Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X means negation or "no"
Aah
A-12 was a designation for the vonBraun launcher (resemblance to Starship)

Noah Werner Musk
During a bit of a jog this morning I decided that those that interpreted A-12 as "Avenger” were probably right, but perhaps too literal. My new vote for the Musklet:

Noah Stark Musk

x1000!

Earlier today, in response to this adorable photo, I tweeted to my vast following of 79 people AND to Andrea James, "Elon welcomes his sixth child, this beautiful and fragile beauty, into this beautiful, fragile and besieged planet. If you thought he was motivated before, you've seen nothing yet!!!"

I’m going to caption that photo and hopefully by doing so the people who think he and his company are no longer worth investing in will put their heads back on straight.

Incentive

I guess you haven't heard of the base model Model 3 that comes with a V-8 for those that don't need the performance of the electric motor. ;)
Spotted right here in Apache Junction
3A1672EF-AF0A-4411-9F89-63FA2E66200E.jpeg

Look, your posts' value is from telling facts and I obviously appreciate it. His posts' value is from telling his thinking process which I also appreciate. It does not matter if the conclusion is right or wrong. Otherwise nobody can contribute in this forum because the right opinions are only this many so eventually we are repeating the same ole again and again.

I’ll assume you just haven’t followed him long enough to get a full picture of what’s happened. Or that your memory is short and you’ve just forgotten all the times he’s been exactly wrong in his very adamant charts analysis. You’d think he’d have been right more often given the SP can only go in three directions. And shhh...we won’t talk about the time he and his money all went poof! because he was just so certain the charts said ‘to the moon’.

You’re absolutely right. There is value in knowing exactly what not to do, although I didn’t need him to demonstrate how badly gambling can turn out. I learned that lesson as a teenager.

Unless you can explain to me how selling my shares on Friday in a panic because he claimed chart says stock going down at least 50% in the following weeks to rebuying them all back on Monday for more than I’d sold them for because he claimed chart says going up 50% in the following weeks or months would have been beneficial to me, I’ll just sit over here in this corner with my dunce cap on and continue to hold my shares that have appreciated a lousy 25x by doing nothing, while he feeds his gambling addiction. I’m really okay with that kind of a loss.

There are exactly zero chances that Tesla would ever buy into this business. They do place cars at Sixt and Hertz, among others, but there is no promotion involved. The only direct cooperation Tesla has had with a car rental firm si with Enterprise, that supplies service loaners in some locations and circumstances.
I would wager it's closer to a mortal certainty than having "zero chances". Think about Hawaii. Tesla works to build out distributed and centralized solar/wind+storage on the islands and holds a sort of management consultant role at the grid level with the monopoly utility. Putting excess solar or wind supply somewhere will be a major priority soon(after storage fills obviously). The optimal way to deal with this is water desalination and charging vehicles.

Tesla along with Hawaiian Electric would operate the entire car rental and charging system in Hawaii. Vehicles could exist within the platform in any way companies(or even individuals) like. Enterprise could have a fleet, a single owner could be on an independent leasing app platform. The key is, everyone would be managed and fees collected through the charging infrastructure.

You want a car? Go on the app, pick one out nearby, get into it and drive. You'll be charged a varying amount based on amount of time you're "unplugged" and more importantly time of day(state of grid/distributed storage levels). This makes it super flexible and easy for renters, keeps the fleet balanced via financial incentive, and gives the central utility a massive dumping ground for excess solar/wind at times of low demand. Ride-share operators could function through the platform as well.

Extrapolate that out to 10 years from now......Hawaii and a few smaller isolated US markets test this out from 2023-27. We can move on to major metro areas allowing not only all the efficient benefits above, but municipal services as well. Is your city 26% impoverished with half of those in deep poverty like Philadelphia? Pretty easy to subsidize transport when you can identify vehicles at the individual level and give them free access to excess solar/wind supply when demand is low. Incentivizes efficiency and action rather than today's inaction. As the world decentralizes, cities/corporations/individuals are going to be desperate for this kind of control and certainty.

You can see how what we're verging on makes the $1T valuation projection look like peanuts.

Reading this paper, Tesla likely won't increase the rated range with this new hybrid metallic lithium anode. What you WILL get is an "Emergency Energy Reserve" of about 20%. Say an extra 50 miles in a 250 mile rge 3SR+ or 80 miles on a 400 mi rge Model S LR+.

The paper notes that the "colombic efficency" for the metallic lithuim portion is a dreadful 99.6% which means that effectively it will be consumed after 100 deep cycles. But if you limit usage in software to an "Emergency Reserve", then you've got about 100 "get me out of a bind" punch tickets in your EV.

Instead of needing to call AAA to tow your car, you just get on your 'App', and unlock from 50 to 80 extra miles of emergency range (for a *small* fee if Tesla is smart). As long as you don't routinely run your bty down past 80% these 100 shots of "reserve energy" should last a full 10 to 20 years or the life of your car.

This technolgy will END range anxiety, and provide a nice revenue stream for Tesla. WAY COOL!

Cheers!

As usual you read what you want it to say rather than what it actually says. The extra range is at the top of the battery, so you only get that range boost if you charge to 100%. I.e. it is a "start my trip" mode. There is no extra energy at the bottom of the battery. There is no "emergency buffer" available.

By capping the upper cut-off voltage of hybrid cells to operate in lithium-ion mode, the average cell voltage and delivered capacity will decrease.

Interesting that the overall number of Tesla Model 3s sold is higher than the number of electric Tesla Model 3s sold. Is... is there a powertrain option that I'm unaware of?
I'd guess that some EU states don't classify Tesla as electric. Maybe they have a coal category (sorry about that, chief).

Pickup Trucks Outsell Sedans in U.S. for the First Time Ever

Can I just say, as a humble british guy that. OMG THIS IS SO FLIPPING DUMB.
Why does everyone in the US think they are scxooter from the dukes of hazard? The vast majority of you, the vast majority of the time are NOT hauling extra heavy or dirty industrial equipment. 99% of the time you are driving to work or back or the shops or the movies, you are not in the flipping A team.

Its such a triumph of stupid pointless marketing to persuade the average american that they are not manly/patriotic unless they drive an armroed personell carrier to the shops.

And I'm not just criiticizing the US here. In the Uk we call oversized 4x4s 'chelsea tractors.*'

*Chelsea is a very wealthy and very crowded part of London with super narrow streets. The closest it gets to ever needing a tractor is when they have the chelsea flower show, yet every 2nd car parked in Chelsea is a hummer-sized 4x4.

Why does everyone in the US think they are scxooter from the dukes of hazard? The vast majority of you, the vast majority of the time are NOT hauling extra heavy or dirty industrial equipment. 99% of the time you are driving to work or back or the shops or the movies, you are not in the flipping A team.

Its such a triumph of stupid pointless marketing to persuade the average american that they are not manly/patriotic unless they drive an armroed personell carrier to the shops.

And I'm not just criiticizing the US here. In the Uk we call oversized 4x4s 'chelsea tractors.*'

*Chelsea is a very wealthy and very crowded part of London with super narrow streets. The closest it gets to ever needing a tractor is when they have the chelsea flower show, yet every 2nd car parked in Chelsea is a hummer-sized 4x4.

The article makes it look like its more about car sales declining than truck sales increases. Which seems likely to be a combination of Uber/Lyft and people not being able to afford a card in the city.

When the world is normal I live in San Francisco, but im visiting family in the midwest. I drive a model 3 but frankly while I am here I wish I had a cybertruck. Living in this part of the country its nice to just throw stuff in the back. Fertilizer, dirt, wood, etc. Having a sedan in this area of the country is far less useful.

Why does everyone in the US think they are scxooter from the dukes of hazard?
During the oil crisis of the 1970s, when pollution controls were first put on cars, they weren't very good and reduced the car's fuel economy and performance. I recall magazine articles of the time that featured a pickup truck beating a Corvette. Pickups were also cheaper than cars (remember pickups were kind of bare bones in those days). People found that they liked sitting up high where they could see the traffic--particularly during left turning, and they liked the extra room (even if they seldom used all of it). Once they got into the pickup (and SUV) habit it was hard to break. Because North American roads and infrastructure allows easy access with large vehicles, that did not become a problem the way it is in the UK and EU. Before the oil crisis, almost no one drove pickups unless they needed one for work. There wasn't really such a category as SUV.