Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

SO16

Feb 25, 2016
MI

Jim is actually a very nice guy. Met him a few times back when I was doing high powered sales and at conferences he'd stay for 1-2 hours being very gracious to shake hands and talk. He could have said his piece and taken off but he never did. Of all the speakers I've heard at high powered events he was the most welcoming and approachable. He'd answer any stock/business question you'd have. So, I am glad to see he's finally gotten on board.

Be prepared for any and all issues of his wife’s Model X to be blasted on CNBC through his blow horn.

Christine69420

Autopilot's Assistant
Supporting Member
Oct 19, 2018
Scandiwegian
Car of the Year 2020: Tesla Model 3

Recently TM3 was awarded the Peoples Favourite by Norwegian newssites Dagbladet and DinSide.

Today the TM3 won the hearts of the jury - 6 of 8 judges voted the Tesla Model 3 Car of the Year!

Googly translated source at DinSide.no:
Google Translate

Superb winner!

- Model 3 has taken Norway by storm, and with this model Tesla has shown that they can reach the large masses. The car is practical, reasonably priced and not only performs very well in range, but also on driving characteristics. Model 3 is the new peoples car - and a worthy winner of Car of the Year , says juror Espen Stensrud to Dinside.

graphilwar

Aug 25, 2019
Outer Space
I’ve been thinking about the implications of Tesla’s drive to create a million mile battery and the use of super durable stainless steel in the cybrtrck. I initially thought it could hurt sales because wouldn’t you want to have some sort of planned obsolescence in the products? People driving around for decades with million mile batteries and nearly infinitely lived exoskeletons in trucks are not good for being repeat customers. This sounds like a great thing for consumers but awful for Tesla as a business.

But I think that it’s more evidence that Tesla’s grand strategy is going to give it competitive advantages that will be difficult to overcome.

Tesla can afford to be thinking about offering consumers vehicles with ridiculously long lives because it’s not simply a car business dependent on continued sales (and therefore needing a little planned obsolescence to push consumers along).

Tesla can make money in its energy business. Also Tesla supercharging means that Tesla can in the future have a revenue stream that allows it to benefit from a tiny per mile “tax” on every vehicle on the fleet— sort of like if GM and Exxon were a single company. GM sells the hardware but Exxon collects a toll on every mile driven. Of course the biggest reason why Tesla can afford to think about super durable, long lived cars is autonomy and what that means in terms of Tesla being able to create a per mile toll on the fleet. I think that these strategic implications are very hard to replicate by OEMs.

StarFoxisDown!

Jan 23, 2019
Seattle
are we really going to test 315?

Everyone should expect Tesla lower by the end of Friday. Holiday week = low volume in combination with an apparent renewed bear push.

The Cybertruck reveal was great timing for publicity and social conversation during family get togethers this week......but was terrible timing for the stock. Limited buying power. Doesnt matter how many orders Elon tweets about.

So sick of the shenanigans by now

Compton

Dec 13, 2017
Finland
Everyone should expect Tesla lower by the end of Friday. Holiday week = low volume in combination with an apparent renewed bear push.

The Cybertruck reveal was great timing for publicity and social conversation during family get togethers this week......but was terrible timing for the stock. Limited buying power. Doesnt matter how many orders Elon tweets about.

For long term investors it would be healthy to stop looking at the ticker every couple of minutes. The only reason I know the stock price is because someone mentions it here. Short term fluctuations are meaningless if you are not a day trader and most of here shouldn't be.

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
I’ve been thinking about the implications of Tesla’s drive to create a million mile battery and the use of super durable stainless steel in the cybrtrck. I initially thought it could hurt sales because wouldn’t you want to have some sort of planned obsolescence in the products? People driving around for decades with million mile batteries and nearly infinitely lived exoskeletons in trucks are not good for being repeat customers. This sounds like a great thing for consumers but awful for Tesla as a business.

I don't buy that. It might be true if Tesla had 50% of the market, but the 1-2% that Tesla has in most places means they can sell for years, even with all the increased production. It doesn't bode well for the other car manufacturers though when people see Teslas lasting for a few decades (probably not with the same owner though).

humbaba

sleeping until $7000
Aug 25, 2018
planet earth
John Oliver is also a huge dumbass
Due to circumstances I recently watched three John Oliver shows. I'd never seen him before and won't likely see him again, but those three shared enough characteristics that I'm confident of the style of show he runs. Any show with steady character will appeal to some, and not appeal to others.

One show was about... I forget the name, but the guy owns the largest privately held coal mining company and practices SLAPP. So the show was about that guy and SLAPP. I'm moderately familiar with the latter and it seemed fairly decent (within the parameters of the kind of show he does).

Another was about multi-level marketing companies and amounted to an infomercial about their perils. It was pretty spot on.

The third was about bitcoin. His heart was in the right place, but he's in a position with his staff to have done better research and documented serious, insurmountable issues with bitcoin (like its designed inefficiency -- one aspect of which is the escalating energy requirements) and repeating misleading/inaccurate statements that are "common knowledge" (about banking and transactional delays). To put it bluntly, I was disappointed.

The advantage of someone like John Oliver covering the Tesla/Elon Musk story is that it raises visibility. The downside is that the show is made for entertainment value and the predisposition of he or his staff will rule the day. This isn't journalism and any "investigation" is likely to be skin deep.

Would I like to have this story told to a wider audience? Sure -- but for that to happen there are costs. One is it being done as entertainment. Second, if its more entertaining to flip the story (make it about unstable Elon) well...

(and given the small sample of John Oliver that I've seen, a negative story about Elon would fit better with what he does rather than picking fights with mass media over biased and profiteering coverage)

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland

Meh. Short term I'm happy with bigs ups or downs. Status quo is what's boring.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC