Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In recent years I have switched over to using Turo rather than traditional rental companies. With Turo, EV's are available in most USA markets.
Our first Tesla experience (Model S), was a 2 day rental through Turo. It blew our minds so far into space that we literally did not want to return the car. Being law abiding citizens and all, we did return it. o_O But it left a hole in our hearts so deep, that it was only filled again 2 years later when we took delivery of our beloved Model 3. :)

When the union plumbers got called in to plumb the Comcast skyscraper in Philadelphia they held up the works for two weeks because the plans called for waterless urinals.

This lower amount of copper lines was unacceptable so they sat on their hands until a "compromise" was negotiated. They'd run the copper lines just in case any future tenants wanted to use traditional urinals. So we now have a half mile of unused copper pipe behind the walls.

This the type of thing I believe Elon is trying to avoid. :)
So perhaps there will need to be two dedicated “union” lines at Fremont. One that allows union worker to assemble ICE cars and the other one (adjacent and running in the opposite direction) to disassemble them. Fixed cost of doing business.

Random question - any benefits of getting onto Discord?

Please keep this thread. I know it goes off topic a lot and people complain about it, but please don’t lose sight of how great it is.

I’ve been lurking here for years but I rarely post because I’m not an engineer or a finance guy, so I don’t feel I have much to add. But I love this thread - I’ve learned so much from so many people on here. Please remember that for every active poster on this thread there are countless people quietly lurking and reading. I’d have sold my shares long ago if it hadn’t been for this thread. I doubt I’m alone.

Thank you all so much.

The Singapore government has quite famously been saying that EVs are overall worse for the environment than ICE, when you include construction / battery and hence there is close to zero penetration here (you see a few BYD taxis). Very smart and wealthy Singaporeans believe what the government says. I really wish there was a dedicated unit at Tesla to counter bad info, not just in the media but among policy makers around the world. It’s not just about the stock price...
I believe what the Singapore government said was cars were not good for the environment. People should be using mass transit.

Singapore forgoes Tesla's electric 'lifestyle' for buses

As a side note.... I have heard Singapore described as a shopping mall of 4 million people. High population density with little land.

Last edited:
This author must just be trolling us. I guess Wired having a whole bunch of glowing Taycan coverage last month could tell us where these bizarre quotes originated.

Speed Is Killing the Planet. Time to Focus on Efficiency
The climate crisis is rushing at us like a bullet train. We have to stop obsessing over velocity and become efficiency fanatics.

The internal combustion engine is rocketing us deeper into a climate crisis that demands an immediate—and big—reduction in those emissions. Hyperloops might run on clean electricity, but it would take decades for them to become extensive enough to replace a significant number of cars.

We don't have time to wait for Muskian fixes—or electric self-driving vehicles that move through the streets with the kinetic coordination of a school of fish.

Still, Americans drive more than 3 trillion miles a year, almost all of them in vehicles that attack our lungs and our planet. We need to use all the weapons in our arsenal to get out of those carbon-burning cars.

Huh? Does this guy not know the M3 was released and that you can buy it with cheap rooftop solar?

Wired Magazine......right on the cutting edge.

Had a shock at the pump a month ago when three of the four pumps had no gas— this was before the oil price manipulation err drone strike... SO was silent as we waited to fill her car, could have taken the MX instead—Southlake tx

At the risk of sounding a bit abrupt, please consider educating your SO a bit on why the Tesla is nearly always going to be the better vehicle to take.

Every time you buy gas you simply add to the problem, and it's one Hell of a problem since we have one usable planet. (Plus, the externalities here are cruel, rude and mean.)

Thx.

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

"[The size of] a cavity under a glacier plays an important role in melting," said the study's lead author, Pietro Milillo of JPL. "As more heat and water get under the glacier, it melts faster."

Numerical models of ice sheets use a fixed shape to represent a cavity under the ice, rather than allowing the cavity to change and grow. The new discovery implies that this limitation most likely causes those models to underestimate how fast Thwaites is losing ice.

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

[truncated]

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Drax7 and EVNow
When the union plumbers got called in to plumb the Comcast skyscraper in Philadelphia they held up the works for two weeks because the plans called for waterless urinals.

This lower amount of copper lines was unacceptable so they sat on their hands until a "compromise" was negotiated. They'd run the copper lines just in case any future tenants wanted to use traditional urinals. So we now have a half mile of unused copper pipe behind the walls.

This the type of thing I believe Elon is trying to avoid. :)
Not exactly.The Comcast build of 2006 was before waterless urinals were code approved. Early on, the inspectors in many areas only allowed their installation if a water line was also included to allow them to be replaced in the event the new technology didn't work long term.
Waterless compromise reached in Philly
The parties reached agreement in April that water supply piping would be installed behind the wall, although not connected. The installation of the 116 urinals in the building would be considered a five-year trial. The urinals would be replaced during that period if they did not work. And Liberty Property Trust would not install waterless urinals in any other building in the city during the five-year trial. The city's plumbing review board approved the deal.

There were only 2 urinals per floor, 116 total. Hard to see how they would use 22 ft of pipe per unit.

So perhaps there will need to be two dedicated “union” lines at Fremont. One that allows union worker to assemble ICE cars and the other one (adjacent and running in the opposite direction) to disassemble them. Fixed cost of doing business.

I marked this post as "funny" but it illustrates an important point to those people who believe technological advancement costs jobs.

There are an infinite number of potential jobs if we are willing to pay people to do nothing useful. Which is what we would be doing if we stop advancing because "jobs will be lost".

Not exactly.The Comcast build of 2006 was before waterless urinals were code approved. Early on, the inspectors in many areas only allowed their installation if a water line was also included to allow them to be replaced in the event the new technology didn't work long term.
Waterless compromise reached in Philly
That was the polished final story. Well before this the city L&I folks fully approved waterless urinals without the need for redundant piping. Only after the owner and union worked out a deal did the narrative pop up with the owner stating this redundant setup was their plan all along. The city did not require it.

Huh? Does this guy not know the M3 was released and that you can buy it with cheap rooftop solar?

Wired Magazine......right on the cutting edge.
That is not what he is saying. He says we don’t have time to build those cars. And in many ways he is right. But that is not a dig against Tesla. That is saying without much more production (other makers now in volume) we won’t have enough electric cars in time.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
ED: I think the price cut was a bit under $1000/2000/5000 for SR+/AWD/P, respectively. Let's just act like it's exactly that. So the prices (Q2 / Q3) would be:

SR+: $39990 / $38990
AWD: $49990 / $47990
P: $60990 / $55990

Let's say P is 4% of sales in Q2 and 8% of sales in August. This yields a Q2 ASP (without options) of $44930 and an August ASP (without options) of $45570. $640 more in August. But battery costs average about $400 more, assuming about a $2k difference in pack costs. Maybe 1/2% higher margins on Model 3, not accounting for the COGS decline. Which I expect to add several percent to margins.
Coming back to 3 trim mix - and ASP - we have,

NY :
Q2 : 55% SR/SR+ (ASP : 44.9k)
Aug : 35% SR/SR+ (ASP : 45.6k)

NL+NO+SP :
Q2 : 6% SR+
Q3: 35% SR+

Does anyone remember if there were price change in EU for 3 ? How about S/X ?

Last edited:
The UAW's goal in unionizing Freemont is to destroy Tesla from the inside.
That is unfounded speculation, stated as fact.

https://uaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/EV-White-Paper-Spring-2019.pdf

Environmental Policy: Strong environmental standards can be structured as a win-win for the environment, workers, and the economy. Environmental policy should be used to address climate change while also promoting investment in future technologies that create quality jobs in the process.

Environmental Concerns: To address global warming and climate change, consumers and governments worldwide expect greener products. Transportation accounts for over a quarter of all U.S. greenhouse gas emissions per year5 and EVs present a way to drastically reduce those emissions.​

Last edited:
It's funny you talk about Tesla needing to counter "bad info".

Your claim that the Singapore government has been actively discouraging EV adoption due to lifecycle emissions didn't ring true to me. So I tried to confirm or deny this by searching for statements from the Singapore government regarding EV lifecycle emissions. I couldn't find any. I'm not saying some official, somewhere in Singapore, didn't make such a claim, but I'm still looking for it.

What I found instead was that the Singapore Transport minister was in partnership with private companies to subsidize the installation of an EV charging network in Singapore. I also learned that residents are eligible for large tax breaks/purchase subsidies of clean vehicles.

Can you provide a link to what you are talking about? Because I found the Singapore government to be actively supporting the electrification of its cars.
Take my local advice or leave it. I really don’t care enough about the point to argue with you

That is unfounded speculation, stated as fact.

And do you doubt even for a second that's exactly what would happen if Tesla let the UAW into the Freemont plant?

Think about it, they have a lot more auto jobs to protect than the few that work at Freemont. Granted, they couldn't ever explicitly say that was their goal but every decision they made would be with an eye to accomplishing just that. And this is coming from someone who is generally pro-union, at least in principle. But the UAW has been corrupt for decades now and it appears to just becoming more corrupt. I don't even believe they work for the auto workers anymore (haven't for a long time).