Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

woodisgood

All your cell are belong to us
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
So a bit of a personal note but funny how it corresponded to this market "correction" and really affected my mental state. Our Model 3 (almost 50K miles) developed an awful creaking coming from the suspension suddenly on Monday. It's probably a control arm. The thing sounds like a rickety stagecoach going down the street, to the point that it's utterly embarrassing and everyone turns and looks. At least everyone can hear me coming in parking lots now. It'll be fixed Monday (I hope) and maybe with a HW3 upgrade too!

But combined with my TSLA-heavy portfolio being down nearly 50% and not enough dry powder to feel like I was really able to take advantage of the sale, sure felt like things were coming apart. Of course I'm well aware that everything will be ok, and this is such a small blip in the grand scheme of things...Tesla is continuing down its path of saving the world via domination, and the SP will quickly trend in the right direction.

When I step back and parse everything out, it was our beloved Model 3 developing this issue that was bothering me most. Maybe it's just an illustration of how deeply consumers can fall in love with these products.

PeterJA

Sep 26, 2013
San Diego
Wait for high 400s low 500s imo. Tesla has a history of dropping at most 50% from its previous all time high. If you’re a super long term investor then it doesn’t really matter

Timing the market is hard, but I know an indicator that worked last year.

In 2019, Adam Jonas bashed Tesla for five months until late May when TSLA sank below $180. Then he contradicted himself within a week and turned positive on company prospects. That's when I started buying shares again.

When a volatility-milker like Morgan Stanley signals they are ready to milk an upswing, that's when I expect it to start. Of course this is a historical sample size of only one. But I'll be watching Joker Jonas this year.

Kenypowa

Jun 3, 2015
Calgary, AB
So a bit of a personal note but funny how it corresponded to this market "correction" and really affected my mental state. Our Model 3 (almost 50K miles) developed an awful creaking coming from the suspension suddenly on Monday. It's probably a control arm. The thing sounds like a rickety stagecoach going down the street, to the point that it's utterly embarrassing and everyone turns and looks. At least everyone can hear me coming in parking lots now. It'll be fixed Monday (I hope) and maybe with a HW3 upgrade too!

Not investment related.

I had the same sharp creaking sound coming from the read suspension when the car was around 40k mile. It was super loud and uncomfortable. It went away after driving on the freeway for about 10 minutes, and it hasn't came back. Hope the same goes for you.

Yesterday my Model 3 saved me on the freeway from a SUV when the driver changed lane without checking his blind spot. My car swerved before I even realize what happened. Sure the stock is taking a pummeling but I don't think any other car could avoid this crash like a Tesla could. If I were driving any other car, not sure I would be up and typing this morning. It's all about perspective and I'm just grateful my family and the other driver were both unharmed and went on our lives.

SoGA Fan Club

Supporting Member
May 22, 2019
Savannah, GA
Is it just me or no ''main stream'' media seems to have caught up the model Y march delivery news???

Dude, they can't think about anything right now but the coronavirus. They could care less about Tesla at this moment.

And it's not just Tesla. They aren't covering much of anything else. They dream about stuff like this coming along - it's great for their business. Like a hurricane to tree removal companies!

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
In the middle
Dude, they can't think about anything right but the coronavirus. They could care less about Tesla at this moment.

And it's not just Tesla. They aren't covering much of anything else. They dream about stuff like this coming along - it's great for their business. Like a hurricane to tree removal companies!
Coronavirus clickbait >>>> Tesla clickbait.
Not investment related.

I had the same sharp creaking sound coming from the read suspension when the car was around 40k mile. It was super loud and uncomfortable. It went away after driving on the freeway for about 10 minutes, and it hasn't came back. Hope the same goes for you.

Yesterday my Model 3 saved me on the freeway from a SUV when the driver changed lane without checking his blind spot. My car swerved before I even realize what happened. Sure the stock is taking a pummeling but I don't think any other car could avoid this crash like a Tesla could. If I were driving any other car, not sure I would be up and typing this morning. It's all about perspective and I'm just grateful my family and the other driver were both unharmed and went on our lives.
FWIW, I had what I thought was suspension creaking and it was just the hinge for the trunk. They said they had seen it before.

woodisgood

All your cell are belong to us
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
Not investment related.

It's investment related in that maybe the car lets you live another day in order to invest. :D I don't think I'm as lucky as you on the creaking but we'll see. Thankfully still under warranty (barely) or the irk-factor would increase a notch.

Maybe it will resolve itself as the SP returns to the 750+ range...speaking of which, isn't max pain something around there?

• Funny
Reactions: Eugene Ash

gtrplyr1

Aug 30, 2017
Burbank CA
Keep buying

Did my part early this morning .... grabbed 50 shares. Looking to add another 100 on the way up.

I sold some of my long standing AAPL early this week to free up some dry powder ... it was a move I'd been planning for a while as I feel AAPL is still a fantastic stock but it's exponential growth is behind them .... TSLA on the other hand ... well you already know!!!

Cheers to the longs .... (not totally confident my buy this morning will look as good by the close but I don't care ... let's look at it in 3 years and I'm pretty confident I will be very happy with the buy! )

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
My only concern is that if people have their brokerage accounts down 30-50%, they'd hesitate a bit more on a 50k car unless they really needed it.

Why do you think significant numbers of people will have brokerage accounts down 30-50%. Yes, it's possible if the Coronavirus goes crazy but it doesn't look like that will be the case. People who sold in fear at the bottom and then shorted the market as it rose could be down that much but who does that? Probably not people who would buy a Tesla anyway.

It looks like the SP500 is only down 9.25% since the beginning of the year and 13% off its all-time high.

tachyon

Oct 13, 2016
Milwaukee
I actually think thats good though. a weekend where people cannot trade, and the press will eventually talk itself out of all the excitement. The first time they get to unravel their exciting scrolling BREAKING NEWS with scary images of a scientists or a dude in a hazmat outfit...it gets clicks and views, but after day X people start wondering about the baseball scores or whats on netflix.

People bore quickly, and the constant OMG VIRUS headlines only draw heads for X days. 2 days of a closed market is exactly what we need to restore some long term thinking.

So..if that makes sense, monday should open definitely up, so I'd say the smart money buys at close today.

S Carolina primary on Saturday and others on Super Tuesday should help provide new fodder to media and they will move on from COVID fear mongering. I hopeful for markets to stabilize over weekend.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC