Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the most ill informed article I have ever read on EV's.

Uses a Lucid to go from NYC to Montreal. Plans on using overnight slow charging and still has issues. Not once does he mention the supercharger network. He states DC chargers are too rare and this trip could not be attempted before the Lucid was developed. Somehow references Aptera in the article as a light weight solution to improve efficiency for long range cars.

Articles like this is why many of us do not trust main stream media.

Uses a Lucid to go from NYC to Montreal. Plans on using overnight slow charging and still has issues. Not once does he mention the supercharger network. He states DC chargers are too rare and this trip could not be attempted before the Lucid was developed. Somehow references Aptera in the article as a light weight solution to improve efficiency for long range cars.

Articles like this is why many of us do not trust main stream media.

Articles like this is how other EV companies justify increasing their 'advertising' budget :)

Uses a Lucid to go from NYC to Montreal. Plans on using overnight slow charging and still has issues.

Lol, it's only 372 mi (599 km) from New York City to Montreal, Quebec. A Model Y LR will do that with just a long lunch stop at an L2 charger...

I'd love to see his task for writing this story...

Luddites. :p

Let that sink in.. (you guys missed the obvious 😂)

PS: I haven’t fact checked the article for misinformation/disinformation/malinformation
Honestly, if this is what Elon had to do, it would have been one of the most difficult things for him to do 🤣 Hardest working CEO I've ever known!

1685762116708.png

Acutally, the $7.5k fed tax credit is eligible on inventory vehicles too, so base model 3's are currently being offered for $37,830. $15k off of THAT is only $22,830. That is an absolutely insane value.

Ladies and Gents, (yes, Cats and Dogs too, @Krugerrand and @Unpilot) I think now is a perfect opportunity to spread the message of just how cheap Teslas have become, especially if you know anyone that lives in California and/or any other state with significant EV incentives!

View attachment 943457

According to Sawyer, here's a list of how much the Model 3 costs in some states with significant EV incentives:

• VT: $26,320
• MA: $26,830
• PA: $27,330
• RI: $27,820
• DE: $27,820
• NY: $28,320
• CA: $28,330
• CO: $28,330
• CT: $29,030
• ME: $29,320

Acutally, the $7.5k fed tax credit is eligible on inventory vehicles too, so base model 3's are currently being offered for $37,830. $15k off of THAT is only $22,830. That is an absolutely insane value.
No one is eligible for $15K off. The income cutoff for the maximum Cali rebate of $7500 is $54,xxx. A person making only $54K a year doesn't owe anywhere near $7500 in federal taxes. Also, these state run programs usually do not have unlimited rebate budgets. Many state programs run out of money in the first several months of the year.

According to Sawyer, here's a list of how much the Model 3 costs in some states with significant EV incentives:

• PA: $27,330
I'll use PA as an example. PA has a $2million allotted to EV credit, including plug-in hybrids, BEVs, motorcycles, etc. Best case scenario enough for a total of 1000 cars statewide. Realistically, enough for about 500 cars. Good luck getting it.

Even if you were fortunate enough to get a credit, it's a $54K income limit to get only $2k credit. Once again, a $54K income owes nowhere near $7500 in federal taxes.

This list by Sawyer is dead wrong. Just dead wrong. Dead wrong.

I'll use PA as an example. PA has a $2million allotted to EV credit, including plug-in hybrids, BEVs, motorcycles, etc. Best case scenario enough for a total of 1000 cars statewide. Realistically, enough for about 500 cars. Good luck getting it.

Even if you were fortunate enough to get a credit, it's a $54K income limit to get only $2k credit. Once again, a $54K income owes nowhere near $7500 in federal taxes.

This list by Sawyer is dead wrong. Just dead wrong. Dead wrong.

Thank you. Just thank you. Thank you.
Do you know how painful it is for us in Europe to not be able to buy a new Model 3 for somewhere under $ 30.000??
Happy to read that that list is dead wrong.
Not an envious weekend! 🥳 ;)

No one is eligible for $15K off. The income cutoff for the maximum Cali rebate of $7500 is $54,xxx. A person making only $54K a year doesn't owe anywhere near $7500 in federal taxes. Also, these state run programs usually do not have unlimited rebate budgets. Many state programs run out of money in the first several months of the year.
Only part of what you say is true. Yes, a single person making $54K per annum does not generally owe $7.5K in federal tax. But now try a household of two, so 400% FPL is $73,240, for which $7.5K+ is due to the feds, depending on schedule A deductions. Or try household of three, using CA rules. Now try San Joaquin county, even more special, resulting in even larger rebate, but pending pre-allocated funds, as you say.

However, Teslas rule, at nearly all income levels!

Last edited:
Only part of what you say is true. Yes, a single person making $54K per annum does not generally owe $7.5K in federal tax. But now try a household of two, so 400% FPL is $73,240, for which $7.5K+ is due, depending on scheduling A deductions. Or try household of three, using CA rules.
You are missing the point here.

These are edge-cases at best. Spewing these as if it is something people can commonly attain is disingenuous. I’m sure there are a few people who pay enough federal taxes to claim the full rebate, qualify for the state incentives, the state hasn’t run out of funds for their program (happened here in Oregon a month ago), who can actually afford an EV… but it’s super rare.

Worse, Sawyer rarely mentioned these limits and ignores when they are pointed out to him. Very frustrating.

Only part of what you say is true. Yes, a single person making $54K per annum does not generally owe $7.5K in federal tax. But now try a household of two, so 400% FPL is $73,240, for which $7.5K+ is due to the feds, depending on schedule A deductions. Or try household of three, using CA rules. Now try San Joaquin county, even more special, resulting in even larger rebate. Teslas rule, at nearly all levels!

For tax year 2022 it's $7.5k taxable at $65.9k, which for a couple filing jointly with the standard deduction would be an income of at least $91.8k.
For an individual it was at least $78.85k

Potentially it could happen in some edge case of a family with multiple children, but then there's the Child Tax Credits offsetting the extra income, so it might not be possible.

So, I think it was just lazy writing, similar to the way people write things like "price after tax credit" by subtracting $7.5k, even though it's not a price, and it's through a credit that applies after any sales or property taxes.

You are missing the point here.

These are edge-cases at best. Spewing these as if it is something people can commonly attain is disingenuous. I’m sure there are a few people who pay enough federal taxes to claim the full rebate, qualify for the state incentives, the state hasn’t run out of funds for their program (happened here in Oregon a month ago), who can actually afford an EV… but it’s super rare.

Worse, Sawyer rarely mentioned these limits and ignores when they are pointed out to him. Very frustrating.
Sawyer does exaggerate. But the savings are real for a large class of people. In California alone,
there are extra local utility rebates for charging equipment, the "cash for clunkers" program to
retire old cars for an extra $1.5K, and certain CA zip codes are considered "disadvantaged areas"
for extra credit, to balance out things for the sake of climate justice impact.

There are state tax considerations as well, as you've noted with Oregon which has a 4+% sales tax advantage
over CA, at least, as do many other states, both red and blue. Yup, there are "success disasters" as you
note when the program money runs out.

Lastly, a personal note from a possibly larger class of Tesla purchasers -- retirees (early, such as myself,
or otherwise). Many of us can "tune" our income with capital gains to get under the income limits
in one year for rebates, an then declare more income the next. I bought a 2018 Model 3 that way,
whereby the 7.5K fed rebate + 2.5k CA rebate + $800 electric utility rebate + $5K FSD sale price
including HW 2.5 -> 3 upgrade really paid off. The opportunistic windows may be narrow, but
they can work out well for the observant.

Yeah, "edge cases" I know, but even if Merritt Sawyer pumps it all up, there's little downside for
BEV (not just Tesla) adoption. Whatever hucksterism proves unrealistic, it's far outmatched by
whatever the fossil fool industry proselytizes.

Last edited: