Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize kicking off the Apple talk last night and destroying todays thread. We should definitely be focusing on The Pickup Truck reveal date being announced and the S&P upgrade which led to this afternoons strong TSLA rally.

Having said that.....

re Apple.

I DO NOT WANT APPLE TO BUY TESLA (even though I’m an Apple shareholder and think it would be great from an Apple perspective). The potential ROI from my Tesla investments are way higher as a standalone company than if it was absorbed by Apple.

But, to lay out some of the advantages of Apple acquiring Tesla:

- Money. Obviously. Lots of it, Tesla would no longer have any debt to service (an immediate ~$700 million boost to net income), and Tesla would have virtually unlimited capital to build as many Gigafactories as it needs immediately. It also wouldn’t need to worry about short sellers or hitting quarterly targets.

- Customer base. Apples 1 billion users make up the majority of the worlds wealthiest people, the type of consumers who buy new cars. Its user base also leans liberal / environmentally aware. Having those billion users seeing Tesla vehicles having the Apple seal of approval (and backing) would lead to a lot more people jumping into a Tesla.

- Stores. Extensive global retail network (ever notice how Tesla stores are usually located near to Apple stores?). There is plenty of room in most Apple stores to display a vehicle or two.

- Chip design. Apple mobile chips are years ahead of competitors, no one matches Apple mobile chip performance on a performance per watt Basis, and undoubtedly be helpful for Tesla chip design.

- Business model: Similar to Tesla, entering commoditised markets and creating high margin products via superior software and industrial design, integrated ecosystem, and a direct to customer support network. (PCs, Mobile phones, MP3 players, Tablets, retail software are all very low single digit margin businesses for everyone else) Note: Apple current hardware margin is 31%, similar to Tesla target margin
(Apples company wide gross margin is ~38% due to its high margin services at ~64% GM). Apple also isn‘t afraid to sell low/zero margin products if it believes it furthers the company goals and/or will be profitable in the future (see App Store, which initially operated at a loss before becoming wildly profitable as it grew larger)

- Manufacturing experience: contrary to what many here seem to think Apple has for the past two decades been deeply involved with creating new manufacturing techniques for its products, and it also actually owns most of the manufacturing equipment installed at 3rd party assemblers in China.

- Security conscious: Of all big tech, Apple is the only one which doesn’t have an interest in selling user data, and goes out of its way to make it harder for others to do so. This will be increasingly an advantage as governments get more agitated by breaches of citizen privacy, which becomes very relevant for driverless cars and its associated constant vision capture capability.

- Environmentally minded: Apple makes large investments in renewable energy to power its data centres and facilities, and goes to extra lengths to ensure its products are environmentally friendly and as recyclable as possible. Of all the potential acquirers I struggle to think of anyone else that is as green as Apple, and that has the retail experience to add green energy & EV products to its line up.

- China Friendly: Tesla has done amazing work in getting China support for GF3, and Apple is really the only other large cap tech company that has a similar relationship with China leadership. Most other US tech is essentially locked out of china.

- Future product impact: Apples next major hardware product is going to be Augmented Reality glasses. The opportunity for impact on drivers is potentially large, and it would be better for Tesla to have integration with the next major consumer computing wave if it reaches mass adoption.

I also think the “Tim Cook only cares about immediate profits“ comments have it wrong. Sure Tim Cook has tripled the market cap value of Apple since taking over from Steve Jobs, but it has come from multiple many years long investments in R&D for new products and services. Apple first assembled its Project Titan team back in 2013, around the same time it was first in talks to acquire Tesla. It has invested a lot of money in EV & autonomous driving, and clearly thinks it is the future.

Apple also has a history of acquiring what it cant do itself - it acquires 2 to 3 dozen companies a year. Its biggest acquisitions are done when it realises it cant do it internally. It bought NeXt when it realized it needed a new operating system (also had the advantage of bringing SJ back). It acquired Beats when it realised it didnt have what it took to create a good streaming music service. It acquihired a hollywood executive team when it realised it had no idea how to make good TV shows.

To sum up, I don’t want Apple to buy Tesla, unless someone else attempts to acquire Tesla first, in which case I absolutely want Apple to buy Tesla.

Last edited:
Along with @kbM3 and some others, I am uncomfortable with the German incentives as currently understood.

A €6000 incentive, it appears, means in fact the authorities are saying "If YOU drop the price by €3000 then WE will give the purchaser another €3000".

Does anyone think this is or is not a reasonable interpretation? Is this an efficient way to present an incentive package? Is the rational automaker going to -

1. Swallow the €3000 reduced margin?
2. Raise base price by €3000?
3. Split the above two?
4. Shift its marketing emphasis to another market?
5. Decide that the increase in demand for its product brought about by that shifted price line overcomes the lowered margin so that the German market is in fact a more robust one than it otherwise would have been, thus happily sell at the newly-created base price?
5. Something else?

My feeling:

Germans are used to getting discounts for new car purchases. They range from 5 % to over 20 % depending on circumstances.

In other words: the SRP is just a maximum price the dealer can charge and has nothing to do with the street price.

Thus the manufacturers can easily swallow the 3,000 € (yes, we write the nomination behind the number) because it is taken into account when setting the suggested retail price.

My predictions for these three companies:

Apple/Titan - they will not make cars, but maybe will make a version of FSD they can sell to automakers if Waymo does not beat them to it.

Blue Origin - they move way too slowly to compete with SpaceX - they might be able to just copy Starship once they get New Glenn flying. They will be 5-10 years behind SpaceX though which seems too far.

Waymo - I think they will succeed 2-3 years after Tesla.

What do you think of the chances for Intel/MobilEye/NIO ?

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexS
ANY involvement between Apple and Tesla would cause a violent move to $700s and would wipe out the $TSLAQ meme for good. It could be Apple purchasing a stake, software involvement, anything.

Apple has better chance to help incumbents with building software stack.
Apple can't help Tesla for h/w,s/w, auto, battery, solar, power wall ...
So it's only monies - and they didn't make a move in the low 180's ... so I think that time has passed as well.

Well I let the China factory thing get to my head and I sold my calls which are of course up significantly today. Damn you Mercury Retrograde!

Strong share position still intact.

Indeed, that appears to have been a problem. ;)

upload_2019-11-6_15-58-59.png

OK it's Retrograde for all 12 then :) -- but depends on whether you are Long/Short TSLA Moon though :)
I'm long AF todamoon (the couple calls I unloaded were medium term though, Jun 2020), but I was getting extremely frazzled over perceived mixed messages about Chinese factory developments/greenlighting.
I was probably being a little paranoid

I'm long AF todamoon (the couple calls I unloaded were medium term though, Jun 2020), but I was getting extremely frazzled over perceived mixed messages about Chinese factory developments/greenlighting.
I was probably being a little paranoid

The increased risks involved in options trading can raise the level to which emotions control decisions. Nevertheless, the market makers and hedge funds are always happy to serve you. Holding the underlying stocks for the long run makes sleeping easier, and is more likely to lead to wealth accumulation. :cool:

Intel -

Advantages for MobliEye:
They use vision first
They have been making progress over last decade
They have EV partners who will probably scale up their fleet within 5 years
They have deep funding via Intel
Can quickly develop custom chip via Intel collab

Disadvantages:
They are 3 separate companies - leading to integration problems and delays
They are slower compared to Tesla (why Tesla left), but obviously much faster than Auto OEMs
NIO only have 15K cars atm - will take a lot of time and money to scale that up. Same applies for other auto OEMs they want to supply and collect data for.

Overall I put them in roughly the same boat as Waymo - I think they will get there - just 2-3 years after Tesla. The main aspect holding them back is fleet size for data collection, and politics of coordinating between companies. There is only a small window of a few years from when Tesla reaches FSD during which competitors can duplicate the technology before Tesla becomes a monopoly. What do you think about MobilEye?

This big, high volume price move which started at 2:30pm is due to the S&P debt outlook upgrade of Tesla's bonds from "negative" to "positive":

This kills a major pillar of the bear thesis and should boost the bonds as well, plus other ripple effects. This might bring a number of new institutional investors on board as well.

Bonds are still rated "B-" - the change in outlook is a precursor to a potential future S&P upgrade.

This upgrade and news is not easily nullified.

TSLA up 2.7% right now, against macro headwinds: Nasdaq -0.3%.

Not advice.
Wait until they hit BBB or "investment grade". Many funds limit their investments to this rating or above. It's like a mini S&P500 inclusion.

Btw., I was curious about how far away Tesla is from a Moody's upgrade. Their latest update was on August 20, when they upgraded Tesla from SGL-4 to SGL-3, outlook "stable":

Moody's - credit ratings, research, tools and analysis for the global capital markets

"Finally, Tesla's liquidity position is now adequate, reflected by the SGL-3. Its $5 billion cash position will afford an important cushion to meet maturing debt obligations through 2021 and to contend with the operational challenges it will face during the coming year.

These challenges include: 1) improving the gross margin of its automotive operations while containing the losses in its solar and auto service businesses; 2) effectively executing the rapid expansion into Europe, where demand seems sound; 3) contending with ongoing US-China trade tensions as the company builds out the Shanghai production facility and launches the Chinese-market Model 3; and, 4) contending with the coming launch of more competitive battery electric vehicles (BEVs) from global automotive competitors."​

I believe all 4 conditions have been met meanwhile, and a couple of days ago Tesla paid back $560m in Solar City bonds in cash, deleveraging their balance sheet.

So in a fair world, where cash incineration machine Uber is rated by Moody's at B2, while profitable, 1 billion dollars per quarter cash generation machine Tesla is rated at a lower B3, it would be high time for Moody's to upgrade Tesla's bonds to B2 or higher, outlook "positive". ;)
As an FYI, few people care about the liquidity rating (SGL). They care about the long term credit rating. (the ABC's).