Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a read on what happened to cash this quarter?
Quarter-end cash and cash equivalents increased by $1.8B QoQ to $8.1B, driven mainly by our recent $2.3B capital raise and offset by negative quarterly free cash flow of $895M. Sequential inventory growth impacted our operating cash flow negatively by $981M, which was primarily attributed to the interruption of our operations at the end of the quarter. Capital expenditures increased sequentially mainly due to investments in Model Y preparations in Fremont and Gigafactory Shanghai.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
3FD54A89-10BE-4D6C-8D77-CE0592A32855.jpeg

Hopefully an analyst picked up on that and asked. Sounds like reiterated guidance which is crazy.
I think what they're saying is that assuming that the shelter in place orders are lifted as currently planned they have production capacity of >500k. With the current volatility around that situation I personally wouldn't count on that. (I'm guessing ~50% probability)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm generally pretty pleased with the numbers, mostly just curious about how to break down that (not very surprising) inventory spike and what the plan is for delivering the remainder, what they are seeing in various markets, etc. Otherwise it looks like it will mostly be a matter of how much cost cutting (very short term) and Fremont reopen (intermediate term). Should be a very interesting call, great job TSLA...

As a bull, I am extremely surprised and pleased at how impressive many of these numbers are. My only 'meh' number was the solar installed number. I'd like to see solar/energy grow enough that the company is less dependent on the auto market.
It would be interesting to know how rapid the solar roof ramp-up looks. it might be all at the very end of the quarter, so maybe Q2 solar will look better...
But all the automotive numbers are hilarious. Even more amazing as we watch Ford, GM etc practially fall apart. Very pleased to hold my stock in this amazing company :D

for the record i SERIOUSLY considered selling 15%-20% also, which i never do. i just couldn't completely make the case with any certainty, so i did what i always do (nothing).

You are in good company.

Warren Buffett's
most famous quotes to make underline the importance of doing nothing: “Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style.”

i'm more interested in production than demand.

and yeah, without Coronavirus, 500k would have been a ridiculously easy bar to clear.

now ... who knows.
Freemont will be open soon. Right or wrong the US is ready to pop and just accept the results. I think we are doing it in a profoundly stupid manner but it is what it is.

I'm generally pretty pleased with the numbers, mostly just curious about how to break down that (not very surprising) inventory spike and what the plan is for delivering the remainder, what they are seeing in various markets, etc. Otherwise it looks like it will mostly be a matter of how much cost cutting (very short term) and Fremont reopen (intermediate term). Should be a very interesting call, great job TSLA...
They planned on increasing inventory this quarter due to decreasing it too much in Q4.

Couple of genius traders right there.

We don't always time it right. I even sold about 66% of my shares at $797 & $798 so that I have more cash on the side. Don't always want to get burned, but always happy to sell with gains, albeit not as much as I wanted to. COVID-19 is a wild beast here and might sink the stock some more later on without any vaccine available on the immediate horizon.

We don't always time it right. I even sold about 66% of my shares at $797 & $798 so that I have more cash on the side. Don't always want to get burned, but always happy to sell with gains, albeit not as much as I wanted to. COVID-19 is a wild beast here and might sink the stock some more later on without any vaccine available on the immediate horizon.
I have been too cautious going into earnings more often that I'd like to admit. Sold some core shares going into Q3 2019 and bought back quickly with egg on my face. This time I kept all shares but did sell off half my options, so profited but left money on the table. Sometimes it's good to not be greedy.