Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waymo did that in 2010. 10 loops of 100 miles each on a variety of roads. That was the milestone they had to clear to get approval to begin a self-driving development program.
quote from Waymo CTO:
There is a huge difference between having a prototype that can do something once or twice or a handful of times versus building a product that people can start using in their daily lives. And it is, especially in this field, when we started, it’s very easy to make progress on these kinds of one-off challenges.
Have you heard of this guy Geohot? I bet he did it too.

It doesn't matter who solved that 1% case first, what matters is who put enough number of 9s in that 99.99...% reliability first, enough to deploy it on large scale.

Again, real word data is the key to make it work.

A side note:
The guy who led the Google self-driving car project in 2010 had left Google and went back to Stanford around 2015 or so (weirdly wikipedia didn't clearly state that, and I don't want to speculate the reason he left), current leadership of Waymo struck me more like bean counters instead of visionaries.

Last edited:
Self-driving cars: A level-by-level explainer of autonomous vehicles
Level 3: Conditional automation

The jump in complexity between Levels 2 and 3 is huge compared to the jump between 1 and 2. A Level 3 vehicle is capable of taking full control and operating during select parts of a journey when certain operating conditions are met.

For example, a vehicle that is capable of managing itself on a freeway journey, excluding on- and off-ramps and city driving, might be considered Level 3 automated. This level of automation requires advanced sensor packages, hardware backups and sophisticated software to keep occupants safe.

The driver must remain vigilant, even when the vehicle is self-driving, in the event of a failure. Even with Level 3, a driver monitor system is all but a prerequisite to ensure that the person in the driver's seat is sufficiently alert to take over when conditions dictate.

Even this isn’t particularly helpful, unfortunately. Tesla’s system today meets(and, actually, exceeds) that description right now, but my impression is that it doesn’t actually meet the true definition.

One of these days, I need to get a copy of the actual SAE documentation and look through for exactly which requirements there are in more precise terms, since many of the ones bandied about are clearly wrong. For example, the requirement that under no circumstance can control ever be handed back to the human without several minutes prior warning. Clearly, if someone targeted and damaged all sensors on the car at once, it couldn’t just manage blindly for minutes before handing back control.

Well-paid unionized drivers are a dominant factor in costs of train operation. It is considered economically important by all the government passenger transport agencies and by all the private freight operators. If labor costs are actually even more dominant in car operations, despite the drivers being paid a lot worse... that's interesting. I'd have to dig into this...
It only stands to reason that trains pulling 120 cars of goods are a lot more efficient than trucks weighing 35,000 kg or so including the weight of the truck. When I'm traveling, what I see are miles of railroad tracks that are seldom occupied and roads clogged with trucks. This seems to me to be a very inefficient way of delivering goods. Yes, trucks are needed at the end points, but a lot of shipping could be done by trains. This would not only reduce road congestion, but it would reduce road maintenance by a large amount.

• There are ~10 billion neurons in the human visual cortex
  • Each neuron recieves ~10,000 synaptic inputs
  • Each synapse requires ~10 FLOPS based on a 1 Hz firing rate
  • Thus: ~10 G neurons x 10 K synapses x 10 FLOPS = 1 PFLOP
Also HW3 (FSD Computer) is actually approximately 80-100 TOPS. This will be confirmed when its more in the wide and someone can crack it open.

I was talking about the primary visual cortex, which is a small part of the brain:

Area V1 - Scholarpedia

Visualcortex.gif

The functional role is to turn a raster image into a vector image in essence - which is probably close to what the FSD computer's NN's first and largest layer does.

Full human vision includes functionality that the FSD computer doesn't have to do: for example object motion detection and prediction. It also includes a very large number of neurons that are hardwired to recognize things like human faces - again not something the FSD computer needs.

If we apply your calculation to the primary visual cortex:
  • ~0.14 billion neurons,
  • x ~10,000 synaptic inputs,
  • x ~10 FLOPS,
  • = 14 TFLOPS
The FSD computer is an order of magnitude faster than that.

BTW., why do you estimate ~10 FLOPS per synapse? AFAIK human synapse has about 0.1 bits of information content, while the FSD computer likely uses minifloats and is able to do a single inference calculation per cycle: multiplication with the weight and the application of the sigmoid function with hardwired functional units.

I.e. unless I'm missing something the correct calculation is more like 1 Tesla-FLOPS per synapse, and that's probably generous due to the low information content of human synaptic strength. I.e. the true comparison even based on your 10 billion neurons full visual cortex estimate would be a computing capacity of about 100 TFLOPs - close to the computing capacity of a single Tesla chip. (and there's two of them)

Et For example, the requirement that under no circumstance can control ever be handed back to the human without several minutes prior warning. Clearly, if someone targeted and damaged all sensors on the car at once, it couldn’t just manage blindly for minutes before handing back control.
Isn't that a requirement that can never be met? No system can predict catastrophic failure, it can only act on catastrophic failure. If that's actually in the SAE docs, which I doubt, then the SAE docs were written with the intent of stopping any development.

Reactions: lklundin
There are ~10 billion neurons in the human visual cortex

Of course, all neurons are not created equal. White matter, for example, functions as a data bus. Then there's the fact that neurons are generally grouped into functional units of which all neurons are fed the same input data - in the cerebrum, the basic subunit is the cortical minicolumn. There's something like 200 million minicolumns in the brain (only a small fraction of which are dedicated to visual processing). There may be 120 or so neurons in a minicolumn, but a lot of the functionality is redundant (which should be obvious, as you can't have the death of a single neuron have a dramatic impact on the brain).

Then there's the "clock rate" of the brain. While computer clocks run at GHz speeds (and I'd imagine that the average simulated neuron may fire at variable "hundreds of MHz" rates), the average neuron in the visual cortex fires only on the order of 10 times per second (and isn't even capable of firing at over several hundred hertz). So there's a very large multiplier partially compensating for the fact that no processor is even remotely as parallelized as the brain.

I am also puzzled why they have this FSD investor event at this time, as many of us did here.

Takes attention away from bad Q1 deliveries and reminds people that Tesla is more than just an EV maker. And the timing is perfect, since Uber and Lyft are doing IPOs, so focus on the "ride sharing" market is high. Redirecting some fraction of money that otherwise would have flowed into those IPOs to Tesla would be desirable.

While impressive...IIRC..that video has been out for some time.

And regardless, don't overread such videos. They're easy to "cheat without cheating" - record every test drive you do, and turn the one (out of hundreds) that went best into a PR video. Everyone who has a self-driving system does this same "trick".

Last edited: