Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has been asking me to sell our stocks to take profit and then wait for it to drop to rebuy. I'm in the long camp and did not want to time the market since there is no guarantee that we can buy back at lower price.
So you can imagine her madness when we didn't sell when stock went to 960 only to see it drop to 300+ weeks later.
Yesterday, she told me to sell today. So I didn't want to sell at 860 when market opened.
Now it dropped 100 points.

On one hand, I understand her logic. On the other hand, I think it's a better strategy to hold it long term and don't just watch it daily and worry about timing it.

What your advice?

Setup a separate brokerage account for her and have her follow her own advice. If she can time the market, she should get into doing that full time.

My wife has been asking me to sell our stocks to take profit and then wait for it to drop to rebuy. I'm in the long camp and did not want to time the market since there is no guarantee that we can buy back at lower price.
So you can imagine her madness when we didn't sell when stock went to 960 only to see it drop to 300+ weeks later.
Yesterday, she told me to sell today. So I didn't want to sell at 860 when market opened.
Now it dropped 100 points.

On one hand, I understand her logic. On the other hand, I think it's a better strategy to hold it long term and don't just watch it daily and worry about timing it.

What your advice?
Do you need the cash for anything? Do you have somewhere to invest it at a higher likely return? Timing is tricky. You may be able to buy back in lower, or you can miss the boat entirely.

Personally I have X core shares that I don't mess with, a smaller chunk of core shares I will move if I have real reason to do so, and then some trading shares/options to play with.

I’m inclined to call BS on Einhorn but I don’t have the insight into the accounting details. TSLA is my largest position by a wide margin so I’m hoping someone can put my mind at ease on the accounts receivable question. Is this a concern? I imagine not but why not?
We have been hearing about this accounts receivable nonsense for a couple years now. The shorts don't understand, or pretend not to understand how Tesla treats their receivables.

Just ask yourself this. Has Einhorn been remotely right about Tesla so far? Do you think it's likely that Tesla AND their auditor PWC are committing fraud and getting away with it despite massive short scrutiny, SEC investigations etc.?

Yesterday in AH trading after the report came out, the SP was around ~$880, now its more than $100 lower.
What is this $100 drop based on ? All I see is raised PT reports and positive feedback on various media sites.
Market reaction makes no sense, not the first time mind you...

Looking at the options that are being bought and sold (lower graph) and the option currently sold (upper graph) it looks like the Max Pain is being move WAY up. The people who do this can not force people to buy options. The only way they do it is to offer the options at prices people want to buy based on the strike price and where it actually is.

SO. To move the max pain way up, whoever is doing that must convince people to buy a whole bunch of puts with (in this case) an $800 strike price. Hmm... interesting. It looks like people are loading up on PUTs at an $800 strike price.

The other thing was selling a whole bunch of Calls at $900 when things looked all charged up this morning.

While the price is dropping it also makes it easier for THEM to pick up shares to cover all the options that will be in the money at the end of Friday.

I can not tell you where they want the price to be. If you look at that chart it is all over the place. It looks like they are shooting for just under $800. It will be interesting to see what this chart says tomorrow morning.

I am expecting the stock price to turn around and start heading up before the end of the day.
Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 1.34.26 PM.png

It is hard to imagine Elon saying "who cares" about anything. Every opinion Elon has has some basis in science. This pandemic is no exception. I believe, in the final analysis, Elon will be proven right.

I don't think he will be.

Sure Elon is science based, but the problem is, the science hasn't caught up with this virus yet.

He's commenting on things absolutely that are not yet absolutely know-able.

And calling people "facists" who are just trying to put us in a spot where it really doesn't go totally out of control.

I mean, sorry, but his black and white position is a "nuts" point of view to have right now. It is one that is not based on science. Because the science is not black and white.

Because no one really knows anything yet so static absolute positions are all stupid.

And Elon is firmly in stupid land right now.

And the stock is reacting to it.

He needs to stop shouting at clouds and focus on navigating TSLA through the reality of what is going on.

TSLA is in a way better position that most, so get to capitalizing on that.

Last edited:
Yesterday in AH trading after the report came out, the SP was around ~$880, now its more than $100 lower.
What is this $100 drop based on ? All I see is raised PT reports and positive feedback on various media sites.
Market reaction makes no sense, not the first time mind you...
For me market makes no sense from the start of the corona crisis. Record unemployment rate in the history, now more than 30 million americans lost their Jobs, EU suffers the biggest BDP drop since 1995, China may be in the recession for the first time in the last 3 decades, and stock market acts like its no tomorrow and is rising. Like there is no connection with the reality.
I reentered my TSLA position in early april. I am intended to hold and adding if opportunity present itself. But next few months will be ugly.

It's absurd, I took my wife daughter and I to a local beach this past weekend. There was easily 40+ feet of distance around us at all times. They are one of the EASIEST place to keep social distancing.

I think we were right to force people to Social Distance IN THE BEGINNING. Now everyone is wearing masks and is naturally doing it. Everyone is in the habit and habits don't break that easily. If they keep doing it much longer there will be a depression instead of a recession. I have a house mate that is a waitress. She now drinks and smokes more than before. Nobody takes this into account. I look at her and she seems to have aged a couple of years in the last 3 months. We need to take all this into account.
They had Gordon Johnson on CNBC today. This guy has been bearish on Tesla since it's was $100 lol. For like 5 years they have this same clown come on every time the stock goes up.

For me market makes no sense from the start of the corona crisis. Record unemployment rate in the history, now more than 30 million americans lost their Jobs, EU suffers the biggest BDP drop since 1995, China may be in the recession for the first time in the last 3 decades, and stock market acts like its no tomorrow and is rising. Like there is no connection with the reality.
I reentered my TSLA position in early april. I am intended to hold and adding if opportunity present itself. But next few months will be ugly.

Today they have all the bears on tv and the stock drops. Tomorrow they will bring out the bulls. I love this game. It's very profitable also.