Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an invite. Why, I have no idea. I was on the 3 pre-reveal waitlist, I bought a P3D and I subsequently purchased FSD when put on sale for $2k. Somehow I doubt that or the Instagram photos of my car or my 45 “devout” Instagram followers (whichIncludes all the hot 22-year old women who inexplicably want to date this oldish retired guy. ;-) ) have come to the attention of Tesla‘s PR department.

Unfortunately I’m “stuck” in Phuket, Thailand and won’t make it back for the festivities. It’s a shame I cant transfer the invite!
I'm sure it is because of your use of the phrase "I have a huge crush on my car!" When you said that I realized that is exactly how I feel about my model 3, and I continue to say it every chance I get. Thank you.

They need to ditch the per-manufacturer crap.

First come, first serve, for any manufacturer.
While that would be in the interest of the citizens, the country and the planet, it does not ensure a "balance" in the treatment of the manufacturers. I wish the former were more important then trying to protect the profits of the legacy makers. :rolleyes:

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
most people that drive fords will probably choose a ford EV if prices are similar
A friend of mine has a 64 Mustang and is very interested in the e-Mustang. He was asking me if I had heard of it and what my thoughts were, and I talked about the benefits of having an electric car. He now seems sold on his next car being an EV. I encouraged him to try a Model 3 or S while he is looking and he said he would. Compelling EVs from other companies help increase the size of the pie, and there will be a large set of people who open their eyes to EVs for the first time as a result, and I'm sure some of them will choose Tesla.

Probably not a huge untapped market of potential car owners either....

That's actually pretty sad reality.

In China it's next to impossible to buy a dumb phone for years. Yet many people struggle to learn to use the smart phone, most whom are older people with low income. And since many of the government aids are implemented online, some of the most needed are not informed about them.

I suspect in 5 years we see several OEM go bust and cars becomes cellphones on wheels, leaving some people behind.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
PS. The area is just a pine plantation so just one kind of trees all planted in neat rows that has little to do with a natural forest.
Those types of "forests" are pretty much deserts in terms of wildlife.
We don't actually know the Y's dimensions for certain, just that it'll be 10% bigger than the 3 (and signs are that it is slightly longer, but mostly taller).

That's not actually small by European standards. On some environmentalist blogs I follow, there was noise being made in Berlin about banning SUVs after a fatal crash involving a Porsche Macan, which is likely in the same size ballpark as the Model Y (not as long, and lower, but a bit wider, most likely).

So, CUVs (which, contrary to earlier discussion, are SUV-like vehicles that aren't set up for offroad, due to fundamentally being tall cars - exactly what the Models X and Y are) are definitely being targeted in addition to actual SUVs.

That said, Smarts are actually terrible for emissions - they can reduce parking space requirements (although in practice legal considerations mean they just take a full-size space for one car), but not emissions, due to their being too short to have good aerodynamics.

But, talking specifically of a non-American urban context (because American cities that grew significantly after the 1940s are really suburban, not urban), there are other options like mass transit and cycling and even walking if things are set up right. That's I think part of the point that a lot of people are going for.
We certainly have enough info on the Y to make those broad comparisons. It isn't small by EU standards, but it's hardly some hulking beast. Most cars in Germany I see were in the mid-sized range.

Smart was just a random example. But either way, people don't like being told it's all or nothing. :)

A friend of mine has a 64 Mustang and is very interested in the e-Mustang. He was asking me if I had heard of it and what my thoughts were, and I talked about the benefits of having an electric car. He now seems sold on his next car being an EV. I encouraged him to try a Model 3 or S while he is looking and he said he would. Compelling EVs from other companies help increase the size of the pie, and there will be a large set of people who open their eyes to EVs for the first time as a result, and I'm sure some of them will choose Tesla.

Even if he doesn't go Tesla it would be great to see him buy the Mach-e.