Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm feeling a lot happier today. TSLA up 24% may have something to do with that.
I find it interesting to read different tones from EU and US posters. Guess this is because US is at an earlier stage. People locked down at home for a few weeks tend to be more grumpy. Here's a nice semi-log scale graph showing where the US currently is.

View attachment 523380

Edit: source on request. John Burn-Murdoch (@jburnmurdoch) | Twitter
Amazing graph. So US can expect to flatten out in 2 weeks as long as it shuts down like the rest of us. As always, how the US behaves will set the tone in the market. Or has the US peaked too early?
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

What should not be done is shut down the global economy. Because there is a cost on the head of every individual, an actuarial cost of life, and - in countless fields - money is literally exchanged for human lives based on the values chosen. If you shut down the global economy, you rob the money supply, and in turn, you kill people. A normal year sees 58 million deaths. To any of these "full shutdown" people, I ask, how much do you want to crank that number up by destroying the global economy?

To put it another way: how does the quality and longevity of life look in, say, Haiti? Or Afghanistan? Or the Republic of Congo? And even they have some economic activity ongoing.

There is however a huge difference between "not shutting down the global economy" and "doing nothing". There should be onerous requirements on companies about sterilization and social distancing of employees (and customers). If a company cannot afford to do them, then yes, that company should be shut down. But if the financial activity justifies the isolation costs, then no, it shouldn't be.

I'm deeply bothered by the fact that people seem to be focused on the wrong issues. Shutting down companies where there's proportionally low risks of transmission? Yes, at the drop of a hat! Doing nothing about people cramming into lines at grocery stores, or long crowded "CDC health survey lines" at airports, or all of the people who don't have to work crowding at parks, beaches, etc, or hosting block parties? For god's sake, put your effort into policing that sort of thing, not shutting down the global economy.
Thank you Karen, I thought it was just me. At my local supermarket this morning they stopped people queuing at each individual cashier. The super queue stretched halfway around the store but it appeared to have 2 benefits. It improves social distancing and allows shoppers to pass near the cashier area.

Fremont PD tweets about a meeting today with City management team and Tesla:

Twitter
Bloomberg: Tesla to Meet Police Over Continuing to Run Plant Despite Order

“Police Chief Kimberly Petersen and members of our city management team will meet with Tesla factory management today to discuss cooperation for compliance with the county health officer’s order,” the Fremont, California police department said in a Twitter post.

Tesla handed out masks and took workers’ temperatures before they entered the factory Thursday. The company also is adding more hygiene stations and rearranging parts of the plant to promote social distancing, Valerie Workman, the carmaker’s head of human resources for North America, wrote in an internal email late Wednesday. She said the company continues to hold discussions with government officials about making Tesla’s workspace safe while also continuing to run an operation Tesla deems critical to national infrastructure.

Days like today will make delivery numbers and battery day more special. We could see a couple more runs like this if Tesla can execute down the stretch and through April. I believe it is ready to take off as model y has not been factored in.

However I want to stay level headed. Still in a bear market and news is changing daily!

but in good news some of my reports on short sellers on twitter have been responded to. Twitter agreed they were in violation of abuse. Not that it does anything but they are clearly attacking our pro Tesla accounts.

Right or wrong, I converted some shares to LEAPS to keep comfortable distance from margin and free up cash. I bought some more GOOGL since it’s the only current connection to SpaceX by owning 7.5% last I checked. I took off most of my downside protection yesterday but not all. My trading diary will be full of lessons learned and screw ups from past and future days but it’s all apart of learning and getting better and HODL never lets a person down when it comes to strong convictions like TSLA.

BPTRX is one of Ron Baron's funds. 5% of its assets are in SpaceX and 18% of its assets are in Tesla. Needless to say (I know because I own it unfortunately) is that it has been hit pretty hard recently; you might want to take a look at it to see if it's to your liking.

A few are wanting to take credit for the Tesla turnaround but I caused it.:cool:
I'd credit CNBC. When a media channel that to a man/woman normally would rather chew ten kilograms of ground glass rather than say something positive about Tesla comes out and says they are in a good financial position, it goes to show that there is a real difference between Tesla and the legacy automakers. Of course, they still haven't figured out that Tesla is not just a car manufacturer. Give 'em ten years.

Amazing graph. So US can expect to flatten out in 2 weeks as long as it shuts down like the rest of us. As always, how the US behaves will set the tone in the market

I know there have been reports of Miami springbreak teens on the beach, but I have found my area behaving quite well with regard to "social distancing" and "sheltering in place". My son who works in healthcare took this pic on the way home. This is the #4 Subway in Manhattan at 6:30pm this past Saturday - normally a "standing room only" train.
upload_2020-3-19_15-6-51.png

BPTRX is one of Ron Baron's funds. 5% of its assets are in SpaceX and 18% of its assets are in Tesla. Needless to say (I know because I own it unfortunately) is that it has been hit pretty hard recently; you might want to take a look at it to see if it's to your liking.

Thank you! I just learned I have to go through some broker hoops first - some sort of advisement spiel - before I can buy it. I’ll definitely be looking into that option.

Reactions: Thumper
2 of my first tranches in another asset as my earliest bet for reversal has completely reversed course and rebounded.

So showing some hopeful sign.

Today SPX is down while TSLA up bigly. This is good. I believe ppl have gone past the margin call territory now and are in the process of differentiating between quality stock that are immune to this vs stocks that will be hard hit.

I'm feeling a lot happier today. TSLA up 24% may have something to do with that.

I've found it best to avoid letting emotions be jerked around by changes in share price (up or down).

The proper response to a rapidly rising share price should be:

A totally counter-productive response to rising share price is:

At my local supermarket this morning they stopped people queuing at each individual cashier. The super queue stretched halfway around the store but it appeared to have 2 benefits. It improves social distancing and allows shoppers to pass near the cashier area.
That sucks. Supermarket chain here (Giant Foods) which I don't normally frequent, has started a 6-7 AM seniors only hour, and also have an app to scan items as you shop, as well as an option to provide a payment method (I used Apple Pay!) to never have to interact with an employee.

I called them and asked, "Who do I have to go to to inspect my bags contents?" I was shocked when she said that, for now, it's an honor system! Mind blown. Probably won't last long before people game the system. :(

For now, they have a new customer, and it's much closer than where we normally shop.

Last edited by a moderator: