Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently by conflating the words Nader and Tesla, the modern media believes it will gather clicks (eyeballs). We must wonder who alerted the media to Nader's recent tweets?

In the cases of Tesla and the stock market in general, Nader is far outside his area of expertise. His related tweets make obvious his ignorance in this sphere. Why is he commenting on such matters? Needs attention? Sells short? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the recent "sudden unintended acceleration" silliness spread by the media got Nader's juices flowing. Now that would have been related to the subject that originally garnered him fame. But that SUA nonsense was quickly and decisively quashed by Tesla. Nader also tweets derisively about Trump and his administration. Then yesterday when Trump spoke kindly of Elon and Tesla, that may have inspired Nader with another way to go after Tesla. How dare Elon get all the attention and leave Nader forgotten. :confused:

Last edited:
Perhaps the recent "sudden unintended acceleration" silliness spread by the media got Nader's juices flowing. Now that would have been related to the subject that originally garnered him fame. But that SUA nonsense was quickly and decisively quashed by Tesla. Nader also tweets derisively about Trump and his administration. Then yesterday when Trump spoke kindly of Elon and Tesla, that may have inspired Nader with another way to go after Tesla. How dare Elon get all the attention and leave Nader forgotten. :confused:

Impossible to know his true motivations, but this is as good a guess as any I think.

I've opened a small weekly put position and used a covered call to pay for a September (when I can sell for long term cap gains) 570/380 put spread to protect half of my long term position. I've never felt better about the future of the company. But the short term is trending bearishly at the moment. Hoping for a quick fall so I can leverage up with options again! :)

With my luck and the strong tailwinds it probably wont happen though. GL all!
Short term trending bearishly? We only set ATH about twice a week going on for like 2 months now.

imho it is borderline criminal to promote hydrogen as safe at current technology level.

It's worth pointing out that 7kg is a single car's worth (for example, the latest Mirai holds 6,33kg). That's the damage from a single car's worth of hydrogen going off.

Anyone who thinks "hydrogen is safe" should read NASA's hydrogen handling guidelines; it'll correct them of this notion.

Greta rejects U.S. Treasury chief's degree dig in latest climate clash

Steven Mnuchin possesses an economics degree from Yale—yet denies science—I place far greater value in Greta Thunberg’s judgement.

OT

I started university as a physics major. I switched to computer science, but kept an astronomy minor (with astrophysics). I took the business focus option in my computer science degree, which included some economics courses. I, briefly, considered double majoring in comp sci and econ but realized the schedule would push me into an extra year.

My course work with astronomy / astrophysics required lab work, experiments, and the scientific method. It was during that course work that I first gained an understanding of man made global warming, how it works, and the cascade. Economics, in my opinion, is more of a study of human nature / patterns / psychology and how to pick and choose your statistics. I don't agree with labeling economics as a science.

Greta rejects U.S. Treasury chief's degree dig in latest climate clash

Steven Mnuchin possesses an economics degree from Yale—yet denies science—I place far greater value in Greta Thunberg’s judgement.

This science denying thing is not what it seems. Government policy making is about job protection. No administration want to aggressively side with disruption because this potentially can lose jobs in the US. Just think about all the employees that feed the fossil fuel industry from mining, refining, transportation, storage, and eventually pumped into ICEs. Millions of job are at stake if something like solar+electric cars take over. Think about all the middle man, all the OEMs, all the jiffy lubes and discount auto part stores, all can become a thing of the past.

So if there's a hint of some scientist disagreeing on the subject, the administration will cling to that sentiment just to project jobs. If there's a 1% chance of not having the apocalypse upon us, they rather roll the dice on that then to have an administration with massive job loss for decades.

And before people say "renewable like solar and gigafatories create jobs!" Yeah but a couple of guys spent 8hrs on my roof to install solar and now I don't ever have to use the supply chain of carbon for 50 years. That's scary efficiency and the government knows it.

Seems that both Renault and Nissan are really struggling. Hardly a day goes by without more news about legacy auto manufacturers having difficulties. Even when we've known for a while now that all his has been coming it still feels kind of surreal somehow. It's going to get a lot worse for some of them in a relatively short period of time. Interesting times to be living through such a paradigm shift and it makes me optimistic that we have a brighter and cleaner future ahead of us.

So if there's a hint of some scientist disagreeing on the subject, the administration will cling to that sentiment just to project jobs. If there's a 1% chance of not having the apocalypse upon us, they rather roll the dice on that then to have an administration with massive job loss for decades.

And before people say "renewable like solar and gigafatories create jobs!" Yeah but a couple of guys spent 8hrs on my roof to install solar and now I don't ever have to use the supply chain of carbon for 50 years. That's scary efficiency and the government knows it.

In the next 50 years somebody will replace or upgrade the solar on your roof. Warranty of panels is usually 25 years, inverters maybe 10. The roof below your panels also may have a limited lifetime unless you meant that you have a tesla solar glass roof instead of panels.

Efficiency of production as well as different demand for electricity from your appliances/cars will drive that, too. Then think about all the legacy cars that need to be recycled, and the charging infrastructure for solar powered daytime charging that businesses and workplaces want to deploy. The transition will create a lot more jobs than you think. The only caveat is that with the increase of innovation also comes efficiency in automation.

For sure the hard part of the disruption is that the job skills don't translate, and that retraining and relocation are adding cost. Instead of making oil change kits, now you have to be a firefighter or dam reinforcer or solar installer.

Renault is down 5% today, 12% this year and 58% over the last two years and the troubles have only just begun. Big ICE sales crash in the making, billions in stranded assets, billions in debt and legacy costs, billions needed for developing EVs, which at first will have negative or virtually no margin.

And this is the prospect for all OEMs!

Which investor in their right mind would put any money in traditional OEM stocks for the next five years? If you want to invest in automotive there is only one viable option at the moment. I expect a lot of smart money to switch to TSLA in the coming years.

Say just opened up Q/A suggestions for Tesla's Q4'19 call. Great time to post questions since they will have high visibility by everyone.

Say

Anyone who does this, please remember that Say is not a complaints box, nor a suggestions box, and that everything you say will be reported on, potentially negatively. Please choose your wording in a non-FUDdy manner, and ideally in a way that will allow Tesla to segue into a positive outlook.

(And if you do have something FUDdy to say, please don't deign to speak for everyone in the process :) )

It is too bad that it seems people can't be bothered to search for question and vote for it rather than posting a duplicate. I think Say will have to do something about that or it will just be worthless. (Feature request boards suffer from the same problem.)

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Apparently by conflating the words Nader and Tesla, the modern media believes it will gather clicks (eyeballs). We must wonder who alerted the media to Nader's recent tweets?

In the cases of Tesla and the stock market in general, Nader is far outside his area of expertise. His related tweets make obvious his ignorance in this sphere. Why is he commenting on such matters? Needs attention? Sells short? :rolleyes:

Ralph Nader launched his career attacking the Corvair.

Unsafe at Any Speed - Wikipedia

His book revolutionized people’s views on vehicle safety. And it was mostly wrong. The Corvair had average safety for the time, which was quite terrible.

He loved the attention. He ran for president in 2000 as a third party candidate. He didn’t get enough votes to effect the total vote count, but he did cause Florida to be won by the candidate who came in second in the popular vote.