Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 25% tariff on trucks (pickups and SUV’s) is probably one of the reasons why European car companies never bothered designing and making more full sized trucks for the US market. So the tariff served its purpose: killing competition from abroad.
Yo, not just probably. Lyndon Johnson's 1963 'Chicken Tax' killed the VW Pickup truck market in the USA. I think that's what Drumpf meant when he mispelled 'MAGA' (pining for his lost/wasted youth)
MTGA.jpg

My thinking on the $35k situation. Could be to do with simplifying the message:
  1. Preparing for MY - important that the website is as simple as possible and that MY looks good value for max reservations / media interest
  2. Website/message simplification ahead of introduction of standard interior. Not to be confused with standard range. Check out the first pinned comment - The information came from a trusted source whom I cannot reveal so don’t ask
  3. Removal of 75s has been a success. This is the most important time (next 4 weeks) for MR demand in US.
  4. Reintroduction of SR will now guarantee significant media interest
I predicted Elon would temporarily remove SR for April Fools' day. He is always one step ahead....

The 25% tariff on trucks (pickups and SUV’s) is probably one of the reasons why European car companies never bothered designing and making more full sized trucks for the US market. So the tariff served its purpose: killing competition from abroad.

The only way trucks and SUVs designed primarily for the US market will be profitable is if they are made in the North America.

Not any Detroit company makes a car primarily for Europe and then decides to manufacture it in the North America. That would be stupid.

Saw on Twitter fud: data leaked from Tesla's website (inventory match flag), the current inventory is about 8500 cars still waiting on parking lots.
That's about (or less than) 2 weeks of production. Not that bad isn't it?
But it also shows how inventory growed end of December, so sales definitely took a hit (but one could also assume that those cars were put on botes)

Yo, not just probably. Lyndon Johnson's 1963 'Chicken Tax' killed the VW Pickup truck market in the USA. I think that's what Drumpf meant when he mispelled 'MAGA' (pining for his lost/wasted youth)

What exactly did Johnson kill? How many Microbus with rear cabin replaced with a bed did he kill?

100k units 200k units 300k units per year?

BTW You misspelled "mispelled."

• Funny
Reactions: CorneliusXX
View attachment 378693 Figured something today regarding Reuters and it's consistently negative stance on Tesla reporting. Turns out, Jenn Ablan who is the editor in charge of US investments is a Chanos fan and believes Tesla is a fraud. SMH..
Oh, this explains why Reuters keep spreading so many lies and never bother to correct them even though they've been debunked again and again.

I wrote multiple times to Reuters to point to the obvious lies or false claims in their articles (e.g "The market for upscale electric cars is Tesla’s to lose, with sales of its entry-level Model 3 sedan expected to reach about 50,000 cars this year and almost double that in 2019"
in an article published on September 3 2018) and they *never* bother to correct/remove them.

It is really is a fake news source.

Removal of 75s has been a success. This is the most important time (next 4 weeks) for MR demand in US.

I'm curious about this. The latest US vin registrations were all RWD only, which implies that people previously interested in the S75 are not substituting for the P3D. There has only been one round of vin registrations for the US this quarter and the volume covers less than two weeks production so it is too early to make a conclusion, however if the next batch is RWD only it would be difficult to think there is much demand at all for the AWD version in the US currently as I would expect Tesla to prioritise production of these vehicles.

Of course they did, and the 18650 at the same time. Ask yourself why they would change the recipe for one cake and not the other? The chemistry is Telsa's IP. Panasonic is just their manufacturor.

The level of magical thinking surrounding the 2170 cell boggles the mind. It's just a can.

It's the obvious thing to do. I simply don't remember a more definite confirmation for that other than Jack.

Surprised no one's mentioned Hondas' departure from the UK. NOT Brexit related ( apparently) the BBC are devastated :) oh and the loyal work force are unhappy it has to be said. 2 down 1 to go? Of course they JAPS don't need the uk "aircraft carrier" any more now they have carte Blanche from the Eu. To be fair they are just looking after their own-- carn't blame ' em.

~90% of the production at that plant goes for export btw.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
THIS! I've been thinking about this a lot lately myself. Besides the possibility of the Model Y cutting into Model 3 demand and sales, a Tesla Pickup Truck would reach a vastly different segment of the automobile marketplace, and would have the effect of even more eyeballs glued to every Tesla seen on the road than can possibly be imagined. Model Y later. Tesla Pickup Truck NOW!
Come on Elon, BRING IT!!!

You don't take into account what's Elon's long term plan/priority.
If FSD is the priority and "data mining" brings more value, the aim will be to bring to market as many cars as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Anyone care to estimate the stock price movement following the opening of orders for the $35K standard range?

I have read that the addressable market doubles for each $5K price drop. This will be an $8K drop, so the car becomes affordable to roughly 3 times as many buyers.

Of course the FUD will be that margins are squeezed and profits will turn to loss. I don’t believe that - Tesla are ready or they would not jump now. They have no compulsion to introduce the SR now. It’s happening now because they are ready. The volume is there, the margin is there, the workforce is down and automation up, the Grohmann cell pack line is ready (or will be).

And it’s not like every car off the line will suddenly be low end - Tesla are in full control of the model mix, via delivery wait time. Initially it will be a trickle, but a promise met nevertheless.

This very soon moment represents the fulfilment of master plan part one. Time to chill the champagne. I don’t care what the market does between now and then; it will be irrelevant.

Can I just mention that it bugs me that you have badging and a spoiler, and I (4.5 months after delivery) do not? Not your fault, I know...

Not sure if bragging or complaining :D

By the way, remember when I wrote about why I'm generally in the group of vegetarians who keeps their mouth shut, to avoid how people react? This is why.

Whaaat? :p

Yes. Have you ever heard me talk about it before?

That doesn't mean that if specifically challenged on the issue in a discussion specifically on the topic I'm not going to respond.

But I've been trying to avoid talking about this topic again and generally been ignoring replies on the topic, for the sake of this forum, so let's please not bring it back up.