Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$TSLA just now dropped to $575

(thought process)

Yeah! $TSLA hit $590! I’m rich :) Aah but I’m so stupid for not buying more when it was cheap.

Oh crud $TSLA just plunged to $575 :( why didn’t I sell at $590?! This stock is doomed it was just a bubble

(Tomorrow) Allright! Another ATH! But dag nabbit - why didn’t I buy more at $575?! That was a gift!

Cycle repeats daily.

($TSLA recovered to $580 while writing this post)

I wanted to point out a couple of tax strategies I’ve been using, since that subject has been brought up.

I’m financially independent and have no working income:

1) On the first trading day of this year, I transferred 100 TSLA shares from my IRA to my Roth IRA creating $41 500 of income. Because this will be my only income for the year, I will owe less than 10% income tax on it. This same strategy would be effective for anyone who expects to be much richer in several years, and thus in a higher tax bracket than currently, as Tesla keeps growing.

2). I used margin to live on in 2019 and I’m planning to do the same in 2020. In 2019, it saved me from selling shares in the $200s that are now in the $500’s and will be in the $5000’s. In 2020, it will save me paying any income tax aside from that for the Roth conversion. Margin is not dangerous, if used responsibly. Most people buy homes on margin. It is a question of degree. E.g. Being 200% invested in TSLA is insanely risky. Being 105% invested in TSLA and psychologically ready for a drop in the share price of 50% to 60%, is not that risky.

Sold a couple of these, still have 8 others at different strikes with similar gains

D69534EA-3580-46C3-A200-A21591569B7F.jpeg

I just randomly caught this bad boy trade. $1.50 above all the rest of them. Anybody has any insights as to what this trade means?

View attachment 503134

If you want to buy or sell a huge quantity of shares all at once without walking the price up or down from your purchases/sells, you probably have to take a hit. Think of it as an insurance policy against paying considerably more (or selling for considerably less).

Most important advice:

You aren’t truly a Tesla millionaire until you actually sell the stock (or whatever instrument you used) and take your profits.

(Rode my Netscape investment all the way from IPO @~$30/share through its peak @~$190/share - and all the way to the smoking hole in the ground at the end).
Yeah been there with other can't miss investments as well, but (and you know there has to be a but), getting your first equity into 7 figures makes it so much easier to invest in other things which breeds more chance of more success. So yes don't count all your chickens until you cash in and don't spend cash you don't have banked, but learn from this and try to find the next TSLA to invest in. Oh to have known all this 40 years ago. Money isn't everything, but it beats having nothing.

As much as people are warning others not to tell friends, family, acquaintances or complete strangers about their new found wealth, I feel I should have not talked about my islands.

Funny but true related off topic story; I have this uncanny ability to walk into any kind of empty store and within minutes it becomes packed and I can’t get timely service. It literally happens every single time.

Note to self; they know about the islands, the yachts, the walls, the security towers, tigers and border collies - don’t tell them about the — oops! Almost blew it there.
We already know about the underground bunkers.

Why do you assume conservatives want to spend money defending oil? I don't. And this has been the modus operandi of all past administrations going back 75 + years. I don't like it, but somehow the Saudis must have blackmail on EVERYONE.
Yes that is a broad sweeping generalization, and yes all past administrations have propped up oil with our taxes and blood. Having deep pockets such as the Koch bros supporting oil leads to the generalization that conservatives prefer oil and its derivatives.

There is a change coming, and it is not tied to a political bent. We can all benefit from solar power, and whoever can get solar cheaper will win. I wouldn't be surprised if aramco was one of the big recent buyers of tsla to basically hedge their own ipo and future....

Presumably also if, at some point, you feel TSLA exceeds(or matches) the actual worth of the company.

Also, I would note that “locking in gains” isn’t actually necessarily an illogical thing to do. If you made enough on Tesla to retire and live in comfort the rest of your life, and don’t want to worry about trying to make more money anymore, that’s a reasonable stance. The emotional ups and downs of fretting about stock price have some value/cost as well.

Reread my post. I covered your two scenarios.

Reactions: StealthP3D
If the stock closes lower from here, we're looking at a shooting star on the daily chart. (can indicate bearish sentiment in the short term)

Which, if you think about it, really doesn't say much. I mean, the fact that it declined the second half of the day indicates bearish sentiment in the short-term. If I was looking at the short-term, I would have sold it all just before 2pm EST. And probably would have regretted it two days or two weeks later.

I hope its more stupid shorters so the stock can go higher...

Edit: looks like NASDAQ has been trailing downward...

Nasdaq has pulled back only by -0.2%, while TSLA by -4% from the $593 ATH. Feels like profit taking to me, or maybe the shortz.

Volume is very high with 25.5m shares traded so far.

Edit: NIO fell a lot today (-7%), so maybe it's China related.

Last edited:
Options market makers perhaps, a bit of a profit taking, maybe "sell the news" before Q4 - hard to tell, but volume is very high.

My guess is it's the MM's already trying to set the agenda for the next two days. I think they'll try to get it down to $549, if they can.

We'll see how the markets react to that, some might see it as a great buying opportunity.