Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
There is no chance this truck unveil "impresses". We may or may not like the design and will certainly be impressed with the capabilities, but I think from an investment perspective it's likely a sell event. Way too different and hard to hold up next to existing market offerings.

Wow, how'd you get to see what it looks like??? Where did you find out enough to know how it holds up next to existing market offerings??? Share, share! ;)

Pezpunk

Aug 12, 2016
Bristow, VA
OT factoids (but not cybertruck related)

Hardwood vs softwood refers to the seed formation. Angiosperms have and outer shell (acorn, walnut) are hardwoods. Pines are gymnosperms without a covering.
What is the difference between a hardwood and a softwood?

Balsa, the least dense wood, is a hardwood.
Douglas fir is mechanically hard, but is a softwood.

additional OT facts: the word "factoid" traditionally refers to untrue (but often repeated) statements. It's basically an older version of the phrase "Fake news". Through widespread misuse, however, the second usage ("brief and/or trivial facts") has arisen. Ironic that the term "factoid", which originally literally meant fake news, has mutated to refer to real news. Ironic, but apropos for the times we now live in, i suppose.

from M-W:

We can thank Norman Mailer for the word factoid; he coined the term in his 1973 book Marilyn, about Marilyn Monroe. In the book, Mailer explains that factoids are "facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper, creations which are not so much lies as a product to manipulate emotion in the Silent Majority." In creating his coinage, Mailer relied on "-oid," a suffix that traces back to the ancient Greek word eidos, meaning "appearance" or "form." Mailer followed in a long tradition when he chose "-oid"; English speakers have been making words from "-oid" since at least the late 16th century.

Chenkers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 28, 2019
Melbourne, AU
Don't they need that wood for the dashboards? Not destroyed, repurposed!

A better use for timber would be building the structure of GF4 out of wood. There is a big global move in building towards mass timber construction as it has much less embodied energy and can also be built quickly. Glu lam beams for the main structure and cross laminated timber for suspended slabs. Wood like spruce is typically used but they should also be able to use pine, although drying may be an issue for anything harvested on site.

Oslo airport is a nice example of what's possible with timber:
4l-image-42.jpg

elasalle

driVIN(188xx) it !!
Jan 26, 2016
VA
A better use for timber would be building the structure of GF4 out of wood. There is a big global move in building towards mass timber construction as it has much less embodied energy and can also be built quickly. Glu lam beams for the main structure and cross laminated timber for suspended slabs. Wood like spruce is typically used but they should also be able to use pine, although drying may be an issue for anything harvested on site.

Oslo airport is a nice example of what's possible with timber:
4l-image-42.jpg

Or Housing perhaps. Save the 1 hr commute from Downtown, unless EM liked the train ride too much.

Reactions: KarenRei

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
I can't imagine the factory itself being built out of timber, but office buildings, housing, furnishings, non-work-area flooring, etc would be a great idea. Just so long as they make it clear what they're doing with it, and connected to the project somehow, to get rid of the (inaccurate) notion that it's "wasted".

sundaymorning

Jul 26, 2013
Orange County
Reactions: Drumheller

Lessmog

Aug 24, 2013
Smögen
I can't imagine the factory itself being built out of timber, but office buildings, housing, furnishings, non-work-area flooring, etc would be a great idea. Just so long as they make it clear what they're doing with it, and connected to the project somehow, to get rid of the (inaccurate) notion that it's "wasted".
Imagine how much T-P can be made from all that biomass! Shorts will never live that down. ;)

kbM3

May 22, 2017
Orlando
Mod: ALL truck discussion goes to the dedicated thread. ALL Tesla Pickup/Truck discussion in this thread. . Moving posts is too much work, compared to just deleting them. This is a guideline, stay within it. --ggr

I really disagree with this. The cyber truck is the biggest event going on right now for Tesla. It seems like the most appropriate topic of conversation for this thread today and tomorrow. What are we supposed to talk about? Model Y, autonomy, solar roof… There are dedicated threads for all of these. The day before the model three reveal, we were not supposed to talk about the model three?

Is the only topic we are supposed to talk about the stock price?

Creekstalker

Mar 16, 2019
Georgia
I really disagree with this. The cyber truck is the biggest event going on right now for Tesla. It seems like the most appropriate topic of conversation for this thread today and tomorrow. What are we supposed to talk about? Model Y, autonomy, solar roof… There are dedicated threads for all of these. The day before the model three reveal, we were not supposed to talk about the model three?

Wood.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida

Yes, conform or be cast out

upload_2019-11-21_10-50-10.png

GOVA

Mr Gumble
Jul 12, 2013
yes
OT factoids (but not cybertruck related)

Hardwood vs softwood refers to the seed formation. Angiosperms have and outer shell (acorn, walnut) are hardwoods. Pines are gymnosperms without a covering.
What is the difference between a hardwood and a softwood?

Balsa, the least dense wood, is a hardwood.
Douglas fir is mechanically hard, but is a softwood.

Great post. Finally, we have this resolved.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland

$359,26
$359,19
$359,23
$359,25
$359,37
$359,33
$359,39

Just keeping you all informed! ;)

Lessmog

Aug 24, 2013
Smögen

And Toilet Boy's Paper Loss, of course?

Thumper

May 6, 2011
Portland, OR
OK, I'll oPINE on the wood topic, even though it is not investment relevant. Pines and firs were used for masts primarily for their form factor, I believe. If you could get ash to grow straight and true they would be much stronger. Think baseball bats.

sundaymorning

Jul 26, 2013
Orange County

First rule of Fight Club is you’re not suppose to talk about fight club.

First rule of cybertruck event is you’re not suppose to talk about cybertruck.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC