Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is Carsonight with the reveal on increased cell production, where are the supplier order volume increases, etc.

Here you go:

Carsonight:

"I have it on good authority that GF1 is ramping up to 10k batteries per week. In China, initial production of 3k per week will be batteries from GF1."
:D

He wrote that a month ago.

Note how according to the CleanTechnica leak, Tesla stopped sending excess battery packs to GF3 in Q3:

Tesla Gigafactory 3 Has ~7,000 Battery Packs In Stock For Chinese Model 3 Production, Will Use LG Chem Cells In 2020 | CleanTechnica

"Tesla Gigafactory 1 has been supplying battery packs to Gigafactory 3 since the beginning of August. The company has been sending between 400 and 750 battery packs per week depending on what was needed in the Fremont factory at the time. The final shipment for 2019 was sent 2 weeks ago. So, basically 2019 GF3 battery packs were shipped over a period of 12 weeks."​

Why would they need the full 8k-10k/week Model 3 battery pack production capacity in Q4?

Last edited:
Europeans are a special bunch. They’ll complain about the environmental impact of a large EV truck, but they’ve had no issue being the biggest supporters of diesel cars/trucks. You can’t make this stuff up....
Blaming Europeans as a collective - or even European regulators to an extent - for supporting diesels is a bit problematic, considering that they were lied to (although they do have slightly superior CO2 emissions performance compared to non-hybrid gasoline vehicles (not hybrids though, and not EVs), although some automakers have caught up most of that gap with much lower-cost technology than diesels need). Then organizations figured out that the criteria pollutant emissions performance was a lie, and diesel support is evaporating. (I will blame European regulators for some massive loopholes in NEDC that the automakers successfully lobbied for, but then, those loopholes weren't just used for diesels, they were also used for gasoline cars, and I'd be wholly unsurprised if some of the legacy automakers' EVs have using them as well. In any case, due to Dieselgate bringing attention to those loopholes, WLTP+RDE attempts to close them.)

And, plenty of entrenched interests are releasing FUD-laden studies (use Chinese manufacturing processes that aren't optimized to minimize emissions and use coal power, and then apply those results to a Tesla+Panasonic cell made with cutting-edge processes to minimize emissions, and made with renewable electricity), those FUD-laden studies get picked up by well-meaning metastudies, and that perpetuates further lies (sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally).

Additionally, a truck large enough to compete with American full-size pickups will almost certainly be too large to work well for most of the European market (I know KarenRei has said that Iceland is an exception, and I suspect there's other parts of Northern Europe that are exceptions). This creates problems for parking, road width (something American width can easily end up not fitting in some areas), safety (more mass means more danger to people walking, on bicycles, and in smaller cars, and an "armored personnel carrier" doesn't sound like something designed to work well for pedestrian crash safety regulations), as well as energy consumption (which, yes, doesn't matter as much with renewables... but it still matters, especially if you're supply-limited on renewables (in which case people adopting vehicles with excessive energy consumption because they're "cool" actually slows down the transition to sustainable energy)).

I've said before, I see Tesla as harm reduction. The best thing is to optimize cities for people, not cars, and have efficient, frequent, and clean mass transit, and safe, useful cycling infrastructure. But, you're going to have a lot of situations where cars and trucks are unavoidable (whether because people are doing things where mass transit is simply impractical and distances are too far for cycling, or because they simply won't give up their car and in fact will move further out from the urban core to keep their car), and that's where Tesla (automotive) comes in, to make that more sustainable than it currently is.

People who don't currently have or need trucks rushing out and buying Cybrtrks actually does reduce sustainability from the baseline.

I had the same fantasy that the Mach E might be Tesla on the inside, but the thing that convinced me it wasn't is that the charging speed is way lower than Model Y. My current theory is that they are just lying about the specs for now to match the Model Y, and hope to figure something out in the next year. Maybe the false specs will keep the stock up for another year and allow the exec's to collect a nice yearly bonus?

Regarding the Mach E, if it's any other automaker's product underneath, I'd guess it's an ID Crozz variant, given Ford's already-announced partnership with VW on the MEB platform. (That partnership announcement is what actually got me to get out of my bear position against Ford - it changed my thesis (which was based on a purely backwards-looking move towards ICE SUVs and pickups only) enough to look for a good exit point and not stay in.)

However, I thought the Mach E was announced as being something other than that...

I think I understand quite fine... my first cell phone was a Motorola Brick, and I've owned a plethora of models up to my current iPhone X. I drove my folk's 1961 Plymouth Valiant (replete with push-button transmission), up through my current Model S. I've lived through the changes of interfaces of both phone and cars, as many here have,

By and large the items you describe are simply non-issues for the majority. Yes, I occasionally mis-type on my iPhone virtual keyboard. But I also inadvertently press the wrong key on my Blackberry. The iPhone is still a vastly more capable device. Likewise I occasionally don't hit the temp control squarely enough on my Model S to register. But then again I've accidentally hit the control stalk on my Toyota and triggered the wipers when I didn't mean too either. The S is still car in another league.

My point is that for the vast majority of folks, these aren't showstoppers. And as the newer generations compose more and more of the car buying market, the objection will be less and less. For those that remain, there's the Jitterbug, and it's numerous automotive equivalents.

As for updates: I have a 2013 Model S. Original MCU 1 design. After 6-1/2 years of owning it I just got Spotify. I expect next update to add departure-based charge scheduling. Of course support will stop at some point... I can't get some replacement parts for older cars either. But until then, what's this nonsense about not getting useful updates?

What I took from this is that you have poor fine motor hand skills. I don’t want you as my Jenga partner. No offense.

So, the chance of it happening is about .1%, and you somehow thought you needed to say, "no". I mean, I think that is pretty obvious and why it is described as a "CRAZY" prediction. If you had something meaningful to add to the thought, I could see you posting it, but stating the obvious could have went unsaid. But I'm sure you feel good about yourself - you know, all-knowing, and everything.

EDIT: Hey - someone just told me about the ignore button. That works very well. Only wish I had known 10 minutes earlier.

So the purpose of you posting a .1% ‘crazy’ prediction was what exactly? How was your post anymore helpful than mine?

Rhetorical.

People who don't currently have or need trucks rushing out and buying Cybrtrks actually does reduce sustainability from the baseline.
We need these trucks to trickle down from the posers. 2-5 years as a “city” truck and 20 years as a depreciated work truck is fine with me. As long as it fits 4x8 material, can tow, seats 4-5, get 80+mpge and is FSD it will be a winner for everyone. I want a fully depreciated one with only 50 miles of range left on a full charge as a beater right now, but it does not exist.

...calling Q4 a record quarter at this point is premature...but...there's not a single counterfactual I've been able to find, other than Tesla's track record of punishing our optimism most of the time.
OK, I'm going to call you out on this one. I just did a wayback from my vantage time-point of 4 Jan 2020, and dangnabbit, they couldn't get even this one right!:D

And where did Ford suddenly come up with the battery technology to allow a X-over to get 270 and 300 miles of range? Rivian? I doubt it.

That's like asking where did the President come up with the skills to become the greatest President ever. And the world's best negotiator. Or how he has more respect for women than any other person.

The source of the technology for all of these accomplishments comes from the same place. You just pull it outta your ass! This is easy in 2019.

No partnerships until Battery Day. If battery tech takes a giant leap, partnerships might be imminent.

Same for FSD, no one will want the half-balked solution. But were FSD to be complete, others would be willing to pay premium to get the tech .. and Tesla could sell them both h/w (new chips) and Software.

All this partnership talk just does not feel right to me. While Tesla has always said they are open to it, I can’t see anyone in the old guard able to agree to Elon’s terms.

Tesla is for everyone’s benefit not Tesla’s benefit. Name one other OEM that is for the good of all rather than just their bottom line.

Never mind Elon’s response to the partnership question last ER call. He clearly paused. Was going to say something then changed his mind and responded in a less than enthusiastic way with a PC answer.

Partnership with another OEM was not on his mind. It’s not happening anytime soon, if ever. There’s not a single OEM that can be altruistic enough. They’re all about saving their huge bonuses.

Has anyone else seen this garbage? It gives the specs of the model 3 mid-range when touting the BMW's specs. But then claims the Model 3s starting price is $64,000.

Again I will ask, is this bad journalism? Or an intentional attempt to deceive?

Robb Report on BMW i4

Or irrelevant. Who is "Robb Report"?

Edit: I see. An American Lifestyle magazine. Is it popular/widely read?

Speculation

Cyber truck name
Building a cyber dragon tweet
Logo is a transformation of Tesla logo
Hints at something amazing

Tesla built a transformer

I actually doubt that, but there is my WAG for the speculation.

I’d believe Tesla built a Transformer long before I’d believe in a Ford partnership. For realz!

I don't think it is a bad thing at all if subway riding Greens in Europe are pissed off about Tesla's cybertruck. That will just make the people who actually buy trucks like it more. And Greens that love mass transit aren't going to buy a Tesla anyways, so who cares? As an aside, I feel that any "environmentalists" that complains about electric SUV's does not care about the environment so much, but cares deeply about telling other people what to do.

I'll let @bhtooefr answer this one for me. Also please all remember that US-like distances and car culture are pretty unique in the whole freaking world. The majority of people see cars differently.

I've said before, I see Tesla as harm reduction. The best thing is to optimize cities for people, not cars, and have efficient, frequent, and clean mass transit, and safe, useful cycling infrastructure. But, you're going to have a lot of situations where cars and trucks are unavoidable (whether because people are doing things where mass transit is simply impractical and distances are too far for cycling, or because they simply won't give up their car and in fact will move further out from the urban core to keep their car), and that's where Tesla (automotive) comes in, to make that more sustainable than it currently is.

Reactions: Lessmog
CYBRTRK interest will be huge. Thursday November 21st, 2019 will be a watershed moment for Tesla, and personal transportation. The 2016 Tesla M3 reveal event will pale in comparison.

The worldwide market for pick-up trucks far outpaces sedans by a factor of four to five.
Ford sold 909,330 F-series pick-up trucks. The three best selling vehicles are all pick-ups.
The best selling sedan is the Toyota Camry in 8th place at 343,439 with the Honda Civic in 9th place at 325,760.
20 Best-Selling Cars And Trucks Of 2018
Just a minor correction: USA != World. But yes, the pick-up market in the US is huge. Success will depend on 1, how crazy Elon got with the design (one key Tesla success factor was that their cars look like normal cars) 2, how quickly thy can start making them.

PS: For instance the US and European new car market is roughly the same size (2018 US was 17.3M Europe was 15.6M), but about 8 of the European Top 10 would fit in the back of an F150.

That's like asking where did the President come up with the skills to become the greatest President ever. And the world's best negotiator. Or how he has more respect for women than any other person.

The source of the technology for all of these accomplishments comes from the same place. You just pull it outta your ass! This is easy in 2019.

Seriously.....literally auto maker who released their Tesla-killer car has lied about their specs. They literally wait until the last min to confirm official EPA numbers because they know their targets were BS. At least Ford openly says "targets" lol. But I put like a 5% chance of them hitting those numbers at those prices.

As someone mentioned, the only way they could is through low product numbers as a compliance car. Not trying to call anyone out on this forum but I'm a bit surprised so many are taking those specs seriously given what's happened from Tesla killers over the past year and a half o_O