
within next few years Tesla will be the last man standing
Tesla market cap likely to be in several trillions eventually
my approach to continue being a successful Tesla investor: deliberate benign neglect of my Tesla holdings
not investment advice

I find no harm in "listening" as long as I am the decider of what to use and what to discard. For me, adding to the data, and sorting for correlation or conflict can be a useful method of separating the wheat from the chaff. It will often reveal things I may have not known.

But, yeah, never blindly follow anyone's path.
I tend to follow the Socratic method myself. The more questions you ask, the more the person answering reveals themselves.

my response to Tesla economist video: i always sell TSLA when it is up 90% off lows like right now
that way, i will never lose my 90% return
after all, cash in my brokerage has infinite growth potential while poor Tesla is dependent upon vagaries of Elon
it is entirely possible that whole world may suddenly decide to stop buying Tesla vehicles, just like nobody wants to buy apple iphones , nobody wants to buy amazon or search google or watch netflix or drink starbucks
very real possibility
very, very scary

(oh! by the way i will also never make 30X to 100X on my investment
not that it is really worth mentioning at all)

sorry, could not resist
tried

Last edited: