Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tenor.gif

Me watching deferred tax asset impact updates.

<3 the bean counters, much respect

I agree with this except I think US tax rate should be 21% so Tesla and its auditors need to see greater than 50% chance of $1805m/21% = $8600m cumulative US net income to be able to reverse the full $1,805m valuation adjustment into profit. In reality the the adjustment should have increased during 2019 so there could be ~$2,000m of one off profit to register here

You may be correct but I took 21% for Federal plus 8% for California state taxes. Not sure what the loss carryforwards rules are for CA.
Whether the right rate is 21% or 29%, either way there appears to be enough pre-tax income over the next 2-3 years to realize the benefit.

I agree with you that the auditors may want to take a more cautious stance....I'm sure there is much dialogue going on at this moment with PwC on this topic since so much judgment is involved.
However, to not recognize this benefit, the conclusion would have to be that it is "more likely than not" that Tesla will have losses in 2020 and 2021. That's a difficult stance to take.

Last edited:
Model 3 owners may be a bit more inclined to do so.
The Tesloop, and Carmiq owner claimed in an Autoline interview that the cars are indestructible in the inside as well. He has cars with several hundred thousand miles used in rideshare and rental.
Of course, Musk's goal is to have indestructible cars that can work like that, unlike legacy makers that prefer disposable cars.

I feel that a Tesla is very expensive when parked compared to regular cars, but it is much cheaper to run, so it should run all the time.
(That represents the minority view in our family.
Moreover, the family dog has also mixed feelings about the Tesla. She was free to roam in the old car, and not she is restricted to a blanket.)

Reactions: SO16
More rumors. Will Fred leak?

View attachment 501985

Of course just a rumor but I'm wondering if true, when would MY reservation holders be contacted about delivery.
Assume the first cars off the line go to showrooms, employees and then reservation holders.
Is it fair to say that if reservation holders have not been contacted, it means we are months away from deliveries?
Could any Model 3 original reservation holders shed light on this? Once the first MY reservation holder is contacted, what is the delivery timeline? 2 weeks...1 month?

I do understand the potential of TE though, but based on the numbers I've seen it looks like a slightly smaller opportunity than Automotive.

You believe Tesla Energy is a slightly smaller opportunity than automotive?

I see only three possible conclusions we can draw from that. Either:

1) you think you have better "numbers" or market data than Musk himself, or;
2) you think you are more visionary than Musk himself (can more accurately draw valid conclusions from the data), or;
3) or you think Musk a lying hypester/fraudster.

Did I miss anything?

While no visionary is immune from making mistakes, I do think it demonstrates an incredible amount of hubris to claim #1 or #2. And lying hypesters/fraudsters are not generally known for announcing fantastical sounding goals, like landing rockets on drone ships bobbing in the ocean and deploying the largest satellite constellation in human history, and then doing it.

More rumors. Will Fred leak?

View attachment 501985

Wow, there's actually quite a bit of information that leaked there, and we can cross-check it with the other Model Y leaks:

Moez on Twitter

Moez: "Just talked to Tesla employee in Fremont. He confirmed it he first deliveries are happening in 2 weeks."

Q: "Are you sure? If true, that’d be great."

Moez: "Yes he said that there was internal launch event last week and they are working extra hard to make it happen in 2 weeks"

Q: "Initial batch delivered to employees just like Model 3s?"

Moez: "I didn’t ask that specifically. He said everyone is really pumped after the “launch” event."​

Remember that earlier leak and deleted tweets by EVBite? Those tweets talked about a Model Y meeting where Tesla employees weren't allowed to bring phones to. That might have been the "launch event".

What's in two weeks? The Q4 earnings report ...

Neither EVBite nor Moez gave me the impression of rumor machines: they are both Californians who have friends at Tesla.

I really think this is legit, now we've heard about the imminent launch of the Model Y from multiple sources.

The timing is right as well: Q1 is the seasonally weakest quarter, so it's the one that can best tolerate distraction and resource reallocation at Fremont, and which would benefit most from the first Model Y deliveries.

They'd obviously keep it a deep secret in Q3 and Q4 and sandbag the Model Y schedule, to not Osbourne sales.

Last edited:
This is of course just anecdotal but when I
I'm automatically highly skeptical of any energy-related forecast that shows only a shallow change over multi-decadal timecales. It reminds me of the terrible IEA wind and solar forecasts:

renewable-energy-forecasts-IEA.png

IEA-solar-capacity-forecasts-off.png

The world is expected to need nearly $50T in new energy investment by 2035. The notion that storage isn't going to be a major part of this is frankly nonsense.

The biggest problem is that most forecasters have repeatedly failed to understand how fast storage will drop in price - to the point that they even get it wrong in realtime. The notion that Tesla could do the Hornsdale battery for $387/kWh installed was laughed at by many supposed experts. Yet they did so, and without blowing their margins. Yet this is still very early in terms of large-scale storage products for Tesla. Tesla is at ~$100/kWh at the cell level, and 5 years from now I wouldn't be surprised to see them pushing ~$50/kWh cell cost (assuming mining tech cooperates in terms of supply pricing). Certainly well under $100/kWh at the very least. And meanwhile, manufacturing improvements will continue to push the total hardware cost down closer to the cell cost . This will radically alter the economic picture for mass storage projects.

Indeed, even the demand for mass storage is thrown off by the continual failure to predict how quickly wind and solar production would grow. They're now getting to the point where the cost of building new wind and solar projects is lower than the cost of just keeping existing coal plants running.

coal-costs-vs-solar.png

Storage, even with major price drops, won't entirely eliminate the need for backup power. But there's no shortage of plants that will be driven out of the baseload market that can transition to a peaking / load-following / backup role... so long as they're given sufficient time to ramp. And in terms of rapid-response peaking, nothing competes with battery storage - even today.

Additionally, once you start getting grid-scale storage costs low enough, you're no longer just looking at just a market for rapid-response peaking (and voltage/frequency maintenance on remote lines); you're now starting to make overnight battery storage practical in increasingly large markets.

Also wanted to add an anecdote on Tesla Energy...just the other day I logged into Facebook for the first time in weeks. What caught my eye weren’t the posts and pictures from friends but the 4 ads from four different local solar who were all prominently featuring Tesla Powerwalls! Sure those ads were likely targeted to me by Facebooks algorithms...but still just interesting to me!

But the most important advice as a geezer in advanced stage of Alzheimer's I can give to you youngsters: The best way to avoid dumb mistakes like this announcement etc., in not do anything. When you do not do anything, you do not make mistakes. This should be the guiding principle of your life.

And that is why I never get out of bed and accomplish anything. Likewise, it would be crazy to invest real money in the stock market. Because the best way to avoid a loss is to not invest. :rolleyes: /s

The song "Free Will" by Rush contemplates doing nothing: "If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice"

Fear of failure will prevent you from achieving anything worthwhile. The Tesla we have today was created by people who did not let the fear of failure incapacitate them.

I like it. Is it even possible to change my name? I would think that would cause a lot of confusion if people were changing their names all the time. I guess I’m so bad they’ll make an exception. I’m actually a really nice guy. Not sure why they are picking on me. Why’s everyone always picking on me. It can’t be me can it?:rolleyes:Im so innocent and lovable.
If it wasn't possible you wouldn't be asked to do it.

Y launch...

I think it could be argued that high margin 3 orders declining and that Y being used to maintain margins. It would be really nice to see 3 sales stay consistent or improve in coming quarters.

Of course can keep rolling out new high margin vehicles...

I’m hoping battery production increasing volume