Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And did I read correctly, that grandma's favourite CNBC anchor, Joe The Hair Kernen (yes this is actually one of his nicknames, though I prefer "wiggy") is thinking of buying a Tesla? Hell hath not just frozen over, but a fragment of ice-nine escaped from that lab in Wuhan (that also produced the C19 virus, don't you know) and has rendered the whole planet to a ball of ice...
Funny. I'll believe it if/when he actually buys a Tesla. He's been a staunch Porsche lover (I think he owns one, you know, a REAL car, in his words) and goes out of his way to dump on Tesla and Elon as much as he can.

Look who entered the mud pit lol...problem is alameda might do the exact opposite just to spite the orange one. :confused:

View attachment 541028
And it was triggered by a comment a few minutes earlier by Jim Cramer, something to the effect that all it would take is a tweet by trump RE opening the factory. :eek:

I'd rather trump did not get directly involved with tesla. the USA is a country bitterly divided, especially in election year. Making owning/buying a tesla, or its stock a tribal issue is never a good idea. A love of great cars, and protecting the environment should never become a left/right issue.
I hope elon realises this.

this is the beauty of what Elon is doing. He’s appealing to everyone who believes in the constitution, which I hope is for everyone that lives in the US.

he’s walking a tightrope right down the center and both sides are reaching out their hands helping stabilize his walk. It’s beautiful to watch. A genius move.

As Michael Jordan once quipped, republicans buy sneakers too.

A love of great cars, and protecting the environment should never become a left/right issue.
However it sort of was from the beginning. Tesla was the vehicle of liberal greenies in the beginning and drew the ire of conservative fossilists. Now that seems to be flipping as Elon is losing more and more support from the left while gaining from the right. Hopefully the long term effect is an overall gain.

Reactions: PeterJA
he’s walking a tightrope right down the center and both sides are reaching out their hands helping stabilize his walk. It’s beautiful to watch. A genius move.
That's not really what's happening though as I pointed out in my previous post. He's been charging pretty hard to the right and losing support on the left recently.

However it sort of was from the beginning. Tesla was the vehicle of liberal greenies in the beginning and drew the ire of conservative fossilists. Now that seems to be flipping as Elon is losing more and more support from the left while gaining from the right. Hopefully the long term effect is an overall gain.
I suppose this was probably inevitable as Tesla got large enough to start throwing its weight around politically. Combine that with entrenched interests that have a lot to gain by painting Tesla as especially bad re: labor relations and a rightward drift (or, as you accurately point out, more of a charge) was going to happen.

this is the beauty of what Elon is doing. He’s appealing to everyone who believes in the constitution, which I hope is for everyone that lives in the US.

As Michael Jordan once quipped, republicans buy sneakers too.

The Last Dance is a great documentary. In episode 7 & 8, there are lots of similarities between Elon and Jordan and their respective controversies. The media, the politics, the distractors/supporters. In the end, the only thing mattered is the result. MJ's pure dominance on the court and Tesla's dominance on sustainable energy is the only thing that counts.

I'd rather trump did not get directly involved with tesla. the USA is a country bitterly divided, especially in election year. Making owning/buying a tesla, or its stock a tribal issue is never a good idea. A love of great cars, and protecting the environment should never become a left/right issue.
I hope elon realises this.

That horse has left the barn.

I suppose this was probably inevitable as Tesla got large enough to start throwing its weight around politically. Combine that with entrenched interests that have a lot to gain by painting Tesla as especially bad re: labor relations and a rightward drift (or, as you accurately point out, more of a charge) was going to happen.

Left or right is just superficial label.
As we recently witnessed the hypocrisy recently.

More importantly it is Tesla's long term survival -- there is no permanent allies, only permanent interest.

So when I surmised a few days ago as to what Tesla's production roadmap would look like for the rest of Q2, I pointed out that it would likely be most worthwhile to produce exclusively for North America to maximize Q2 profit and minimize logistical and other issues that could come up during the quarter.

One critical part that I didn't think about, however, is that if Tesla delivers no cars to Europe, they get no FCA money. So it does make a lot of sense that they will produce European spec cars for a few weeks so they can get some sort of FCA credit payment, then shift to North American cars. I would think that Model Y would start right off the bat doing North American production though. It's not clear to me why that wouldn't start right away, unless there's either a supplier shortage, or they can't produce Euro-spec 3s and NA-spec Ys at the same time for some reason.

I'm also not sure it's confirmed that Y is not being produced right now--wonder if any trucks are picking Ys up off the Fremont lot?

Not sure I want to watch the show this week. Will check back in on Friday. Sold way out of money covered calls. If Tesla closes over 1000, I'll take the win.
If you are tempted to see covered calls and don't want to cash out, make sure you have a good feel for TSLA volatility. A 10% daily jump is not unusual and even a 20% weekly gain is no unusual. Adding less than 1% on weekly covered calls is not a big percent win, but it can help you add a few shares while the stock is not making big moves. I avoid earnings and will avoid battery week, even though its likely the "Street" will not understand the significance.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller

Also, as Tesla scales it needs to increase it's TAM. The historical situation has been that 10% of the country loves Tesla (if that), and 90% are either indifferent or hostile. This is fine, and probably advantageous for a small business that needs a small number of high conviction customers.
But if you want to sell millions of cars, you don't need 10% of the potential market to love you, you need 80% of the market to find you tolerable, ideally slightly more so than the competition.
From this perspective, I think it's inevitable and essential that Tesla won't be percieved as a "liberal, greenie" brand, which would of course lead to the brand identity shifting somewhat to the right over time.