Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally think Tesla should just make the CCS port standard on all Model 3's not just the EU versions.

More options is always a good thing and surely it would simplify the production line a bit? Someone tweet Elon.

It wouldn't simplify production at all, you still have three different ports that you have to install. NA uses a Type 1 CCS port, EU uses a Type 2 CCS port, and China uses GB/T ports.

Would you really chose to have a Type 1 CCS inlet put on your Model 3 if it meant that you couldn't use any of the North American Destination or Superchargers? (Since you couldn't plug them into your car unless Tesla went through and put double connectors on all of them, or supplied you with an adapter that doesn't currently exist.)

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
It wouldn't simplify production at all, you still have three different ports that you have to install. NA uses a Type 1 CCS port, EU uses a Type 2 CCS port, and China uses GB/T ports.

Would you really chose to have a Type 1 CCS inlet put on your Model 3 if it meant that you couldn't use any of the North American Destination or Superchargers? (Since you couldn't plug them into your car unless Tesla went through and put double connectors on all of them, or supplied you with an adapter that doesn't currently exist.)
Ack, if only Henry Ford were here to solve the standardisation problem ...

That drop may be related to Tesla’s not being eligible for the Canadian subsidies?

Tesla Owners Online on Twitter

Honestly, it is not surprising, Ontario has a history of excluding Tesla from incentives, starting with the 75K limit years ago when the 14K rebate was introduced (which was chosen to exclude the cheapest Model S available at the time, there was no Model 3 yet), then continuing with the selective wind-down of the rebate last year, when all other mfg cars got a 3 month wind-down period except Tesla. Now, they first choose a limit of 45K to exclude all Tesla, then they added an exception for the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV which is $52K CAD with the wording that cars have to have 7+ seats to qualify for the higher $55K limit. Its all silly word games just like in Germany with the length. If politicians had any honestly they would just say Tesla excluded and be done with it.

BTW, it makes some sense in a way, since Tesla sells the vast majority of EVs, so people clearly do not need incentives to buy them...

Also, IIRC Audi claimed much higher motor production capacity in Gyor than needed for the e-tron.
Yeah, I think they said something like 400 motors a day, but that production could be increased as needed.
I am sure Audi has enough fans to sell those ~50k e-trons a year, plus it is a nice Audi if you are into that sort of thing. Still, after the recent press about how the actual range is so much worse than Tesla's, how much power that thing consumes, the so-so reception of the LCD mirrors, the 6 month delay in deliveries and now these battery shortages, the last thing that monstrosity needs is a refreshed X with an even bigger battery, 250 kW charging and a new, sleek interior, with an FSD computer.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Thumper and NicoV
I just hope that model 3 gets CCS compatibility soon : closest supercharger is 565km from my house and 3 of the 4 biggest town in my area have installed public CCS. There is also that my region is separated from the rest of the province from a provincial park and there is one gas station on a 250 km stretch. That gas station is going to be refreshed in the coming years and CCS was mandatory for the promoter of the refresh project.

It won't be hard for me to convinced people ''on the top of the fence'' to jump and go full electric ; the GM dealership in the small town nearby my place is one of the top vendor for Bolts (and pickup). But it would be a paradox to pay for a top brand Tesla car and not be able to fast charge.

It’s holding us back as well although I don’t care if it’s Chademo or CCS. We have some time before we have to replace the wife’s car but would like it to be a model 3. But without Chademo or CCS it’ll be a Leaf Eplus. I think it’ll be a reality within the next year which is our new timeline for replacing her car.

I'm calling my shot now, GF4 will be in Gdansk, Poland.

Low taxes, cheaper labor, seaport. Can see Sweden from your house.

Listen to the words of Dubya, "Don't forget Poland.".

Wonder if there are any existing plants Tesla can take over. Fiat is the biggest manufacturer in Poland with a 100 year experience. There are a lot of auto plants in Poland - so there should be a enough skilled labor.

Glancing at wikipedia, most of the existing auto manufacturing in Poland seems to be clustered in the south. I'm not sure if it's better to set up close to existing labor or closer to Scandinavia.

Automotive industry in Poland - Wikipedia

Funny how the article also blames the strike in the Hungarian factory where the electric motors are made. That strike lasted January 24-30... I am sure that's to blame for cutting production by 10.000 cars this year. /s

Not sure if Audi is saying this, trying to play down the significance of the battery shortage or just lazy journalists remembering they've heard something about a strike and linking the two stories.

Yes.

• Helpful
Reactions: kelly
There doesn't even have to be any breakthroughs. Tesla has shown that just economies of scale, smart vertical integration, and the current modest rate of yearly improvement has been enough to do it. They are making competitively priced cars with healthy margins.

In other words, just solid business sense and good execution.
And no labor union, an advantage unavailable to some of the competition. And the case for vertical integration might unravel if they are unionized.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow and scaesare
Glancing at wikipedia, most of the existing auto manufacturing in Poland seems to be clustered in the south. I'm not sure if it's better to set up close to existing labor or closer to Scandinavia.

Automotive industry in Poland - Wikipedia
Given those choices and all other things remaining equal, I would think the north hands down. Closer to ports. Closer to their biggest markets outside the US and China. Seems a no brainer to me...again, all other factors being equal.

Dan

Fred alert.

His bias is so obvious with this comment

"Between more efficient motors and a more energy dense battery pack, Model S and Model X could get big range and performance upgrades – making the vehicles much more competitive in their respective segments."

What competition??? No other EV out there is competitive with the current version of the S/X.

Mercedes S Class and CLS Class
BMW 7 Series and 6 Series
Audi A8 and A7
Lexus LS and GS.

Reactions: dddaaa0 and azaz
It looks like SR+ is just 55kWh.
The problem with adding new capacity is if Panasonic build new cell lines but then soon after manage to ramp up the existing lines to their current 35gWh design capacity, they will then have excess capacity until Y is in mass production - some lines will then have to be idled and profitability will be significantly impacted. Much better to just get the current lines from 24gWh to their 35gWh capacity. But not clear what the bottlenecks are to achieving this.

I think not.

Tesla Semi and Tesla Energy can soak up any "extra" capacity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Given those choices and all other things remaining equal, I would think the north hands down. Closer to ports. Closer to their biggest markets outside the US and China. Seems a no brainer to me...again, all other factors being equal.

Dan
South, especially Silesia, is the region of mines, ironworks and factories. It's also closer to Germany than Gdansk and connected with a motorway, which Gdansk isn't. Would be very odd to build a factory in Gdansk, but hey, anything is possible.

We will either be above 300 or under 240 by the end of next week.

Do you really think <240 is on the table @Antares Nebula ? Ok I guess with Tsla everything is on the table, but there's already so many negative expectations priced in (eg loss in q1), plus the sp didn't move significantly up after the fsd event announcement. Also there's quite a few support levels between here and 23x.

Last edited: