Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second-fakest TSLAQ conspiracy theory ever (none can ever beat Whompy Wheels ;) ). Almost every single mass-market car out there has sudden unintended acceleration accusations against it, because people accidentally hit the pedal to hard when parking and then blame it on the car. Seriously, right now go try it - google "unintended acceleration <model name>".

Why does NHTSA do this, though? Why publicly announce investigations into things you haven't investigated yet? Are they trying to scare people away and hurt the stock?

My guess is that, as with any regulator, they don't get a prize if things go well, but will get punished if something goes wrong.
They know that many people cannot wait to put tesla on the spot, we even have senators calling for nhtsa to ban autopilot. So by looking into every crash and every complaint they cover their behinds might something happen.
They don't do the same with other car companies because nobody cares what other car companies do or don't, unless it's something really bad and then some.
The result is that tesla is kept at a much higher standard. Unfair and annoying on the short term, but in a way also a guarantee that things are indeed done properly.

Any new guesses as to ER date ?
Feb 4 ?
I took my stab at that and struck out. Expect to here soon from tsla. I wish these dates were set in stone at the previous report. A large company should be able to meet a report deadline. Especially with option expiration dates and not knowing which will expire before or after the report. Investing, by its nature, has uncertainty built into it but that uncertainty should be based on performance of company and its products, not on when report dates will be announced

So 13k sales in China in Q4, after 7.9k in Q3, +64% QoQ growth and should bode well for GF3 demand.
Especially with the public expecting price cuts with the in the next qtr with subsidies, tax breaks decreased costs of local parts and decreased cost of transport. I would have thought and was worried that the consumer might be holding off on purchase to get MIC model3

Especially with the public expecting price cuts with the in the next qtr with subsidies, tax breaks decreased costs of local parts and decreased cost of transport. I would have thought and was worried that the consumer might be holding off on purchase to get MIC model3

Yes, Osborning of non-MIC models in Q4 was a potential headwind mentioned here, but it didn't materialize. :D

There seems to be some concern about the lack of an announcement on the ER date.
No need to worry.
Last year, the ER date was announced on Jan 18 and the ER was released on Jan 30 (see below).
As Tesla grows, the year end accounting close gets more complicated but I still expect them to keep the timing similar to last year.
I expect the ER date to be announced today or Monday and likely released on Jan 29 or 30.

upload_2020-1-17_9-15-24.png

Last edited:
Second-fakest TSLAQ conspiracy theory ever (none can ever beat Whompy Wheels ;) ). Almost every single mass-market car out there has sudden unintended acceleration accusations against it, because people accidentally hit the pedal to hard when parking and then blame it on the car. Seriously, right now go try it - google "unintended acceleration <model name>".

Why does NHTSA do this, though? Why publicly announce investigations into things you haven't investigated yet? Are they trying to scare people away and hurt the stock?
If the foam strip in your tire comes unglued it will ball up and you will get a tire that can not be balanced. It happened to me. I don’t know if other cars have these tires as OEM, but it happens. Mine was replaced for free by Tesla, but not before I regretfully spent $80 getting my tires rotated and balanced at a local shop. It took me a month to get it sorted.

You are aware that this link leads to a paywall? I doubt many people here subscribe to the FT. Can you provide a small recap of his arguments, without violating copyright. Thank you.

If you google exactly the title of the FT article "Tesla’s soaring share price defies the bears" you will get a link which works.

Do not read the comments though. Mostly depressing stuff of people that do not understand 'disruption'.

Sudden decelerations caused by regenerative breaking to follow.

If the foam strip in your tire comes unglued it will ball up and you will get a tire that can not be balanced. It happened to me. I don’t know if other cars have these tires as OEM, but it happens. Mine was replaced for free by Tesla, but not before I regretfully spent $80 getting my tires rotated and balanced at a local shop. It took me a month to get it sorted.
A fair amount of higher-end cars do have foam strips, but the "whompy wheels" thing has nothing to do with wheel/tire balance.

It's one person who's been going around trying to claim that Tesla suspension is flawed and wheels are falling off of Teslas left and right, and has been fraudulently submitting NHTSA complaints.

Tesla’s soaring share price defies the bears

Pierre Ferragu: Tesla could now be worth up to $2000 per share
This is the most fair and balanced article about Tesla from the FT I have seen. Yet another sign that sentiment has changed dramatically recently. If Q4 ER results and guidance are strongly positive, it will be released into the most receptive market TSLA has ever experienced. The recent SP runup may just be the appetizer.

Would’ve said the same thing in June. Not luck. Have you ever wondered why so many wizened people on this forum are so successful in investing while investing in only a very small handful of companies? Is that luck?
It's basically belief in a company. If you believe and are correct, then you win big. If you believe and are incorrect, then it's cat food. If there's a black swan event, it isn't going to matter.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Krugerrand