Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume shorts who are still talking about Tesla cooking books will get hurt after 10-k. And there should be some solid information about Model Y and Semi. BTW last year 10-K was reported on February 14. Would be a nice way to burn these PUT options on Friday

Last year's 10-K filing date was February 19:

I misremembered the February 27 date - so maybe they'll file it next Tuesday, which would be the 18th of February.

And, feeding the closing price on those days in there...

upload_2020-2-12_9-27-25.png

I'm not one to judge people for their weird car fetishes. ;)

Good point. Additionally, cars like Porche 911 in prime condition will not be sent to the crusher, they will still be somewhat collectible even if only desirable by a quirky segment of society. Historically cars like this were collected by the ultra-wealthy, the declining desirability will open ownership of cars like this to people of very modest means (assuming they have the tools and skills to maintain them). While a 911 isn't particularly exotic, it does require a number of specialty tools and knowledge to properly service.

And someone has to be the designated bag-holder as values plunge!

WOW, so much bad OLD news when bringing up TSLA on yahoo finance.
Almost every article is attacking Tesla.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !
This and the uncoordinated bear sales in the first half hour makes me think that the shorts are getting worried again. I'm buying some more.

I ate an edible and I don’t know how to set up a pole. Just wondering who thinks Tesla will have a loss and my god it will shock the market again! or who thinks Tesla will surprise the market with a loss.

My vote is Tesla will have a loss this Quarter. They are ramping the Y and 3 China. The earnings report said there might be a loss when ramping products. Q1 is usually a loss. Don’t get me wrong, I love Tesla and I invested the majority of my savings in it for it least 10 years.

There is also the virus going on right. After Q1 and the virus is under control I will invest more into Tesla.

Those who try to buy and sell based on TSLA's quarterly expected results will greatly underperform those who buy and hold. There are two primary reasons for this:

1) The expected results might not match the reported quarterly results.
2) TSLA is one of those stocks that could easily soar when quarterly results showing a small loss are announced. Especially if that loss is expected and accompanied by unusually positive forward guidance.

The value of Tesla is all about its overall trajectory, earnings lumpiness is to be expected when viewed on a quarter-to-quarter basis. How a stock reacts to quarterly reports has more to do with whether results and guidance are better or worse than expected, not whether they are negative or positive or small or big.

Good point. Additionally, cars like Porche 911 in prime condition will not be sent to the crusher, they will still be somewhat collectible even if only desirable by a quirky segment of society. Historically cars like this were collected by the ultra-wealthy, the declining desirability will open ownership of cars like this to people of very modest means (assuming they have the tools and skills to maintain them). While a 911 isn't particularly exotic, it does require a number of specialty tools and knowledge to properly service.

And someone has to be the designated bag-holder as values plunge!
Most 911 owners do their own servicing. It's not particularly difficult--at least for the older, more collectable ones.

As far as I’m aware Elon has suggested gross margins staying in the 20%+ range, and OpEx growth being kept tightly focused. For “minimal profit” to happen would require one or both of those things to change a lot. Could happen of course, but would be a significant change in the short term situation.

Why wouldn’t you assume Tesla would greatly accelerate Service Center and Supercharger rollouts, as well as R&D?

I’m taking Elon at his word that minimal profit is the goal. Doing the above items sets up for accomplishing the mission. Producing profits in the next few years just decreases cash flow to pay income tax.

Reactions: Eugene Ash