Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The post you linked says “Standard range”. 35K is the normal price for a standard range so I don’t think it’s correct to say that it’s a 5K discount.

I missed over that point. Good catch.

However, Tesla only makes standard range Model 3's under very specific circumstances. They'd not make one for inventory. I also checked Tesla.com, for Honolulu, and didn't see any Standard ranges in inventory. Perhaps the posted meant Standard range plus to differ from LR or Performance? :eek: I'll ask to clarify.

Well, as the law exists today, I think it does. In fact, I think it would prevent Texans from buying any Tesla.
This is just incorrect. I have purchased two Teslas over the past 7+ years. From the consumer point of view, it works almost the same as in any other state: 1. You go online to order your car. 2. You pick the car up from the Service Centre (or have it delivered). 3. The inspection sticker is only good for one year. (New cars sold through a dealer get a two year sticker).

Where it differs is: 1. You have to go to the County Tax office to get your plates and pay your sales tax. 2. The car has to be paid for in full before it's shipped. (1 and 2 are the only real inconveniences.) 3. You can not use the computer at a gallery to place an order (you have to do it at home). 4. Your sales advisor is out of state. (So is Amazon.) 5. Phone calls have to go through California and be redirected.

For Tesla, the issues are: 1. No walk-in test drives. (You have to make an appointment.) 2. Tesla employees cannot talk price or financing. (The price part is silly because of the window sticker on the car.) 3. Phone calls have to go through California and be redirected. 4. Many people think you have to go out of state to take delivery of the car.

Short interest data out, in which Ihor's estimate continues to be wildly inaccurate:

upload_2020-5-12_8-13-44.png

I believe one of the items on their list is reintroducing the $2000 annual EV tax to pay for "road damage". Even though ICE drivers only pay $73 average in gas taxes. We barely avoided that during the previous legislative session.

It is always nice to have some board members from your headquarters state. I would think if Tesla is serious about relocating, then there may be some changes on the board. That might be an early confirmation.

Not sure it matters where HQ is. Tesla is a Delaware Corporation by registration. This silliness will all dissolve if Tesla offers to create 10s of thousands of good paying (taxable) jobs in Texas.
Not as long as the legislators get their campaign contributions from the dealer association and big oil. The problem is the thousands of jobs will only be in a few districts that already vote "the wrong way".

Don't forget that Tesla was upgrading the Fremont lines during the shutdown, so production rate should now be somewhat higher. Considering inventory was 30k vehicles and China deliveries will be much higher t's starting to look like Q2 deliveries will be at least similar to Q1 deliveries.

Add to this dramatically decreased labor cost and dramatically increased energy product revenues, and assuming FCA credits will be similar - it's looking very likely we see Q2 profit and S&P inclusion.

FWIW, here the grocery stores and Costco are enforcing wearing masks (and I think wearing them properly because all I see is people with masks covering nose and mouth). Perhaps people are just more concerned here (even though the stereotype suggests otherwise).
I think it’s in overall appreciation of the grocery store workers (TBH it’s the one place I’m really conscientious about wearing a mask). Those are some of the front line heroes in my mind - probably in one of the most contagious environments.

Lots of coverage, mostly positive, on CNBC this morning with both Joe Kernen and Rick Santelli saying they are thinking about buying a Tesla. Proof that the recent events are helping the brand. Joe also said there’s a few others in his circle who are looking to do the same. Free advertising.
Good to know!

I'll just add that Elon is gaining followers at a very fast rate - 34.017.000 12 hours ago, and now he's at 34.063.000. There may be a lot of angry comments, but twitter and reddit are very much a bubble, if a big bubble.

This is just incorrect. I have purchased two Teslas over the past 7+ years. From the consumer point of view, it works almost the same as in any other state: 1. You go online to order your car. 2. You pick the car up from the Service Centre (or have it delivered). 3. The inspection sticker is only good for one year. (New cars sold through a dealer get a two year sticker).

Where it differs is: 1. You have to go to the County Tax office to get your plates and pay your sales tax. 2. The car has to be paid for in full before it's shipped. (1 and 2 are the only real inconveniences.) 3. You can not use the computer at a gallery to place an order (you have to do it at home). 4. Your sales advisor is out of state. (So is Amazon.) 5. Phone calls have to go through California and be redirected.

For Tesla, the issues are: 1. No walk-in test drives. (You have to make an appointment.) 2. Tesla employees cannot talk price or financing. (The price part is silly because of the window sticker on the car.) 3. Phone calls have to go through California and be redirected. 4. Many people think you have to go out of state to take delivery of the car.
The context was if Tesla becomes a Texas company. Then online sales would become In-state sales.

Don't forget that Tesla was upgrading the Fremont lines during the shutdown, so production rate should now be somewhat higher. Considering inventory was 30k vehicles and China deliveries will be much higher t's starting to look like Q2 deliveries will be at least similar to Q1 deliveries.

Add to this dramatically decreased labor cost and dramatically increased energy product revenues, and assuming FCA credits will be similar - it's looking very likely we see Q2 profit and S&P inclusion.
Do you have a source on the upgraded production lines? I thought "Minimum Basic Operations" included only necessary maintenance, not line upgrades. Would be awesome though if true.

Reactions: skybluecgreen