Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor Russell and Lora. They went full out jungle commando to try to shut down Fremont. It happened and we have gone up since. God Bless America. Let’s go.
Had Tesla not closed down auto production, there would be an endless feeding frenzy for journalist attacking it.

They can't really attack Tesla for making ventilators, though. Musk is surprising many by claiming Tesla can build about 1200 ventilators this week. This is a great opportunity for Tesla to show how well it can ramp up production. Investors will take note. Even though Model V might not add much to the top or bottom line, it demonstrates how well Tesla can deliver under pressure, how well it can compete with legacy auto OEMs also attempting to ramp up ventilator production.

Viva la Tesla!

I have been thinking about that. I also think it's likely, but I'm also wondering if they actually want to. A lot of what the legacy automakers have is only useful for making ICE cars and would have to be thrown out and modified heavily. If they only want the factories, isn't it cheaper to just buy the factories rather than the whole company. Actually it might be cheaper to just build new ones.
Definitely, especially when places are offering big incentives for Tesla to build there. I guess that depends for starters on how cheap you can buy the old, which can change a lot these days. I remember how cheap Tesla got the Fremont plant, that was a pretty incredibly good bargain, and I imagine they also got a lot of the workers that previously worked there (would be interesting to know how many still do). Also I think there is probably value in buying an established car factory because it can take a while to get all of the regulatory ducks in the row for a new one, where an established one has all that taken care of, if I remember right that is why they went for the Berlin location.

The stock market is hard to predict! This morning I was watching the news, and it was all doom and gloom, with experts predicting more sick patients than we can treat 2 weeks from now.

The longer a smart person plays the markets, the more they realize excessive trading is really a fools' errand. And the longer a stupid person plays the markets, the less money they have. That said, I still strategize and position myself for maximum effect, but trying to micro-manage the market is not all that productive of a way to spend my time.

I'm a deer in the headlights and don't know how to trade today.

Anyone who manages their own portfolio MUST watch this short documentary on the brain. It's best watched when you are not busy or pressured at all so bookmark it for watching when you feel introspective:

The strange idea that we are not in control of our minds - BBC Reel

It's not specifically about investing or trading but it has some powerful insights into decision making which, of course, is very relevant to those topics.

Yes, I was trying to hedge TSLA with FCAU Puts. It was a good call. I would have nearly doubled my money if my market order had filled close to the BID/ASK price. Instead I'm down $100K on what should have been a $20K order. I learned my lesson on Market orders (I've used them for years and never had that happen before).

You can use what's called a "Market Limit Order" to achieve what you were trying to do while ensuring the price wasn't completely unreasonable. If you had set the limit price such that the maximum price of your order would have been, say, $25-$28K, you would have prevented that fiasco.

I just took a look at your posts on Twitter. WOW - doom and gloom all the way. I don't know if I can find one positive post or retweet from you. Now that I know where you stand, I will never take any advice from you here on TMC or on Twitter. EVER.

Sheesh! You had to go to Twitter to conclude that? I knew that after three posts right here on TMC! ;)

Is it bad that I'm a bit disappointed with how Tesla has been trading since open???? We were up multiples on the nasdaq and now pretty much just in line....actually trailing now. I know I'm acting spoiled :p
It goes both ways. People here who own are disappointed it hasn't gone up. Folks who are waiting for a buying opportunity are unhappy it hasn't dropped 20%.

Demand for Tesla vehicles as a whole didn’t drop. But the shorts sure twisted it that way. And it worked for about 7 months. Idiot week longs but good buying opportunities. Just wish I had bought more. Was actually due to shipping and logistics issues to China. S/X sales did drop due to Tesla discontinuing their most popular 75D variant. But those people probably ended up buying a 3.

That is a true, but U.S. demand for Model 3 dropped as well. This is why there were 2 price cuts in 2019Q1 for Model 3.

I mean, this is literally basic Economics 101 supply and demand curves. You suddenly raise prices (effectively through tax credit drop) and demand will drop. Optimal supply to U. S. market should then drop, as it did.

Tesla has great long term demand but it still has price elastic products. @Fact Checking @KarenRei

Sheesh! You had to go to Twitter to conclude that? I knew that after three posts right here on TMC! ;)

Ok you guys put your head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy.

I'll leave you with this

"Dr. Neil M. Ferguson, a British epidemiologist who is regarded as one of the best disease modelers in the world, produced a sophisticated model with a worst case of 2.2 million deaths in the United States.

I asked Ferguson for his best case. “About 1.1 million deaths,” he said."

Opinion | The Best-Case Outcome for the Coronavirus, and the Worst