Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone should expect Tesla lower by the end of Friday. Holiday week = low volume in combination with an apparent renewed bear push.

The Cybertruck reveal was great timing for publicity and social conversation during family get togethers this week......but was terrible timing for the stock. Limited buying power. Doesnt matter how many orders Elon tweets about.

So sick of the shenanigans by now

For long term investors it would be healthy to stop looking at the ticker every couple of minutes. The only reason I know the stock price is because someone mentions it here. Short term fluctuations are meaningless if you are not a day trader and most of here shouldn't be.

I’ve been thinking about the implications of Tesla’s drive to create a million mile battery and the use of super durable stainless steel in the cybrtrck. I initially thought it could hurt sales because wouldn’t you want to have some sort of planned obsolescence in the products? People driving around for decades with million mile batteries and nearly infinitely lived exoskeletons in trucks are not good for being repeat customers. This sounds like a great thing for consumers but awful for Tesla as a business.

I don't buy that. It might be true if Tesla had 50% of the market, but the 1-2% that Tesla has in most places means they can sell for years, even with all the increased production. It doesn't bode well for the other car manufacturers though when people see Teslas lasting for a few decades (probably not with the same owner though).

John Oliver is also a huge dumbass
Due to circumstances I recently watched three John Oliver shows. I'd never seen him before and won't likely see him again, but those three shared enough characteristics that I'm confident of the style of show he runs. Any show with steady character will appeal to some, and not appeal to others.

One show was about... I forget the name, but the guy owns the largest privately held coal mining company and practices SLAPP. So the show was about that guy and SLAPP. I'm moderately familiar with the latter and it seemed fairly decent (within the parameters of the kind of show he does).

Another was about multi-level marketing companies and amounted to an infomercial about their perils. It was pretty spot on.

The third was about bitcoin. His heart was in the right place, but he's in a position with his staff to have done better research and documented serious, insurmountable issues with bitcoin (like its designed inefficiency -- one aspect of which is the escalating energy requirements) and repeating misleading/inaccurate statements that are "common knowledge" (about banking and transactional delays). To put it bluntly, I was disappointed.

The advantage of someone like John Oliver covering the Tesla/Elon Musk story is that it raises visibility. The downside is that the show is made for entertainment value and the predisposition of he or his staff will rule the day. This isn't journalism and any "investigation" is likely to be skin deep.

Would I like to have this story told to a wider audience? Sure -- but for that to happen there are costs. One is it being done as entertainment. Second, if its more entertaining to flip the story (make it about unstable Elon) well...

(and given the small sample of John Oliver that I've seen, a negative story about Elon would fit better with what he does rather than picking fights with mass media over biased and profiteering coverage)

Everyone should expect Tesla lower by the end of Friday. Holiday week = low volume in combination with an apparent renewed bear push.

The Cybertruck reveal was great timing for publicity and social conversation during family get togethers this week......but was terrible timing for the stock. Limited buying power. Doesnt matter how many orders Elon tweets about.

So sick of the shenanigans by now

Meh. Short term I'm happy with bigs ups or downs. Status quo is what's boring.

I’ve been thinking about the implications of Tesla’s drive to create a million mile battery and the use of super durable stainless steel in the cybrtrck. I initially thought it could hurt sales because wouldn’t you want to have some sort of planned obsolescence in the products? People driving around for decades with million mile batteries and nearly infinitely lived exoskeletons in trucks are not good for being repeat customers. This sounds like a great thing for consumers but awful for Tesla as a business.

But I think that it’s more evidence that Tesla’s grand strategy is going to give it competitive advantages that will be difficult to overcome.

Tesla can afford to be thinking about offering consumers vehicles with ridiculously long lives because it’s not simply a car business dependent on continued sales (and therefore needing a little planned obsolescence to push consumers along).

Tesla can make money in its energy business. Also Tesla supercharging means that Tesla can in the future have a revenue stream that allows it to benefit from a tiny per mile “tax” on every vehicle on the fleet— sort of like if GM and Exxon were a single company. GM sells the hardware but Exxon collects a toll on every mile driven. Of course the biggest reason why Tesla can afford to think about super durable, long lived cars is autonomy and what that means in terms of Tesla being able to create a per mile toll on the fleet. I think that these strategic implications are very hard to replicate by OEMs.
No, that's okay -- by the time those million miles are up, Elon will be (back) outtahere. :cool:

I'm not sure what to make of it, but Jim Cramer has been using about every freestyle moment on segues to commercial breaks to talk about his wife wanting a tesla.
He's just namedropping his wife to make you think he's not gay

(I'm trying to go for the moon re disagrees today)

So glad we are not allowed to discus the Cyber truck.

Gives us plenty of time to talk about which color model X Jim Cramer's wive is gonna pick.
I guess we can go back to discussing wood veneers created from the trees cut down for GF4.
He's just namedropping his wife to make you think he's not gay

(I'm trying to go for the moon re disagrees today)
It's 2019. He can have a man for a wife if he wants.

But I think that it’s more evidence that Tesla’s grand strategy is going to give it competitive advantages that will be difficult to overcome.

Tesla can afford to be thinking about offering consumers vehicles with ridiculously long lives because it’s not simply a car business dependent on continued sales (and therefore needing a little planned obsolescence to push consumers along).

Tesla can make money in its energy business. Also Tesla supercharging means that Tesla can in the future have a revenue stream that allows it to benefit from a tiny per mile “tax” on every vehicle on the fleet— sort of like if GM and Exxon were a single company. GM sells the hardware but Exxon collects a toll on every mile driven. Of course the biggest reason why Tesla can afford to think about super durable, long lived cars is autonomy and what that means in terms of Tesla being able to create a per mile toll on the fleet. I think that these strategic implications are very hard to replicate by OEMs.
Also:
  • Every Tesla sold will be replacing an ICE rather than a worn out Tesla. Quicker replacement of the ICE fleet. Goes to Tesla’s mission.
  • If the vehicles last 5x longer, that’s far less resources required to replace the current non-Tesla fleet and maintain the Tesla fleet. Also less going to scrap/landfill. Disarms the argument about more resources go into production of an EV compared to an ICE and also fills Tesla’s mission.
  • Will eventually create a great market for used EVs, hopefully bringing them to a level more affordable for those who never buy a new vehicle.
  • More reasons along these lines but, man, typing on a phone sucks!