Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon needs to be talking to private equity today. Just for 20 minutes at lunch.

Set up another convertible offering plus a take private scenario at $420.69 with financial commitment......then maybe tweet about it.

[/not sarcasm]

We've fallen 60% from peak now, which is about the same as Square has fallen, and also around the same as the legacy auto has fallen

There HAS to be a bottom around here somewhere.

It was what, 10 days ago or so, I felt that in the next month or so Dow would visit the 19000s and TSLA would probably see 350.

I didn't think we might see both today! Yikes. I still think this unfortunately has more downward travel ahead of it. I bought more at 415 and plan to buy more in the 200s.

Hmm! Here's an idea:
  • take out $30K margin when TSLA hits $250
  • buy 120 shares with the $30K
  • sit on the shares until TSLA climbs back to 800 again later this year (maybe? hopefully?)
  • sell all 120 shares
  • pay off margin
  • pay off margin interest
  • set aside required amount for taxes later
  • use rest of proceeds to buy loaded Performance Model Y
  • pay for sales tax and registration and rest of fees
  • wait for delivery
  • take possession of car
  • drive from New Mexico to Arizona, location of the nearest In-n-Out Burger
  • go to drive-thru lane
  • order the biggest burger and fries and soda they can make because by then I will be so sick of lentil soup and rice and water at home, I'm going to need a huge burger and fries!!! :)

People rate this funny, but it's not funny at all. All sorts of people (anyone that doesn't want to see Tesla succeed) will sign that petition. This really pisses me off, and now I'm going to have to have another session with @Krugerrand to get back into a zen-like state.

Taking a devil’s advocate position.
It’s possible that some of those signers might be factory line workers who are living with at-risk family members? Can’t assume that every worker is gung-ho about pumping out cars at the moment when all their other friends and family are in shelter mode.

For what it's worth, I'm ending my volatility play today. It's done a nice job at rolling written calls up to higher strikes, but now I'm in outright acquisition mode, buying them all back. They're so cheap now, and rolling my protective puts is yielding so much cash now, that I might as well just get rid of them. If we keep going down, the cash from protective put rolls will instead be used to start opening up brand new call positions.

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound like auto manufacturers are on the list right now for aid from coronavirus. On list airlines, hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, aircraft manufactures (reading this as Boeing), energy industry (reading this as oil and gas), retailers and consumer packaged goods.

Here are the industries that could get coronavirus aid from the US government - MarketWatch

Positive to prospect to add: Auto industry has great lobbyists....plant closings will spotlight focus on the industry as well.
Negative: have received bailouts already......

Kolodny works so hard for a negative scoop and then she comes up with a loving letter to employees giving them all the options in the world. basically, "We are running but if you don't want to come in, no problem, we understand. We'll even let you borrow paid sick leave you haven't even earned yet - don't worry and stay safe."

HaHaHaHa! And then she did all the legwork so she decides to publish it anyway even though it puts Tesla in a good light. How demoralizing for her. No kickbacks for this article!

Does this chick ever report on something positive that Tesla is doing? I only see her name associated with negative stories. Honestly it seems like we have a lot of people out there in general who feel it’s their mission in life to point out or create negativity in people or companies.

Interesting:

Ford, GM and Fiat Chrysler will close all factories amid coronavirus outbreak, sources say

Ford, General Motors and Fiat Chrysler will close all of their factoris due to worker fears about the coronavirus, sources tell 7 Action News.

The details of the closure are expected to be released later Wednesday, and the closures could come as early as Wednesday.

Sources say that FCA was planning to make the announcement, but all of the Big 3 will now join them in closing.

It is not known how long the shutdowns will last.​

Some of their plants already had coronavirus cases.
They also have a sales drop and rise in inventories, so a way to clear a glut, with a hope of a government handout to foot the payroll bill

Reactions: Lessmog and X Fan
Taking a devil’s advocate position.
It’s possible that some of those signers might be factory line workers who are living with at-risk family members? Can’t assume that every worker is gung-ho about pumping out cars at the moment when all their other friends and family are in shelter mode.

Tesla gives them an option to stay home at their own discretion.

They can use paid sick leave or decide not to. If the plant is shut they don't get paid and unemployment doesn't kick in right away.

Tesla is being super-generous here by allowing workers to use paid sick leave they haven't even earned yet!

Doesn’t sound like auto manufacturers are on the list right now for aid from coronavirus. On list airlines, hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, aircraft manufactures (reading this as Boeing), energy industry (reading this as oil and gas), retailers and consumer packaged goods.

Here are the industries that could get coronavirus aid from the US government - MarketWatch
If auto makers are not going to get help then Tesla has to continue to operate. It would be against their interest to shut down now.

Sounds like Tesla is telling the county that they do not dictate state or federal law

Does this chick ever report on something positive that Tesla is doing? I only see her name associated with negative stories. Honestly it seems like we have a lot of people out there in general who feel it’s their mission in life to point out or create negativity in people or companies.

It's only negative. She regularly talks with TSLAQ folks and turns over rocks to try and find something negative to write. You wont ever see a positive article from her. She claims to be very pro environment and wants action on climate change though?:rolleyes:

I call end of quarter now. Short month - only 18 days.
We're good ;)

Seeing those 18 days and thinking of these unusual times, I just wanted to mention that in the year 1700 the kingdom of Denmark had a February with only 18 days (so March 1st followed February 18).

The king mandated this change on advice from astronomer Ole Rømer (known also for estimating the finite speed of light), as a way to transition from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar,
Adoption of the Gregorian calendar - Wikipedia

Some people were very upset, convinced that they had been robbed 11 days of their lives.

Wait, where was I? Oh right, trying to set up a limit to buy 10 TSLA at 328€, but then getting logged off from IB. No matter, I will probably get another shot...

PS. Got my 10 TSLA @ 322.95€...

Last edited:
Question for all the cup half-full people:

What possibly positive imminent news regarding the virus is out there to warrant a rebound of the sentiment/market in the very near future?

not asking for hopes and dreams, but tangible news that could turn the macros around
Certainty around details of COVID-19, i.e. 1) Why are some ppl asymptomatic vs. others whom are not vs. other getting critically ill, 2) What can alleviate the critical conditions of the virus in the more at-risk demographic or elders, folks w/ weaker immune systems, etc., and 3) When panic settles down, and folks realize the world will not end from COVID-19 - in fact, the economic impact to avert spread of the virus is probably more damaging than the virus itself.

What possibly positive imminent news regarding the virus is out there to warrant a rebound of the sentiment/market in the very near future?

not asking for hopes and dreams, but tangible news that could turn the macros around

I can't imagine a turn around until we start seeing a peak and decrease in new cases. Maybe 2-3 weeks from now.

Or an effective treatment of course.

Immediate ban on short selling. I can't believe they haven't done this.

Step 1: ban all new shorts
Step 2: all shorts must be covered within 2 weeks