Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone remember what time of day the earnings were released for Q3?
I only remember this from @Unpilot on that day:

One second prior to Q3 Earnings Release
upload_2020-1-29_11-10-54.png

One second after Earnings Release
upload_2020-1-29_11-11-6.png

I sense a very positive atmosphere of anticipation here on TMC regarding the ER.
Fundamentals looks good, delivery numbers were good. Financial modeling of various posters all look good.

However, when I look outside of TMC, the sentiment goes too far, into contrarian indicator territory!
E.g. whats up with WSJ and Bloomberg publishing positive articles about TSLA ?
Not only Jim Cramer flipped to bull, but even Bob Lutz making positive comment about Tesla & Musk on CNBC.
Feels like something is broken in the world, we entered the twilight zone.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong. My finger is itching to sell some trading shares in case there is a dip tomorrow.
Like there was so many times in the past after ER... But it makes no sense, the numbers look good. Why would it dip?

ps: I found the needed inspirational clip!
I did that before Q3 deliveries and lost money. It's not entirely rational, but I prefer to lose a little on a possible dip than leave more money on the table. Probably because my time horizon is so long that I'm pretty immune to dips.

Any of you guys from Ireland?
Yeah, but a couple hundred years ago.

So, gang, can anyone proffer a meaningful explanation as to why an "analyst" would offer an updated price target a few hours before the earnings call? Surely they would be better to wait, hear the news, the outlook, check perhaps the financials, digest and then make an update taking into account the new information. No? Why now??

Bank of America admits 'rude awakening' for its bearish Tesla call, but still predicts plunge

Analysts at the bank reiterated their underperform rating on Tesla, while raising its 12-month price target on Tesla to $350 from $240 on Wednesday. The new target is still far below Tesla’s Tuesday close of $566.90, representing a 38% drop.

“BofA has had a rude awakening,” analysts led by John Murphy said in a note to investors on Wednesday. “While we admit TSLA is a trailblazer in the electric vehicle market. We believe investor optimism about TSLA’s addressable market for electric vehicles, volume growth trajectory, and, most importantly, sustainable profits/cash flow inflection is overblown.”

Does anyone remember what time of day the earnings were released for Q3?
I only remember this from @Unpilot on that day:

One second prior to Q3 Earnings Release
View attachment 505527

One second after Earnings Release
View attachment 505528
Yes, someone please let me know what time to expect the earnings to be released. I apologize if I missed it. Last quarter though I vaguely remember it being around 1:30 to 2pm PST because I missed it due to a meeting in a cell phone signaless room.

I sense a very positive atmosphere of anticipation here on TMC regarding the ER.
Fundamentals looks good, delivery numbers were good. Financial modeling of various posters all look good.

However, when I look outside of TMC, the sentiment goes too far, into contrarian indicator territory!
E.g. whats up with WSJ and Bloomberg publishing positive articles about TSLA ?
Not only Jim Cramer flipped to bull, but even Bob Lutz making positive comment about Tesla & Musk on CNBC.
Feels like something is broken in the world, we entered the twilight zone.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong. My finger is itching to sell some trading shares in case there is a dip tomorrow.
Like there was so many times in the past after ER... But it makes no sense, the numbers look good. Why would it dip?

ps: I found the needed inspirational clip!

People try to use their minds to bend the spoon.
Sometimes it bends, sometimes it does not.
You must understand ... there is no spoon.

SP may jump, SP may dip.
You must understand ... it matters not.

People try to use their minds to bend the spoon.
Sometimes it bends, sometimes it does not.
You must understand ... there is no spoon.

SP may jump, SP may dip.
You must understand ... it matters not.

Damn it, there's only one possible way to finish your poem:

... and then Tesla goes to the moon!​

Are you trying to jinx it on purpose? :mad:

BofA has had a rude awakening,” analysts led by John Murphy said in a note to investors on Wednesday. “While we admit TSLA is a trailblazer in the electric vehicle market. We believe investor optimism about TSLA’s addressable market for electric vehicles, volume growth trajectory, and, most importantly, sustainable profits/cash flow inflection is overblown.

That's some nice cognitive dissonance he's got there.

Yes, someone please let me know what time to expect the earnings to be released. I apologize if I missed it. Last quarter though I vaguely remember it being around 1:30 to 2pm PST because I missed it due to a meeting in a cell phone signaless room.

The Q3 2019 update letter (pdf: https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/47313d21-3cac-4f69-9497-d161bce15da4) has a "last modified" date of 10/23/19 (which was the day they were released) and a time of 1:51:43 PM, fwiw

2020-01-29_8-30-33.jpg

So, gang, can anyone proffer a meaningful explanation as to why an "analyst" would offer an updated price target a few hours before the earnings call? Surely they would be better to wait, hear the news, the outlook, check perhaps the financials, digest and then make an update taking into account the new information. No? Why now??

Bank of America admits 'rude awakening' for its bearish Tesla call, but still predicts plunge

Analysts at the bank reiterated their underperform rating on Tesla, while raising its 12-month price target on Tesla to $350 from $240 on Wednesday. The new target is still far below Tesla’s Tuesday close of $566.90, representing a 38% drop.

“BofA has had a rude awakening,” analysts led by John Murphy said in a note to investors on Wednesday. “While we admit TSLA is a trailblazer in the electric vehicle market. We believe investor optimism about TSLA’s addressable market for electric vehicles, volume growth trajectory, and, most importantly, sustainable profits/cash flow inflection is overblown.”
No honest reasons that's for sure.

The GF4 land deal got notarized, as confirmed by Brandenburg officials a couple of hours ago:

@GF4Tesla..️️...#GigaBerlin. on Twitter

"The purchase contract between Tesla and the State of Brandenburg has been notarized, the State Chancellery confirmed on Wednesday afternoon in Potsdam after the meeting of a task force.✌✅"​

Notarizing a contract is required in Germany to make it binding: the GF4 deal has closed!