Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the bed-size issue:

Most of the pickups in my area, and nearly all of the working trucks, have an aftermarket tool box mounted behind the cab.

View attachment 480755

Like this one, most don't go all the way down to the deck, so you can still slide some lumber underneath.

That said, moving this storage into the locker underneath the bed (like the Honda Pilot) makes the Cybertruck's 6.5' bed more usable than most, and reduces the need for a long bed, for some folks, to some degree.

Anecdotally, most of my p/u friends prefer the looks and maneuverability of a short bed on a crew-cab truck. Those that have a long bed, just can't handle the size of a 6.5' box MINUS the bolt in tool storage.
Based on the large number of places to mount things (there are at least 100, some are mounting holes and some are vertical slats) there should be no issue with a tool box (although it will look different plus being able to put lumber beside or under it.

I really wish they made the 500 mile version to start. 300 miles is plenty IF you don't tow with it. Waiting another year will kill me, but buying the DM and selling it a year later is throwing money away.... Aargh! :confused:

Buy both... send the DM to do robo-work for you and bring in income after delivery of the TM.

I doubt this prototype vehicle was hermetically sealed. Probably the simple fact that the door was not tightly closed in the early tests allowed the window to move slightly and absorb some of the impact. I still think micro cracking was probably involved because the well supported glass sheets had no issue taking repeated impacts on stage.

Are we (including @Fact Checking ) convinced that the same ball thrown against standard truck side window glass would have gone completely through the glass, posing a very serious injury risk to the driver? Could the demo have shown that with that same standard white truck door?

Reactions: JRP3
“The thing I am most impressed with is, what did you undesign?” Elon Musk

How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Stamping, Castings and Paint shops? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Body Shop? Massively reduce welding requirements and reduce body shop size.
How do you reduce car chassis/frame and body panel costs? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce glass bending/curving costs? Make it flat.
How do you reduce body repair service and insurance costs? Make it undentable.
How do you reduce glass repair service and insurance costs? Make it unbreakable.
How do you reduce corrosion repair service and insurance costs? Make it corrosion resistant.
"Best part is no part. Best process is no process."

While I mostly agree with your points you forgot an important one:

TMY can be parked everywhere. TCT is too large for city parking spots. Atleast in Europe. Are most parking lots/garages in the US sized for full size trucks?

My TMX is already pushing the limits in parking garages and parking lots. As much as I would love to drive the TCT I also would need to use it as my daily driver. And to do that I need to park.

So no Cybertruck.

Most parking spots are big enough for full size trucks. They will fit, but often the rows are close together so you have to back in. Parking garages will sometimes have spots designated as compact only. Trying to park curbside in a big city, good luck finding an opening long enough.

Are most parking lots/garages in the US sized for full size trucks?
As someone said before (sorry don't remember who) every Cybertruck comes complete with a garage enlarger. Just park it in the garage to perform the enlargment. For me it will be a real lifesaver because of no hail damage.

Imma take up two or ten spots. What they gonna do? Shoot my truck? Tow it?
Just wait till a Parking Nazi tries to dent the Cybertruck by opening up their door really hard into it--oops. (The oops is on the Parking Nazi side when the edge of their door is folded over. Sorry, thought it was obvious).

Last edited:
I would definitely prefer an 8’ bed, but I can just leave the tailgate down for those 2x4s, plywood, etc... No biggie.

Also, I don't see much of a reason why Tesla couldn't extend the bed to 8 feet through taking space out of the cab.

The only reason I see it potentially not being practical - at this stage anyway, where things can be adjusted - is depending on the tonneau cover's routing into its storage compartment. If it goes straight down along the rear cab wall, then the cab wall position determines the storage compartment position, and therefore the rear of the pack, and therefore trading cab for bed would reduce pack size. If it goes back along the bottom of the bed before going into its storage compartment, then it'd be perfectly practical, it just has a longer length to travel (which means a slightly larger compartment would be needed, but at this stage it'd still be practical to do that.)

Are we (including @Fact Checking ) convinced that the same ball thrown against standard truck side window glass would have gone completely through the glass, posing a very serious injury risk to the driver? Could the demo have shown that with that same standard white truck door?
Yes. That's what would have happened. And this is the way we can tell it wasn't planned because if it was a planned demonstration, they would certainly have demonstrated it on the white door.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Not even remotely. It's too large for many purchasers--particularly those not in North America. Although Denise loves it, she just won't drive a large vehicle.

I would bet it actually increased Y orders in the short term. I'm not sure people realize how large this is and how much the driving experience varies between the two vehicles. There are significant advantages in the truck if they are utilized but also very big compromises and in cities there are incredible numbers of SUVs yet this is going to be a challenge for many drivers. I expect many changes before any launch including features, design tweaks and most significantly cost.

FSD is part of the vehicle, since you paid for it. So is Autopliot. They both transfer along with the vehicle to the next owner. You’re likely confused by the fact that FREE supercharging is not transferable.

It seems to me that if I trade in my Model S with FSD, that Tesla has the option to re-sell my car with or without FSD, because it a software configuration switch (assuming the car has HW3/AP3). This would support the argument that they could choose to give me explicit credit in the trade-in value for my FSD, especially if I am purchasing a new Tesla with FSD.

Has anyone been through this territory, and what the business case is for Tesla for this choice? I am interested both as an owner and an investor. At quick glance through the used Model 3s on the Tesla site, I don’t see mention of FSD. I would think that they could get a lot more FSD purchases from upgrades if they provided some explicit credit, at little cost if use that to toggle that piece of the resale price. The flip side is that requiring a purchase of FSD at trade-in is a bit of a barrier for a lot of us.

I would bet it actually increased Y orders in the short term. I'm not sure people realize how large this is and how much the driving experience varies between the two vehicles. There are significant advantages in the truck if they are utilized but also very big compromises and in cities there are incredible numbers of SUVs yet this is going to be a challenge for many drivers. I expect many changes before any launch including features, design tweaks and most significantly cost.
I'm 99.9% sure there won't be any major design changes. The website indicates plus/minus 10% on the cost, so it will be the same or very close to the price as shown.

I'm don't understand why Elon is still doing the whole gimmicky, way-out there features like bullet-proof glass. Tesla has clearly shown that they have the best electric drive train (including software) and assisted driving technology - with each improving constantly. Tesla does not need one-off technologies like falcon wing doors, bio-defense mode, or bullet proof glass any more to bring attention to their vehicles. They can make normal vehicles that simply feature exactly what Tesla does best and they will sell all they can make for the next 10, 20 years or more (if the other manufacturers can ever catch up).

Why waste time and resources on bullet proof glass? No one (ok, maybe 5 people) will say, "I don't want one....wait, it has bullet proof glass? I want one."

Tesla could put their drive train and AP in a wooden box square truck and sell them. People love Tesla vehicles because they are AWESOME to drive (and let drive). We don't need all the fancy - we just need to build factories and build as many NORMAL vehicles as possible. Build battery factories, not bullet proof glass.

And please don't tout the 150k deposits. I have 3 of them - 1 intentional and 2 unintentional. That happened to almost everyone. So the real number is probably 40-50k. Still impressive for that monstrosity, but Tesla could have rolled a square wooden truck out there and got 50k $100 deposits, especially with the deposit being $100. Heck, I put my chances of actually buying the truck at less than 2%, but i put down my $100 for the chance that they reshape the truck just a tad to make it a little nicer looking, and for the slim chance I can actually buy a 500 miles range, 2.9 seconds 0-60mph, FSD Tesla for $77k. Cause if I am EVER actually able to do that, I don't care WHAT it looks like, I will buy it. And bullet proof glass would have absolutely no impact either way on me buying it. ZERO. ZILCH.

I suggest we think about what you're implying, @SoGA Fan Club . What you're advocating is that Tesla would be successful by playing it safe, that it can get every innovation perfect first time. Remember they said the Model S would have a swappable battery? Not so easy.

The point is, Tesla's are incredible because they're incredible. They push the envelope more than any other mainstream manufacturer. They did "safe" with the Y (it's 75% the same as a proven winner, right?). The Cybertruck is not safe, but let's cut Elon and the team some slack, that they can imagine what will make the most sense tomorrow before we know it today. Time will tell, I'm guessing too.

Just wait till a Parking Nazi tries to dent the Cybertruck by opening up their door really hard into it--oops. (The oops is on the Parking Nazi side when the edge of their door is folded over. Sorry, thought it was obvious).

Do you mean because the truck is so large it's on the paint lines and the millennial that could not park it straight in the spot made it even worse? I'm sure there will be plenty of new names for the drivers of these in cities like Cyber Clown, UAV, (Uber Assault Vehicle), and the Electric Hummer. Huge market for large stereo systems and DJ setups in the back. The urban obnoxious factor should exceed that of some of the existing Tesla base with no effort. There will be lines of these entering Burning Man to where Tesla will need a mobile SC installed. Tesla also needs to do some work on gearing up for all the SC pedestals that will be torn off, have you watched some people try to back in with an X? More than anything it will be money well spent on free advertising as it will be in the news more than Tesla fires.

Hey, you can park in the Whole Foods lot waiting for the free Charge Point and watch the "Smug" episode of South Park on the 17" screen, assuming you can get in the underground garage without taking off a few Pious Mirrors. I mean Prius, sorry.:)

Last edited: