Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This.1.jpg

And this sort of stuff is going to hurt the reputation of all EVs when it happens. :Þ
Nah, it will hurt the reputation of all non-Tesla EV's. People will think of Teslas as the only EV's which don't have batteries that die after a few years. This is already the perception that Nissan Leaf has and it ruins resale value of those cars.

I am wondering what is the take on free AP for China, by the good bulls over here at TMC?

Whichever way you look at it, this is a $5k discount on the car. The price of the car is effectively reduced by $5k. Why would Tesla do that when they are just starting their M3 rollout? Makes me wonder about the demand..

"I am wondering what is the take on free PUP for the US, by the good bulls over here on TMC.

Whichever way you look at it, this is a $5k discount on the car. The price of the car is effectively reduced by $5k. Why would Tesla do that when they are just starting their M3 rollout? Makes me wonder about the demand.."

(Hint: a mandatory option isn't a "discount". Pricing in China effectively already includes EAP. They have to pay $74K for an otherwise barebones LR AWD, which is $49,9k in the US (54,9k with EAP))

Last edited:
I am wondering what is the take on Tesla's decision to make AP free for China, by the bulls over here at TMC?

Whichever way you look at it, this is a $5k discount on the car. The price of the car is effectively reduced by $5k. Why would Tesla do that when they are just starting their M3 rollout? Makes me wonder about the demand..

I have no take. Don’t care. Not living in China. Tesla is universally as fair as possible when pricing their vehicles around the world.

You can wonder all you want. The rest of us know there isn’t a demand issue. Cause like we haven’t been hearing that and the plateau argument since 2012. And yet Tesla sales contine to climb quarter after quarter, year after year. I don’t care if Tesla sells electric tricycles, just as long as they keep advancing the mission.

Do try and be more creative, would you?

Thank you. I didn't know that. So EAP is included in the jacked up price and they don't have the option of removing it - atleast for now. Nice.

Got fooled by some Twitter FUDsters. If they can fool me, the average Joe blow has no chance against their onslaught.

:rolleyes:

Please. You’ve been around long enough to know all about the FUD machine. Maybe next time a little effort on your part to find the truth. Or would that take away from your joy of coming here to try and drop a short bomb?

I have no take. Don’t care. Not living in China. Tesla is universally as fair as possible when pricing their vehicles around the world.

You can wonder all you want. The rest of us know there isn’t a demand issue. Cause like we haven’t been hearing that and the plateau argument since 2012. And yet Tesla sales contine to climb quarter after quarter, year after year. I don’t care if Tesla sells electric tricycles, just as long as they keep advancing the mission.

Do try and be more creative, would you?

Relax. Karen understood my confusion and addressed it.

This article from Fred claims it’s a discount: Tesla makes Autopilot standard on Model 3 in China, again reducing the price in the country

Last edited:
Porsche ... many historical reasons to believe they are highly competent in automotive engineering.
I rate it “Funny” solely because of the last sentence.
First, we are talking about battery here, that have nothing to do with what they have done in 50+years.
Second, even if we are not talking about battery, this claim is questionable by it self. If you say they are good at financial engineering, I would agree.:p

Last edited:
You know, I'm tired of dancing around the "buts" and "maybes" and "what ifs". Let's just call it as it is: Porsche and Audi are willingly frying their cells, because most people won't fast charge that often and they can afford to eat the warranty costs on those who do.

There is no other explanation that meets Occam's Razor. There is no magic cell that somehow only they have that nobody else has heard of, that manages to be simultaneously energy dense and power dense. Their cooling design is primitive. They're not "locking out" half of the pack to make the C-rate appear faster than it is.

Let's call a spade a spade: they're frying their cells.

Later, we will hear Porsche and Audi say:
"Yes we told you so, electrical cars are a bad idea. May we interest you in the latest combustion technology?" :)

Y’all talking about E-Tron and Taycan like they are actually coming out within the next 3 years. VW time is worse than Elon time and that’s really really saying something

Well the e-tron is coming out quite soon, however it's becoming more and more obvious that they're still in the process of catching up with the Model X, and there's currently simply no competition for the Model 3 from any manufacturer, period.

As for VW, I completely agreed. I was basically booed from the stage on a german forum for pointing out that VW had promised the first MEB-based EVs for beginning of 2018, then end of 2018, then beginning of 2019, and now end of 2019. They are basically 2 years late judging by their own announced timeline. The VW fanboys said they don't trust "some unknown internet news page" so I linked the relevant press releases and statements of VW CEO Diess who not only claimed early 2018 as release date for the first I.D. car, but he also promised that it will be "better and cheaper than Tesla".

The VW fans on the forum responded to these undenyable statements by saying that these were just "guidance dates and no hard promises".
If anyone complains about Tesla-fanboys, they haven't met Volkswagen fanboys yet.

The interesting thing is that after some mild improvements in 2016 and 2017, VW stock has stagnated in 2018 and it does not look like there's any long term upward trend. They still sell a LOT of cars but at what margin? I fear the ice may be thinner for them than they let on. I would not be surprised if 2020 is the year when they ask the german state or the ECB for another bailout, like they did in July 2016.

this is battery engineering

Wow, well spotted, good sir!

Also while I doubt they have even a 10% advantage in charge rate, that 10% gets eaten up in their efficiency rating which also shows how incompetent their engineering is. So they charge 10% faster but they drain it 10% faster leading to no real world improvement.

You are right to doubt: the e-Tron averages 140kW 0..80% in 29 minutes, whereas an S100D hardly manages to average 70kW 0..80% in 50 minutes, therefore the Audi advantage in recharge speed is more like 100%.

The differing efficiency of the vehicles lies mainly in their respective aerodynamics, which is a design/marketing choice rather than a reflection of Audi's engineering competence.

However, I am fairly sure the Audi e-Tron Quattro will soon prove itself capable of completing a 2,000 km road-trip faster than a Tesla X100D.

Well the e-tron is coming out quite soon, however it's becoming more and more obvious that they're still in the process of catching up with the Model X, and there's currently simply no competition for the Model 3 from any manufacturer, period.

Lol. Please don't say "Model X" in the same vein as E-Tron. Yes, E-Tron is CUV format (vertically oriented), and its exterior dimensions are relatively large, but interior dimensions aren't even as big as a Model S. A lot of that length is its oversized hood - and its width is almost the same as a Model 3.

Jaguar loves to compare the I-Pace to the Model X, and Audi the same with the E-Tron, because it's Tesla's most expensive vehicle, and the least efficient, and slower-performing than the Model S - so it makes their bad stats look better. Even though they're not even close to the same interior size class. We don't need to repeat their false framing.

Last edited:
You are right to doubt: the e-Tron averages 140kW 0..80% in 29 minutes, whereas an S100D hardly manages to average 70kW 0..80%

It appears that the EPA combined range on the E-Tron is going to come in at around 200 miles. 80% of an E-Tron's combined range is 160 combined miles. Model S's EPA combined range is 335 miles. 160 combined miles is 48% of a Model S 100D's range. A Model S 100D can average ~115kW up to 100% of an E-Tron's range. The E-Tron also guzzles power like there's no tomorrow. S is hardly as efficient as a Model 3, but it sips power compared to the E-Tron. E-Tron even manages to make I-Pace look efficient.

It's truly staggering how inefficient Audi managed to make the E-Tron. No vehicle whose class isn't of the format "Class (blank) Truck" should have an energy consumption that high.

Last edited: