Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holding cash on TSLA is like a sailor returning from shore leave with money still in his pockets.

Exactly! Which is why I'm holding cash. A lot of it. Because I'm not a sailor returning from shore leave. And I still haven't found a home for most of my TSLA calls profits.

In general, I'm only fully invested when everyone is running scared. But everyone's situation is different. I've been retired for a little over 20 years and my only income is that which I generate myself. By holding a large cash balance when the market is booming, I'm more comfortable with a higher weighting in stocks and growth stocks vs. investments with lower returns.

Heck, even when I was a fisherman I always returned from shore leave with plenty of cash remaining. Not because I didn't have fun, but because I brought enough to cover every possible contingency and then some.

Here's one of the more valuable life hacks I found useful for saving money: Don't limit the amount of cash you have on hand thinking that's a good way to limit spending. That just makes you feel poor and want things you can't buy until you have the money readily available. Instead, always ensure you have access to more than enough money. Limit spending by always knowing you could buy whatever you wanted at the moment but that you will be happier overall if you only buy things that will serve you well in the bigger picture. This is how you take charge of your spending without feeling deprived. It forces you to make better decisions. Not because you have to, because you want to. It puts you in charge.

Damn, the timing on these things is so random.
If I had the guts to hold my 2 other 600 calls, I coulda sold them yesterday for +$10k.

But as soon as I sold em, TSLA shot up and I didn't have enough to pay 100% for my 800c exercise yesterday.

So, decided to hold a bit more. Now bam! Coronavirus comes in. All of a sudden.

Leaving me on the middle ground-
deleveraged, but not enough money to pay for 100 shares.
:(

Well fellow longs, here's your buying opportunity!
SP bounced off $860 as we closed the gap to Tuesday's Close:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-02-20.11-45.png

Now let's see if Macros recover or continue to slump.

Cheers!

Disappointed that the early morning drop didn't get low enough to trigger an call buyback so I could get a free roll-up. :Þ But, such is life. :) I'm stuck in a middle-ground between exploiting volatility to roll up sold calls for free, and needing to roll up my call spreads / partially profit take because the stock is hitting new highs.

Did that trip to $860 a few minutes ago do it for you?

Reactions: Carl Raymond