Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"He has also authored eight books, including The Hero's Farewell, an award-winning study of CEO succession, and another best seller, Firing Back, a study on leadership resilience in the face of adversity." CNBC bio
#Facepalm

Just in case anyone wasn't aware of it, Jeffrey Sonnenfeld has been a reliable promoter of TSLAQ false narratives in the past, with numerous ties to Tesla short Jim Chanos and other TSLAQ figures:

Ok, let me jump on the stage for a second..

The Yale Professor quoted in this article - Jeffrey Sonnenfeld - has had Jim Chanos speak multiple times at his conference.. Just google Jeffrey Sonnenfeld and Jim Chanos and see all the results.. Basically - this article is likely sponsored or influenced by the short mafia.. If you cannot see this as obvious - I have some N. Korean time shares to sell you..
CNBC Exclusive: CNBC Transcript: Kynikos Associates Founder Jim Chanos Speaks with CNBC’s Kelly Evans on “Closing Bell” from the Yale CEO Summit Today

Another artifact:
Tesla analyst: Investors have been too bearish on the stock

Why TF is an IVY League Professor/Dean going on CNBC and arguing a short position's viewpoint with wall street analysts in some sort of jerry springer debate?? How does this advance the mission of Yale in anyway whatsoever? FWIW - Jim Chanos went to Yale and is part of this inside boy's club - my strong guess is he is indirectly shooting from Jeffrey's shoulders...Once you see the fact patterns emerge - the nonsense starts to make so much more sense.

One more - an encore if you will - remember when Elon Musk went on Twitter and accused Linette Lopez of unfair journalism and biased behavior towards Jim Chanos? She played the innocent victim card.. Well, the very same week - guess who appeared on a featured segment of CNBC with Linette Lopez (love that she wore a white dress to subtly suggest innocence) to defend her?? Jim's very own homey the clown Jeffrey Sonnenfeld!! Don't believe me? Check this clip out.
Bethany McLean: Elon Musk should be ashamed of himself & TSLA investors should 'run for the hills' | Bob's Blitz

I can go on all day but hope this is enough to get everybody's attention and draw some light into the stuff going on in front of your own very eyes.. Mic drop.

lols, there is quite a bit more to this

1) Chanos is an adjunct Prof on that Yale School of Management faculty Sonnenfeld is on.

James Chanos

2) The third person (in addition to Linette and Sonnenfeld) on that CNBC smear Elon panel, Bethany McLean,

pretty massive Chanos connection, including helping Chanos get his Fairfax narrative into Fortune Magazine. from NY Magazine,

“Reporters, too, have a vested interest in cultivating short-selling sources. When a short-seller uncovers fraud, it often translates into the sort of epic story that can make a business reporter’s career. After Chanos tipped Bethany McLean, then at Fortune, to the problems at Enron, she landed a $1.4 million book deal and an Oscar-nominated documentary, and she recently was hired as a contributing editor at Vanity Fair. McLean and Nocera recently nabbed a reported seven-figure book deal chronicling the fall of Wall Street.”

and

“Of all the journalists whom Chanos deals with, McLean—a former Goldman analyst turned financial writer—maintains a special relationship with Chanos that is the subject of lore and jealousy among rival business writers. At Fortune, McLean wrote features about the Australian bank Macquarie and Fairfax Financial—both companies on which Chanos had significant short positions. Through McLean, Chanos had access into the pages of Fortune.”

The Catastrophe Capitalist

Jeffrey Sonnenfeld has been helpfully supplying near-malicious anti-Tesla soundbites in support of Jim Chanos's short positions for a long time, with impeccable market timing.

If Sonnenfeld is in any way connected to Yale's ~$30b investment fund:

Yale Investments Office

"Totaling $29.4 billion on June 30, 2018, the Endowment contains thousands of funds with a variety of purposes and restrictions. Approximately three-quarters constitute true endowment - gifts restricted by donors to provide long-term funding for designated purposes. The remaining one-quarter represents quasi-endowment, monies that the Yale Corporation chooses to invest and treat as endowment."
And if those Yale investments investments include auto and oil stocks, which are disrupted by Tesla, then the attacks of Sonnenfeld against Tesla might IMHO be a possible ethics violation, conflict of interest and maybe market manipulation.

Is there any public information about Yale's investments, and how they are affected by Tesla?

Last edited:
"He has also authored eight books, including The Hero's Farewell, an award-winning study of CEO succession, and another best seller, Firing Back, a study on leadership resilience in the face of adversity." CNBC bio
#Facepalm

Some Sonnenfeld insight on CNBC:
It's so disappointing when people so educated and distinguished are such morons.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We stopped Pravduh for a few reasons, but a big one was that it seemed too combative or seemed to stimulate too much combat.
I think it was a valuable exercise though.
Few years down the road the media will say they were always balanced and objective and anything else that anybody else claims is simply false.
Would be hard to prove otherwise then with half the articles already deleted.
But you had it was measured and the record remains. Might be an interesting info to review by future generations - how the well being of all was played by a few.

I have dry powder at this point. Debating on holding off on buying the shares until Friday in case there's a bear attack. If the number surprise though I would miss out on the 220-230 range.....decisions.....decisions
I'm facing the same dilemma (probably others too). You can either go ahead buy the shares, and then buy some puts. Or you can buy some calls, which is what I did. I'm fine with it moving either way. Not advice, JM2C.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla Model 3, S & X Sales In U.S. In June 2019

The inside EV's article states:
  • Quarterly, this makes for an estimated total of 53,300 S/X/3 in the U.S.

Sorry if I missed something, and I do appreciate what they do, but isn't InsideEVs always just guessing on Tesla?

I've never seen any indication they have data no one else has, yet people seem to assume they do. Maybe I missed an update?

So compared to a year ago, Model X sales are actually up slightly, while Model S sales are down by about 40%.

it appears the Model 3 is cannibalizing the Model S far more than the Model X ... I suppose that makes sense. The X has much more to differentiate itself -- the gull wing doors, the SUV trappings, and the third row of seats. The Model S will need more than a suspension upgrade and minor range bump in order to stay viable as a a significant step up from the 3. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

*I know it's not "technically" delayed, but they already have a good idea of what the numbers are.

They don't want to release a "good idea" of what the numbers are, they want to release the actual numbers. With International deliveries having ramped up significantly, they want to release numbers they won't have to revise at a later date. With the final number relying on so many local offices around the world, and no visibility into what kind of issues might happen at one or more of them, I would suggest not even trying to read those tea leaves.

Sorry if I missed something, and I do appreciate what they do, but isn't InsideEVs always just guessing on Tesla?

I've never seen any indication they have data no one else has, yet people seem to assume they do. Maybe I missed an update?

They're estimating. But they have a good track record.

To really be a Tesla killer, a car needs to be competitive to Model 3 (and soon Y) in terms of:
  • price
  • performance
  • range
  • charging speed and infrastructure
  • style
  • features (auto pilot, OTA upgrades, etc)
Without all of those, it's just a car with batteries and an electric motor.

agreed, and its both hilarious and sad (and also staggering) that we all here know this, and yet CEOs at places like BMW cant understand it.