Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that they went from saying 4k in a week to 5k per week. Troy had said that the 4k was a 1 week event and not sustained, but saying 5k per week seems to suggest it will be sustained. The 4k tweet came from the Tesla Europe twitter account whereas the 5k tweet came from the main Tesla account, so maybe that explains the difference. But still, when someone says 'per week' that to me means sustained over time.

Well I've been trying out the new vision based non-USS firmware. I'm glad there's something available now, but I am hoping it gets better. We've waiting a long time since Tesla quit installing radar to have a system that still needs work, IMO. My biggest complaint is waiting for it to "load" after putting the vehicle in gear. Takes too long (see bottom video for example). I've seen other issues with incorrect info in traffic with lag...it shows a red line, says STOP, that I'm going to hit something that has already moved forward.

Last edited:
Well I've been trying out the new vision based non-USS firmware. I'm glad there's something available now, but I am hoping it gets better. We've waiting a long time since Tesla quit installing radar to have a system that still needs work, IMO. My biggest complaint is waiting for it to "load" after putting the vehicle in gear. Takes too long (see bottom video for example). I've seen other issues with incorrect info in traffic with lag...it shows a red line, says STOP, that I'm going to hit something that has already moved forward.

Guess I don’t understand the issue. If you’re Parked, why would you need to the system to park again? How often do people start a car from a parking spot in park to park again?

Let's not pretend the side of the Cybertruck is 10ft high, plus the vehicle can squat down. Let's leave that nonsense to TSLAQ, OK? Why would a silver colored reflective SS get hotter than a dark paint color? More TSLAQ level nonsense.

How would a conventional pickup be any more of a slam dunk than the likely sold out for years Cybertruck? Where would they get all the extra cells needed to provide enough range for a more efficient platform? How would that speed up the delays in 4680 production? Tesla has said they will build a conventional truck "if" the Cybertruck is not successful enough. None of your "concerns" make any sense.
Let’s not pretend you know how low it “ squats”. My point which is a valid “ concern” is specific usability for task you have a truck for. That could trump range in someone’s list of things. We have a 2016 Kia soul EV.range down to 120 km, but works fine for what we use it for. Also have a ford f 150 which is driven exclusively on gravel roads, and carries lots of gear and wood. Bucking logs and tossing over the side I am willing to bet will be much harder over the sloped side we see. Why would extra range make me forget about that?

As for the slam dunk, I am saying conventional pick up truck sales are well established on a per annum basis. Cybertruck is not. Yes indicators point to people will want it based on reservations, but no one knows for sure. that is fact. Not nonsense.

This is from another forum…
"
Yes, it does. I have a sign that I place on my DeLorean's windshield at shows that states " Please look, don't touch". It is more than a reminder to use common courtesy or to avoid fingerprints. It is a warning. Bare stainless steel in the summer sun can burn skin. I am never far away from my car but routinely see people touching or leaning against the car (usually for a photo op) and invariably retract their body part like they touched a hot stove. I pay particular attention to children around the car to ensure their parents are aware of the situation.

It will be the same situation for the Cybertruck, although the height of the vehicle will preclude anyone laying their tender forearm on the roof to lean in for a photo. ?. I'll probably carry the same sign for the CT.”

Will it get hotter than aluminum ? Who know , but to brush off any concerns as tsla is ridiculous.

We will know answers about 5 to 10 years into cybertruck production.

Even Elon himself stated if people don’t want it we can build a conventional truck.

The phrase "walking away from the mortgage" is very American (US) along with the phrase "jinglemail" (as in putting the house keys in the bank's letterbox).

In a lot of non-USA legal jurisdictions you can walk away from the house as much as you want, but you can't walk away from the mortgage. The only way to walk away from the mortgage is to go through the personal bankruptcy process. I have known many people who were "underwater" on their mortgages during house price collapses, and some of whom even had to go through house sale events in that situation. A friend once went through the bankruptcy process in that situation, not an easy thing.

It makes quite a behavioural difference. There are pros and cons both ways mind you.

IMHO we are going to see an awful lot more of extremely large scale human migrations due to climate change and related issues, including the energy transformation and the rise of AI. What is happening now is barely the 1c taster, not the $1 real deal.
Maybe it's different now, but in '96 I walked away from a house and it's mortgage. My only consequence was I had to wait 7 years before my credit rating cleared so I could buy another house.

Bucking logs and tossing over the side I am willing to bet will be much harder over the sloped side we see.
I have no problem tossing logs in my current truck from the tailgate end. I also have no problem getting up on the tailgate and into the bed. That will be even easier in the Cybertruck since it squats. You can't fear monger over the side height and then pretend the rear can't drop down.
Why would extra range make me forget about that?
If you can't make it to the wood lot, and/or back.
Will it get hotter than aluminum ? Who know , but to brush off any concerns as tsla is ridiculous.
Funny how in the marine industry we use stainless steel for hand railings, you know, the type you grab with your hands in the direct summer sun.
Even Elon himself stated if people don’t want it we can build a conventional truck.
Which as I said makes your concerns all the more ridiculous.

I can say for a fact that assumption is not correct as I sold them the waterjet cutting systems. Lol. For one with no support they can only generate 2500 gallons per day And the system installed uses a closed loop (IE recycled water) system which by definition would waste no water per day or year. Just a known point of input.

O

did not realize that. Why not? What happens?
1. The display is so small it's hard to make out details. 2. Nissan puts "helpful" lines and boxes all over it so what detail is there is mainly blocked (this goes for the backup mode as well). As I said, if the display was 1 metre it would work, but Denise and I have found it unusable.

Again, he noted from Metal cutting with a waterjet which is Not the case. A metal cutting waterjet (an abrasive jet) uses only 1.2 GPM. Their system is a water recycling cutting system. So, while the waste water may be from Tesla it’s Not from metal cutting on a waterjet.

Again, he noted from Metal cutting with a waterjet which is Not the case. A metal cutting waterjet (an abrasive jet) uses only 1.2 GPM. Their system is a water recycling cutting system. So, while the waste water may be from Tesla it’s Not from metal cutting on a waterjet.
Argue all of that to your heart's content with the Boring Co. rep (Rajit Patel, from Gapped Bass LLC) who made the presentation at the public hearing if you believe he has misrepresented things.

If you get them to offer information different from what they provided at the hearing, let us know. 🤷‍♂️

Until then, I'll just rely upon the information provided to those attending the hearing as being based upon more accurate data and knowledge about their wastewater plans than the limited data about their overall operation which you are working with.

Interesting that they went from saying 4k in a week to 5k per week. Troy had said that the 4k was a 1 week event and not sustained, but saying 5k per week seems to suggest it will be sustained. The 4k tweet came from the Tesla Europe twitter account whereas the 5k tweet came from the main Tesla account, so maybe that explains the difference. But still, when someone says 'per week' that to me means sustained over time.

Giga Berlin went from 3k to 4k shortly after the 3rd shift started. Anyone who knew about the additional shift and paid attention in 4th grade math knew that 3k wasn't the end game. Now 5k per week is interesting news as they meanwhile ramped beyond the 1500 per shift when they were at 2 shifts. And it's a milestone at 50% of the installed capacity.

Well firstly I never said anything about timing of production or what it would be made out of. Sure the cybertruck will have less of a drag coefficient, but will sacrifice some practicality for that ( if you have a pick up odds are I have tossed many a thing over the side). Practicality of stainless steel..,ie how hot it might get in sun, verdict is out.

Do you know what is established? 2 million conventional 3 box design pick up truck sales per year in US. If Tesla did that design, it would have been a slam dunk and quicker to market. Could cybertruck generate crazy demand. No one knows for sure.
Lots of things are established. That doesn’t mean they are good or correct for modern usage. It’s certainly going to change the way we think about and use pickup trucks if it does become popular. That said your comment on practicality is way off base. Cybertruck will ride much lower than most modern pickup trucks so even with the higher sidewall it will be as easy to access the inside of the vault as any modern truck.

No, a traditional design it would not have been out sooner. That’s pure nonsense.

If Tesla’s management is to be believed and it is in fact the most affordable way to build trucks in volume. That means it will either be the most affordable electric truck or the most profitable electric truck (or both). Either way Tesla comes out like roses.

For every person who doesn’t like the design, there will be 2 stepping up because it’s the more affordable/ durable/ longer range option.

Have owned pickups for a number of decades. Have never thrown anything over the side nor grabbed anything to pull out from the side. There’s a number of reasons why a person wouldn’t do that; they’re short, other physical impediments like bad shoulders/being older, the item they want to put in or take out is heavy or ungainly, they don’t want to risk unnecessarily scratching the paint, etc…

Do you know what’s established? Billions of ICE vehicles. If Tesla had designed an ICE vehicle, slam dunk and quicker to market. 🙄
Yes the rivian and lightening are ICE, right? Just because you design a traditional shape, it just means you ranked something higher on your priority list in design than drag coefficient. Does every single person buy the EV with the longest range possible? Mmh let’s see that would mean even within a Tesla model S plaid sales would be zero.

Oh, and would you say that most people who use a truck have NEVER put or received anything over the side, or younthinknyou might be the outlier?

• Disagree
Reactions: GhostSkater
Maybe it's different now, but in '96 I walked away from a house and its mortgage. My only consequence was I had to wait 7 years before my credit rating cleared so I could buy another house.
They’ve “Reformed” bankruptcy laws since then which makes it far more difficult for consumers to file for bankruptcy.

This is why credit card companies pass out credit like candy now and car dealerships are willing to give loans to the sketchiest of borrowers.