Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is from Bloomberg, then so close to the end of the quarter this is a clear attempt to both manipulate the TSLA share price and to hurt Tesla demand in a critical phase of the sales period. If they knew or should have known that these were false claims then these are potential actionable crimes committed by Bloomberg journalists: securities fraud and also tortious interference with Tesla's business.

I wonder what happens to Elon's talk with Michael Bloomberg that is suppose to happen according to this year's shareholder meeting?

Perhaps some here would also like to tweet Tom and encourage him to look into this, and, possibly try to clean up the mess this story could create before it gets much further. I've found him to be honest, fair, thorough, and appreciative of Tesla.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.45.17 AM.png

Login on Twitter

@tsrandall

I wonder what happens to Elon's talk with Michael Bloomberg that is suppose to happen according to this year's shareholder meeting?

Elon: Mike, this is flagrant. Let's get this straightened out with an apology, and clean up whatever's going on at Bloomberg that leads to these kinds of stories, repeatedly. You do want people to take you seriously when you're out campaigning as the most dedicated to responding to climate change, right?

Elon: Mike, this is flagrant. Let's get this straightened out with an apology, and clean up whatever's going on at Bloomberg that leads to these kinds of stories, repeatedly. You do want people to take you seriously when you're out campaigning as the most dedicated to responding to climate change, right?

Let's step back a sec and go the other way for conspiracy theory.

What if, Elon and bloomberg has a good relationship and he uses their publishing house as a eay to gauge market and customer rraction to upcoming strategies?

Let's step back a sec and go the other way for conspiracy theory.

What if, Elon and bloomberg has a good relationship and he uses their publishing house as a eay to gauge market and customer rraction to upcoming strategies?

Tesla has already been through multiple uproars in China re steep, abrupt, pricing discounts from those who’d bought cars earlier. No research needed, it does considerable brand/goodwill/demand damage.

Tesla's EU CO2 ZEV pool membership has just roughly quadrupled in value:

The reason is that PSA's European revenues are about three times that of FCA:

-1x-1.png

So to counter-act the billions of Euros per year CO2 penalties that PSA-FCA is facing, Tesla can put 3x-4x as many cars into the pool without exhausting their CO2 penalty reduction utility.

Here are the more detailed estimates by @Prunesquallor:

These are the latest numbers I could find:
CO2 emissions from new passenger cars in the European Union: Car manufacturers’ performance in 2018 | International Council on Clean Transportation
View attachment 471586
These are interesting for several reasons:
1) They indicate the pooling information (e.g., FCA-Tesla!).
2) The market share indicates that combining PSA and FCA would nearly quadruple the size of the pool!
3) FCA and PSA both have gotten considerably WORSE in CO2 emissions from 2017-2018 (+5 and +7 g/km)
4) PSA-Opel is in somewhat better shape than FCA: 20% CO2 reduction required vs 24%.

If I have time in the next several days, I try to dust off my ZEV credit/super-credit model and see what an FCA/PSA/Tesla pool might look like as far as value of ZEVs to penalty reduction.

Maybe this is one of the hidden pieces of information, known to big institutional investors, that supports this week's very bullish TSLA price action?

Last edited:
Tesla's EU CO2 ZEV pool membership has just roughly quadrupled in value:

The reason is that PSA's European revenues are about three times that of FCA:

-1x-1.png

So to counter-act the billions of Euros per year CO2 penalties that PSA-FCA is facing, Tesla can put 3x-4x as many cars into the pool without exhausting their CO2 penalty reduction utility.

Here are the more detailed estimates by @Prunesquallor:

Maybe this is one of the hidden pieces of information that supports this week's very bullish TSLA price action?

thanks for posting this.

could be pretty significant.

I might be missing something on this, but, isn’t it also quite possible that with these rules about to come into effect Peugeot already has a plan in place?

good to see, but, let’s keep things straight. Tom had nothing to do with the Bloomberg China story as far as we know. It was Tom’s track record of journalistic quality and integrity that prompted me to suggest our asking for his becoming involved to help clean things up. Let’s not do an “Unsworth” and throw shade at someone whose done no damage and may help. We don’t have a surplus of people in the media being fair, much less helpful, to Tesla : )

good to see, but, let’s keep things straight. Tom had nothing to do with the Bloomberg China story as far as we know. It was Tom’s track record of journalistic quality and integrity that prompted me to suggest our asking for his becoming involved to help. Let’s not do an “Unsworth” and throw shade at someone whose done no damage and may help : )

Good point!

• Helpful
Reactions: Thumper and Lessmog
I might be missing something on this, but, isn’t it also quite possible that with these rules about to come into effect Peugeot already has a plan in place?

Both FCA and Peugeot have EV "plans" - but the time horizon of the introduction of competitive EVs is 2021 at the earliest. Until then the CO2 penalties are real and cost billions per quarter for PSA-FCA, which penalty Tesla can reduce here and now. I'd wait for @Prunesquallor to make a precise calculation, but I think the combined PSA-FCA ZEV pool now has a capacity of up to over a hundred thousand Teslas per quarter? The per sold car gains for Tesla should be similar.

ICE OEMs are good at scaling up, but they are really bad at innovating and moving quickly, especially in an industry they know very little about (high-tech), so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for FCA or PSA to sell ~400k EVs per year anytime soon.

Last edited:
good to see, but, let’s keep things straight. Tom had nothing to do with the Bloomberg China story as far as we know. It was Tom’s track record of journalistic quality and integrity that prompted me to suggest our asking for his becoming involved to help clean things up. Let’s not do an “Unsworth” and throw shade at someone whose done no damage and may help. We don’t have a surplus of people in the media being fair, much less helpful, to Tesla : )

FYI Tom mentioned that he is taking a break from Twitter for the holidays so he may not see your tweet

Twitter

Both FCA and Peugeot have EV "plans" - but the time horizon is 2021 at the earliest. Until then the CO2 penalties are real and cost billions per quarter for PSA-FCA, which penalty Tesla can reduce here and now. I'd wait for @Prunesquallor to make a precise calculation, but I think the combined PSA-FCA ZEV pool now has a capacity of up to over a hundred thousand Teslas per quarter? The per sold car gains for Tesla should be similar.

ICE OEMs are good at scaling up, but they are really bad at innovating and moving quickly, especially in an industry they know very little about (high-tech), so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for FCA or PSA to sell ~400k EVs per year anytime soon.

lols, by plans, I did not mean actually selling enough EVs themselves to avoid penalties.

My understanding is that FCA was the only automaker who chose to enter such an agreement with Tesla. Any and all could have. Peugeot did not need to merge with FCA to be able to do this.

Not saying your scenario is not a possibility, it’s just not near a given to my view.

lols, by plans, I did not mean actually selling enough EVs themselves to avoid penalties.

My understanding is that FCA was the only automaker who chose to enter such an agreement with Tesla. Any and all could have. Peugeot did not need to merge with FCA to be able to do this.

Not saying your scenario is not a possibility, it’s just not near a given to my view.

Tesla could only pool up with a single pool if I understand the rules correctly, and FCA very likely insisted on an exclusive pool: they didn't want other carmakers to reduce the value of the pool to FCA.

Via the merger the pool is now covering a much larger carmaker. We don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the Tesla pool was one of the benefits FCA brought to the table in the PSA merger negotiations.

I actually think this Bloomberg story will be positive for TSLA today. Most investors will key in on the part about costs dropping 20%, and Tesla didn't deny that.

Tesla China denied the story immediately and broadly with "this is the first time we heard about it".

Tesla doesn't need to individually deny every single false claim in a bogus story.

Tesla could only pool up with a single pool if I understand the rules correctly, and FCA very likely insisted on an exclusive pool: they didn't want other carmakers to reduce the value of the pool to FCA.

Via the merger the pool is now covering a much larger carmaker. We don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the Tesla pool was one of the benefits FCA brought to the table in the PSA merger negotiations.

that’s possible

the fact that possibly so much money is involved (or possibly not) is precisely why I have a little concern that this might quickly be interpreted as a “given” on our board before we have facts in place of a plausible scenario.

Reactions: davepsilon