Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left or right is just superficial label.
As we recently witnessed the hypocrisy recently.

More importantly it is Tesla's long term survival -- there is no permanent allies, only permanent interest.
That's my point. Their permanent interest is served by a shift in political alliances.

Sounds like we respectfully disagree (at least to some extent) about the difference between left and right being merely superficial.

That's not really what's happening though as I pointed out in my previous post. He's been charging pretty hard to the right and losing support on the left recently.

That’s the problem with the far left though. They are very easily offended and will hold a grudge for life. It’s possible that Elon has lost some people like this, but I doubt it means much in the long run.

Edit: I’m a lefty in Canada, so much more liberal than the average American. That’s why I say far left.

Last edited:
Another few thoughts:

1. The events of the last month have made me more of a political centrist than ever before, although I have always been a registered independent and remember writing a paper about the ills of political labels and the party system while in junior high school...

2. If Tesla succeeds at continuing production without any serious COVID breakouts, then this may prove to be a shining example--a case study--that the quarantine restrictions went too far and were not properly targeted with an effective strategy, and Musk could come out looking like an oracle. If there turn out to be serious health impacts, it will backfire. While there may be a few cases here and there, I'm betting the former is more likely.

More o' this going on today.
fence.jpg

As for the other OEMs and the looming competition that never comes, I'll admit, I have trouble accepting the argument that investors just now recognize Tesla's multi-year lead and that's what is supporting the stock. It's been glaringly obvious for years to even the most casual observer that that is the case. Within the last six months, all this smart money has suddenly become convinced? In other words, I'm not arguing the market understood Tesla then, quite the opposite.
Tks

Glaringly obvious to us on this message board, but not to the general investing public.

Also, remember Elon’s comment that the Model 3 ramp was a near extinction event for Tesla? If you take Elon at his word, the market was being very rational, pricing in a possible bankruptcy.

Late last year we had a bunch of great catalysts line up all at once. Cybertruck started it. At first it was panned, but less than a month later, the huge number of reservations started pouring in (or at least word got out about it). Then Giga Shanghai came online in a big way. Then it became obvious to others that the competition wasn’t going to be a problem for Tesla. Model Y was ahead of schedule. Remember that Model Y is expected to be bigger than Model 3.

So, I would argue that the market has been fairly realistic/accurate this entire time.

At first I thought he’d do the right and smart thing and leave, but nope.

That is the meaning of "dogged" determination. As a male I relate to dogs, having many fatal attractions to the opposite sex over decades, happily married at long last to a woman who calls me an "extinguished professor" in more meanings than one.

Lots of coverage, mostly positive, on CNBC this morning with both Joe Kernen and Rick Santelli saying they are thinking about buying a Tesla. Proof that the recent events are helping the brand. Joe also said there’s a few others in his circle who are looking to do the same. Free advertising.

So you're telling me we've picked up the MyPillow crowd?

I wasn't going to bother posting about options today because it seemed pretty obvious but this is interesting. PUTs are not selling. CALLs are. Is this a gamble by THEM that the SP will come down?
Or is this the buyers realizing there is no point in buying PUTs at these prices?

View attachment 541033

interesting.
overall, do we think the nasdaq will selloff now that the earnings season is dying down. i feel it will, to what extent, not sure. if so, tsla will over-react, as it is usually more elastic than most

or does it mean buying calls in anticipation of batt day combined with full on production at fremont imminent, and CyberTruck pulled forward

Last edited:
The supporters on the left that he is losing are not being reasonable or objective. I say good riddance. (And I lean left).

Disagree. No matter how stupid you think somebody may be, that's not a reason to be happy when they won't buy your product anymore. Tesla is in the business of moving product, not cultivating virtuous supporters at the cost of sales.

The supporters on the left that he is losing are not being reasonable or objective. I say good riddance. (And I lean left).
While some do fit that description many simply weren't given the correct information to make an informed decision, and I blame Elon for some of that. His recent rhetoric has not been conducive to understanding and rational thought. It could have and should have been handled much better than it was.

I'd rather trump did not get directly involved with tesla. the USA is a country bitterly divided, especially in election year. Making owning/buying a tesla, or its stock a tribal issue is never a good idea. A love of great cars, and protecting the environment should never become a left/right issue.
I hope elon realises this.

I'm pretty certain Overlord Musk hates Trump. His brother recently admitted to this on twitter, and they're fairly close in temperament and beliefs. Overlord Musk also was the first CEO to depart the board of advisory CEOs back in 2017, before Trump was even impeached and was still relatively new into his term.

Now, I do think Overlord's too business savvy to admit this in public. He knows it'd cause Trump to emotionally retaliate, and that would hurt his businesses, which SpaceX deals with the US government frequently, and Tesla is recently in battle with the Left leaning California.

Still, I hope he just... lets it pass. Makes my skin crawl, though.

CNBC warning, but always worth listening to Chamath:

text: Chamath Palihapitiya defends Elon Musk's decision to open Tesla production in defiance of local authorities

video: Chamath Palihapitiya on Elon Musk's fight with Alameda County over social distancing rules

And did I read correctly, that grandma's favourite CNBC anchor, Joe The Hair Kernen (yes this is actually one of his nicknames, though I prefer "wiggy") is thinking of buying a Tesla? Hell hath not just frozen over, but a fragment of ice-nine escaped from that lab in Wuhan (that also produced the C19 virus, don't you know) and has rendered the whole planet to a ball of ice...

CNBC on Youtube | "Cramer on Elon Musk's fight with California: It's time to open up that factory" (30 min ago)

Also, watch this issue: (they of course will try to exclude Tesla) "Michigan US representatives on bipartisan push for auto industry rescue amid crisis"

And as above, "Chamath Palihapitiya on Elon Musk's fight with Alameda County over social distancing rules"

"'We meet again, at the turn of the tide. A great storm is coming, but the tide has turned.'"

— J.R.R. Tolkien​

While some do fit that description many simply weren't given the correct information to make an informed decision, and I blame Elon for some of that. His recent rhetoric has not been conducive to understanding and rational thought. It could have and should have been handled much better than it was.

It doesn’t take that much effort to find out what the actual situation is.

Reactions: ccook and oldTAVguy
Disagree. No matter how stupid you think somebody may be, that's not a reason to be happy when they won't buy your product anymore. Tesla is in the business of moving product, not cultivating virtuous supporters at the cost of sales.

I am a liberal and live in a liberal bubble. Most of my circle think Elon is a jerk, and have for years. Part of that comes from him being a rich white male capitalist who trashes the media. Part of it comes from them digesting years of liberal media contempt for all things Musk and Tesla.

But most of them either own a Tesla car or want one.

They also think that Bezos and Zuckerberg are jerks, but they use Amazon, Facebook or Instagram every day.