Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile, in New Mexico...

Today the Senate Corporations Committee held a hearing and Senate Bill 2 (SB2), the EV Tax Credit, passed, 6-2. Next step: Senate Finance Committee, which will be a much tougher battle.

Here are the main provisions of the bill, as amended, that passed today:
  • Depending on marital/filing status and your income level, the tax credit is $2500 to $5000 (the latter for lower-income folks)
  • It's being called a "refund tax credit" which is good news: if say you are eligible for 2500 or 5000 credit, but do not have that much of a tax liability owed to the state, then you get the difference as cash. E.g., if you had no income or super-low income, you could get a check from the state for $5000 after buying an EV.
  • Originally the bill had an EV MSRP cap of $48K but that was changed, and the new language that passed the committee states that if the MODEL of vehicle you buy has a BASE PRICE MSRP of 48K or under, then even if you buy a ton of options on the car, it's still eligible for the tax credit. You can bet Tesla's lobbyist was probably involved in that little enhancement to the text of the bill. It means that If you buy, say, a $69000 maxed-out/FSD/Performance Model Y, it's eligible for the credit, because the MSRP on the base model Y is like 44K.
  • If you buy an EV charger for your garage, you're eligible for up to a $300 tax credit on the first $300 of the purchase/installation.
  • If you buy an EV in the state of NM, there will be a new $100 *annual* EV registration fee on top of the normal Dept Motor Vehicles registration fee. Most people who testified today, including me, urged the committee to lower or eliminate that fee as a provision of an otherwise great bill, but in this oil and gas state, it seems like this notion that "EV people need to pay their fair share" is just firmly stuck in the senators' minds and they won't budge.
Overall, a positive step forward.

The irony, of course, the hulking elephant in the room, remains the fact that a little American company called Tesla sells what, 80% of all EVs in the USA, and Tesla is effectively banned from direct on-site test drives, sales, and service in the state of New Mexico, effectively discouraging citizens from buying Teslas for years here. A point I brought up to the committee. In fact, I got data today from the motor vehicles dept that says only ~2300 BEVs are registered in the state of NM. 950 of them are Teslas (and almost half of them are members of the Tesla Owners Club of New Mexico -- not bad :). That is it for EV ownership in NM. Yikes: consider there are a total of 2.3 million vehicles registered in the state. I told the committee that any fee or gotcha or limitation at this point will harm the adoption of EVs and NM urgently needs to step up its game and encourage EV buyers to buy. I told them they should skip the $100 annual fee altogether until, say, EVs are 5% of that 2.3 million. Did they listen to me? Uh, no. :)

We still have a long way to go. That said, it's a positive step forward.

EDIT: Oh -- get this -- one of the 2 "no" votes, a Republican state senator, smugly stated at one point that he was perfectly happy with EVs in the state of New Mexico as long as they were being charged from a coal-burning power plant. I. kid. you. not.

Last edited:
Anybody else having difficulty transferring shares out of fidelity. Decided to open second brokerage account when fidelity let me access my account without the two step verification that I started requiring months earlier. I was shocked but they admitted software error and didn’t seem concerned at all so I opened up Schwab account and fidelity is refusing to transfer my shares. I wonder if they were loaning them out even though they deny that. Amount in question—thousands of shares. Oh well next step arbitration for damages related to it

O'k, I get that we all here on TMC love ARK's analysis on Tesla and their 10% max hold on TSLA in their fund, but why would you want to put money in ARKK? Have you researched all the other companies in ARKK's portfolio as much as you have TSLA? Of course not, that would be a few full time jobs right there. Why buy the milk when you can buy the cow, the egg when you can buy the goose? Just say'n.

Easy. Investing in stocks or funds is not binary. Invest in both if you want some amount of diversity. I would rather invest in ARK to get some diversity than the kazillion other funds because they are actively looking for companies that have the potential to disrupt then dominate technology sectors. I know enough about Tesla to see that ARK's analysts are capable and able to pick companies with this potential at a high enough success rate to deliver better long term returns than funds with little research and analytic chops. The only assumption in ARKs Tesla models that seems outlandish is how many EVs they imagine will be sold annually in four or five years. I don't recall them explaining where the batteries for that many EVs will come from.

Okay, so many of us are "like Elon" in that we have some serious assets in TSLA. (AND, not to be a pill, but don't forget: what goes up might come down again . . . even if the long-term trend is upward.)

Question: how does one turn that into cash flow without actually selling any shares? I guess there's always covered calls, but are there any other avenues by which one can monetize a large portfolio without actually selling any of the shares?

We're decades-long holders of TSLA, but sometimes some cash flow is a good thing. There will likely never be dividends from TSLA as investing in new GF's (and mines!) is a far better way for Tesla to put any excess cash to work.

Thanks for any insights on this "problem."

But trading wise, at this point you are probably feeling a bit uncomfortable holding auch a huge concentrated position. George Soro's feeling based trade strategy says "sell till you feel comfortable". Don't worry about taxes. Having a even and strady trader's psyche is important.

The bit that you want to hold, consult your accountant. Usually it involves a lot of effort and cost 10k+ (maybe 30k now after inflation) to set up but it'll be worth it once done. But you have to be SURE that your assets will remain bigger than this as most of these strategies doesn't make sense for assets under a certain amount.

Remember, a squeeze will deflate just as fast. Be ready with your sell orders and remember, no one ever went broke selling too early!

I need to resolve these calls. I might set a crazy high limit sell and just start walking it down and see if the rising share price can meet in the middle.

True, no one ever went broke selling early, BUT, WHAT OTHER STOCK DO YOU KNOW TODAY COULD GIVE YOU A $4000 price in 4-6 years. Why try to time the market...buy and hold, unless you NEED the money.

Doing everything they can to bring in new shorts.

Problem is, everybody who watches their show and believes their nonsense has already been short. So no new money to pull in because at this point they have no credibility.

Two hilarious comments.

1) “A rebate to short the stock” ?????
2) “Only 21 million shares short, so not a large short interest at this point” ?????

The only legit point they make is that the stock has gone parabolic. That is arguably true, but did all underwater shorts already capitulate? I think not, which means more margin calls coming in and more covering to follow.
Yes heard the segment and had to play it on y tube. So ignorant like the statements you mentioned and one clown said no changes to model s since 2013. They need to do their home work and read something before they get on the air

In other news I happy to report I received my Cybtrk shattered glass t-shirt today as we reached the ATH ....please do your part and get your self a shirt with your new found wealth ....
cybrtk.jpg

Okay, update. This morning I had solicited advice on what to do with my first option purchase as things were moving fast. I had bought a single $750 contract on 1/16/20 for $2.20, expires 2/21/20. SP was climbing into the 700's pretty fast and I wasn't expecting the possibility of it actually being ITM 2+ weeks into it. Never the less, didn't get any advice as the SP exceeded my $752.20 break even. However, my account showed a 2,800% ish gain so I sold it at $60 for an almost $6k profit on $220 in 18 days.

My understanding is that as the expiration date approaches, the theta decays exponentially so I decided to take the sure bet rather than expect the climb to be as meteoric as these past 2 weeks have been. Obviously no one can predict what the next 2 weeks will do but did I jump the gun here and miss out on potentially more significant gains? I keep hearing about after being ITM for too long, there are diminishing returns. Would that have even been an issue with such a short term option?
You need to do your home work. Do imaginary buys of options with various strikes (ITM, OTM) different strikes and follow them. Track %change versus %change in price change. Do not be fooled by prices that represent no action that day and you’ll answer your question without risking loses

Love TSLA and Tesla, but I am a sports car guy at heart. I have a Taycan on order!
Oh now i get it this was supposed to be funny ... my bad

bad idea... if ARK invests bull case is correct ($15,000/share) by 2024
you could spend that $150K on 192 shares (today's close $780/share)
expected value in 2024 = $2.88 Million you really want Taycant?

I am sure you will be happy with a 4 year old Taycant with 160 miles of range left:D

not advice

Last edited:
Doing everything they can to bring in new shorts.

Problem is, everybody who watches their show and believes their nonsense has already been short. So no new money to pull in because at this point they have no credibility.

Two hilarious comments.

1) “A rebate to short the stock” ?????
2) “Only 21 million shares short, so not a large short interest at this point” ?????

The only legit point they make is that the stock has gone parabolic. That is arguably true, but did all underwater shorts already capitulate? I think not, which means more margin calls coming in and more covering to follow.

Yeah is Karen seems confused.. She’s claiming negative stock borrow rates. Or maybe just lower than she’s used to seeing?

Also days to cover isn’t really an accurate measurement unless you discount all the trading by day traders and market makers that are near neutral on stock supply/demand. We’d need to have data on something like unique shares traded to normalize days to cover...

Reactions: kbM3 and MC3OZ
I think we also owe Jag, Audi, BMW, etc. a big thank-you for their help. Not sure how to express my appreciation to them, though.
thank them for the memories...its been nice knowing ya
Hey, a lot of you guys made some real money lately. I see lots of you regulars are not Supporting Members to TMC! Come on guys, step up to the plate already!
just signed up .... did not realize this was an option ...

Last edited: