Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the cybertruck, did we get a production estimate? Where will it be built? Apparently the angles in the truck design are due to requirements of the material and stamping press, so have they theoretically stamped out a cybertruck or is it a one off. While two years away is far, in terms of capital expense, it is not that far away and discussion of the logistics and volume would be germane to the current market valuation...

I have calculated Q4 deliveries assuming international at +47% and with 3 scenarios for the US: Flat. -10%, -20%. This results in Q4 deliveries of 120k, 115k and 110k, respectively.
Is there a reason why US can't drop below 20% ? Because now it is just a question of allocation. Just depends on what Tesla has decided to allocate to Europe vs US.

Basic point is - assuming everything produced is being delivered, what determines deliveries in Q4 is the production. We don't know how much they are producing. We can estimate they shipped ~50k till now. That's about it.

About the cybertruck, did we get a production estimate? Where will it be built? Apparently the angles in the truck design are due to requirements of the material and stamping press, so have they theoretically stamped out a cybertruck or is it a one off.

No. No. and No. There is no stamping with the Cybertruck. It will be flat sheets of stainless steel that are laser cut, scored, and folded. (And then probably welded together.)

The one they were showing was a one-off built starting a few weeks ago.

Perhaps this belongs in the Financial Projections thread but I am posting here because I think it's beneficial for Investors to consider in regards to TSLA stock movement in early January when delivery data is released.

International shipments continue to be jaw-dropping.
View attachment 481603

There are a lot of caveats here but if loading days are a good indicator of vehicle quantity and ships leaving in the first 2 months of the Qtr get substantially delivered in that quarter, then we can expect to see international shipments increase by a whopping 47% over Q3. The significant increase in Q4 over Q3 came from the first month of the Qtr (22.2 days vs 10.3 days).

Q4 Delivery Projections with various US scenarios:
I have calculated Q4 deliveries assuming international at +47% and with 3 scenarios for the US: Flat. -10%, -20%. This results in Q4 deliveries of 120k, 115k and 110k, respectively.

View attachment 481609

View attachment 481610

View attachment 481611

With so much production directed to international, I feel certain US deliveries will drop but I am feeling very good at this moment that the Q3 surprise will pale in comparison to Q4 especially since I have not factored in anything for GF3 Shanghai deliveries.
Not advice

EDIT: Many thanks to Franco who's developed a nice excel spreadsheet tracking ships out of Pier 80 Franco Mossotto (@FMossotto) | Twitter

After a week or so we'll also have November delivery numbers for all over Europe, which will let us do QoQ comparisons for all over Europe and not just NO/NL/ES. I mean, we have October numbers, but they're pretty worthless, as there was no inventory.

We really won't get a full picture though, as so much demand is getting shoved off into Q1 and it'll mainly be reflective of how much they're diverting to NL.

you read my post right?
conventional design, conventional manufacturing
Yes. Conventional design, conventional manufacturing = higher cost, ho-hum vehicle, not likely to make many converts.

EDIT: For the SP, a conventional design would have just brought about different reasons for the hedge funds to push down, probably they could have gotten a larger push down since there would be few reservations (comparatively). If there was no reveal there would still be a push down just because it's Thanksgiving week.

Last edited:
The CNCDA 3rd quarter report is out for California:

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Covering-3Q-19.pdf

Some highlights: The EV share of vehicles sold now stand at 5.5%, The Model 3 is the 3rd best selling vehicle, just missing second cause the Camry sold about 300 more, and Tesla's overall YTD share of the California market is 4.1% versus 1.1% nationally. Thats 58,627 of 1,427,578 vehicles sold.

1 in every 24.35 vehicles sold is a Tesla
1 in every 29.44 vehicles sold is a Model 3

Kind of surprising that hybrids have bumped up given their longer term downward trend. Could be the Corolla and Ionic hybrids are responsible.

View attachment 481617 View attachment 481620

The Model 3 captured 45% of its class segment -- I have to imagine it is simply eviscerating 3 Series / C-Class sales.

Is there a reason why US can't drop below 20% ? Because now it is just a question of allocation. Just depends on what Tesla has decided to allocate to Europe vs US.

Basic point is - assuming everything produced is being delivered, what determines deliveries in Q4 is the production. We don't know how much they are producing. We can estimate they shipped ~50k till now. That's about it.

Indeed -- though I would be surprised given the modest tax cliff in the US which should cause Tesla to also prioritize US sales, it is possible that Tesla is banking US deliveries for Q1'20 which could cause a greater falloff.

With that said, it appears that the number of shipments to China in Q4 has increased over Q3 despite the likelihood of significant GF3-produced deliveries, which gives me comfort that GF3 deliveries won't simply help maintain the international prediction in this model, but perhaps make it a real blockbuster.

This could turn hilarious ;) Musk could make this into a big livestreamed webcast event as a big faceoff, call out Ford for chickening out, put a professional driver in a truck matching Ford's criteria and Tyson's suggestions about fully loading each - citing both Ford's criteria and Tyson's suggestions, and using the latter as a seal of approval on the physics of the arrangement - and then utterly trounce it.

On the same tires, Cybertruck would still easily win in those circumstances, due to greater weight (particularly since it carries more - as if Ford could raise that as an objection without further embarassment! ;) ) and more precise / faster responding slip and power control (and once the Ford is slipping on level ground, it should be easy to pull up a moderate slope, as static friction offers more resistance than dynamic/kinetic). They should also make the Ford the most tricked-out F-150 Platinum with all the bells and whistles checked, just to make sure that what they're humiliating is Ford's best and most expensive ;) And don't just drag it up a slope... haul it around, wheels spinning futilely, for several minutes on end. ;)

It would be riotous and get tons of coverage. And the depreciation for buying a Ford (even a tricked out one), dragging it once, and then selling it would be a nothing cost to Tesla.

So I guess that eliminates Ford from the rumored Tesla / US Pickup drivetrain collaboration ;)

The CNCDA 3rd quarter report is out for California:

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Covering-3Q-19.pdf

Some highlights: The EV share of vehicles sold now stand at 5.5%, The Model 3 is the 3rd best selling vehicle, just missing second cause the Camry sold about 300 more, and Tesla's overall YTD share of the California market is 4.1% versus 1.1% nationally. Thats 58,627 of 1,427,578 vehicles sold.

1 in every 24.35 vehicles sold is a Tesla
1 in every 29.44 vehicles sold is a Model 3

Kind of surprising that hybrids have bumped up given their longer term downward trend. Could be the Corolla and Ionic hybrids are responsible.

View attachment 481617 View attachment 481620

Also worth noting that Model 3 is -- by far -- the largest seller YTD by revenue in California (the 5th largest economy in the world).

Back of the envelope $50K per Model 3, $33K (conservative) per Camry puts Model 3 ~50% higher than the Camry. Ford sold 37872 F-Series trucks so F-Series is probably in 2nd place with Model 3 likely generating ~40% more revenue assuming ~$45K per truck.

The Model 3 captured 45% of its class segment -- I have to imagine it is simply eviscerating 3 Series / C-Class sales.

Indeed -- though I would be surprised given the modest tax cliff in the US which should cause Tesla to also prioritize US sales, it is possible that Tesla is banking US deliveries for Q1'20 which could cause a greater falloff.

With that said, it appears that the number of shipments to China in Q4 has increased over Q3 despite the likelihood of significant GF3-produced deliveries, which gives me comfort that GF3 deliveries won't simply help maintain the international prediction in this model, but perhaps make it a real blockbuster.

Eviscerate seems appropriate...

3series.jpg

cclass.jpg

There's evidence on the FB group that Model 3 delivery slowly trickles out through the quarter in the US while ships are being loaded.

What's going on with TSLA last minutes ? Any news on the press ?

In recent weeks whenever there has been heavy selling of TSLA during a particular minute with no fresh news, it has almost always involved about 73,000 shares. This may imply that a particular manipulator can afford to briefly short that many shares before covering at leisure later in the day. The intent would be to trigger the loss limits of weak longs. In the past this worked well, but more recently the effect has diminished. Just now dip buyers appear to be taking advantage.

I wanted to circle back on some disagrees, especially some aggressive arguing by @StealthP3D that non-financial "events", specifically:
1. GF4
2. Cybertruck
Could do the SP a whole lot of good. I think we can say that those assumptions turned out to be false on both counts (and highlighted by the lack of GF3 deliveries start, which could provide a boost).

I'm bullish long term like most people here, but would suggest that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot by overhyping non-financial events.
At least until TSLA is included into S&P 500 and the craziness goes down.

20191126_114510.jpg

Screenshot_20191126-114316_Chrome.jpg