Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we are sharing good news on Tesla sales data... This is from Europe, month of March, all cars sold in the 27 EU states.
2020_05_04_top_20_villanyauto_q1_2020_07b.jpg

Interesting that the overall number of Tesla Model 3s sold is higher than the number of electric Tesla Model 3s sold. Is... is there a powertrain option that I'm unaware of?

Hertz is going Bankrupt. At some point Tesla should consider going into the rental industry, and they will need service/cleaning for their robotaxi fleet. Not saying that Hertz would be an ideal acquisition but the other car rental companies are also struggling and with one main player out there is more cake for the rest of the players.

Hertz Prepares to File Bankruptcy If Monday Deadline Is Missed
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I could see Tesla buying a car rental service, replacing their vehicles with 3/Y and having chargers at every parking spot. I for one would always rent a Tesla if they were available at the airport... When? I guess 2022 would be a good starting point, so maybe buy the company 1 year earlier and prepare the transition.
Not that long ago it was Hertz owned by Ford, Avis by GM with National/Budget and Alamo in the GM camp. The Alamo was the only 'independent' although they hired a President from GM and took GM castoffs. At one time Alamo took the entire production of the Buick Reatta. The US automakers bought the car rental firms in order to manufacture used cars and tended to turn them over ever few months. There are exactly zero chances that Tesla would ever buy into this business. They do place cars at Sixt and Hertz, among others, but there is no promotion involved. The only direct cooperation Tesla has had with a car rental firm si with Enterprise, that supplies service loaners in some locations and circumstances. Enterprise used to often have Tesla loaners, but that is uncommon today. Post Covid-19 it might happen again, probably just for S and X.

Not much information on the Tesla/FCA pool, but no news is good news I guess.

From the FCA earnings call today:
"
We will take our next question from [Philip choice from Jefferies . Please go ahead.

Unidentified Participant:
Yes, good morning. Good afternoon and thank you. I've got three if I can. The first one is how much payment to Tesla have you accrued so far this year and how much of that is cash out?

Unidentified Speaker:
This, I'm going to defer to Richard because not sure we have been very explicit in terms of payments to Tesla and if we haven't been explicit. We're not going to be explicit on this call. So that's my 2.5000 mile cautionary note to RP is right different. What I would tell areas that we have partnered with Tesla for a long time. It has been a very clear part of strategy there and there are an important partner for us and that will continue going forward with the commitments that we've made.
Richard, you want to add anything to what I said?

Richard Palmer, Chief Financial Officer and Business Development:
No Mark, I don't think it's appropriate to give details on that frankly.
"

Sounds like they're embarrassed and analysts/investors wouldn't take it well if they knew how much they are having to fork over to Tesla.

"
We will take our next question from [Philip choice from Jefferies . Please go ahead.

Yes, good morning. Good afternoon and thank you. I've got three if I can. The first one is how much payment to Tesla have you accrued so far this year and how much of that is cash out?

Unidentified Speaker:
This, I'm going to defer to Richard because not sure we have been very explicit in terms of payments to Tesla and if we haven't been explicit. We're not going to be explicit on this call. So that's my 2.5000 mile cautionary note to RP is right different. What I would tell areas that we have partnered with Tesla for a long time. It has been a very clear part of strategy there and there are an important partner for us and that will continue going forward with the commitments that we've made.

"
Now THAT is some impressive gibberish!

I can't help thinking about the post from the new contributor that had gone into futures for the first time and was looking at a margin call on Monday. I hoping that the run-up yesterday removed the call and that he was able the de-leverage his position. Does anyone know what happened?

I suspect his intent was to come in here, knowing that people visit investment forums before buying the stock for the first time, and make Tesla investors look like low-information, reckless gamblers that were losing money and generally miserable.

If so, it didn't work.

Interesting that the overall number of Tesla Model 3s sold is higher than the number of electric Tesla Model 3s sold. Is... is there a powertrain option that I'm unaware of?
The Electric list is only for 21 countries who presumably break out the category. There is some fine print in the bottom right corner.

BTW the source is Jato Dynamics - I think I forgot to mention that.

"

Unidentified Speaker:

"

If you want FCA dividend, buy TSLA stock :)

Unidentified Speaker:

"

Wow! It sounded like what you might hear if a reporter asked a well-known billionaire how much he had to pay to maintain his mistress. ;)

I guess you haven't heard of the base model Model 3 that comes with a V-8 for those that don't need the performance of the electric motor. ;)

OT
I've seen this asked at least a couple of times without answers I could find. Does anyone know if @Fact Checking has any other online presence? Karen can be followed on Twitter, but I cannot imagine such a prolific writer as FC without an outlet of some sort.
I don't know if u/__TSLA__ on reddit is FactChecking, but the quality of the posts is similar

From the Economist today:

"Chancellor Angela Merkel and her senior cabinet ministers, including Olaf Scholz, the finance minister, will confer virtually today with the heads of Germany’s three largest carmakers about how to help the country’s most important industry. Led by Herbert Diess, the boss of Volkswagen, along with his counterparts at Daimler and BMW, the firms are lobbying the government to revive demand with a buyers’ premium of several thousand euros for both petrol-powered and electric vehicles. Mrs Merkel and Mr Scholz are unenthusiastic, especially as VW is still planning to pay shareholders a dividend. Opponents of the carmakers’ idea argue that it merely persuades customers to bring forward car purchases, meaning sales will decline next year. Moreover, it will help the better-off disproportionately, while subsidising a technology in decline. Better to raise subsidies for buyers of electric cars, which would incentivise makers to push on with their electrification—and get more carbon-neutral cars onto Germany’s streets."

Future case studies on the decline of the German auto industry will be fascinating. Merkel has for years tried to get BMW, Mercedes, and VW shift to EVs. It will be hard to find an argument for why they did not see the coming disruption sooner and take the necessary steps in earnest.

Is it really disruption when everyone around you sees what is happening and is trying to get you to shift directions or is it simply arrogance mixed with cowardice toward making tough decisions?
It depends what the real goal is. Pushing EV subsidies doesn't help out the incumbents, because none of them have credible offerings at this instant. What they want is a broad incentive so they can stay alive.

Reactions: gerebgraus