Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of self-selection going on in the choice of which thread to spend time on. Perhaps the worried mostly flock to the corona thread, and the optimists/deluded/uncertain are here because they can only take so much of the political suppression of medical best practices. I find myself slightly more optimistic recently (partly shutdown fatigue and partly data driven), but definitely in the camp of people who have long-term concerns and doubtful of a Y-shaped recovery.

From my POV, thread self selection is a good thing.

I self selected out of the corona virus thread due to what looked to me like pages of angels dancing on the head of a pin .. discussions. Way too many posts that didn't leave me feeling smarter, so I left. And I'm glad that thread exists as it keeps that discussion out of this thread.

Which I also skip over huge chunks of (this thread).

There are several more focused threads that aren't pinned that I read every post in, because I'm finding high quality posts that I frequently learn something from.

I hope this thread stays relatively unmoderated. We're clearly not going to pull most people out of it, so this becomes a great place (my POV) to capture a lot of content, while enabling people that want to, to get there information elsewhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
CNBC - today:

Ha ha! NBC screw-up. The video is marked "private" now. But I watched it before it was marked as such. I already knew this from a podcast where Jay Leno was interviewed, but they drive the Cybertruck through one of the Boring Company's tunnels, with only 1/4" space on either side. (not sure if I believe that part)

It's a testament to how much room is in that truck... look above Jay Leno's head. He is 6ft. tall...

Reactions: LN1_Casey
And the community has had 6+ months to understand the implications of an overwhelmed health care system. Ignoring the recommendations of another shutdown might result in failure of hospitals as seen in Brazil.
I think we understood that not even in NYC were hospitals overwhelmed (although that was not pretty.) The idea of a second wave being worse when a substantial part of the population that is susceptible has already been infected and another part will be intensely social distancing is not simply insane it is much worse.

Reactions: JusRelax
Rentals is another opportunity for Tesla. Hiring a Cybertruck in Vegas would be popular.

Unlikely that Elon will bother of course because Tesla Network will be an adequate replacement.
I do not quite understand why Tesla has not started a Turo type business already. It would be an advertisement for the car and it would not merely be free it would be very profitable.

Isn't the wiring harness one of the things Tesla really tried to simplify when producing the 3 and Y? I wonder what the significance of this may be for Tesla's production.

It will be interesting to watch how Tesla’s vertical integration unfolds in the current economy. Suppliers will certainly impact all companies, some more than others. I hope that it leverages Tesla’s obvious advantages.

Reactions: saniflash
That was referring to redesigning Model 3 to have Model Y techs, casting, heat pump etc.
I was talking about adapting existing Model 3 production capacity to also make Model Y, not sure whether they would have to redesign model 3 to achieve that.
Ah, I lumped that into changing the 3 to use the Y rear casting. Otherwise, I don't see how they would have the room nor sufficient commonality in body assembly to make it worth while. Clamp points, datum locations, weld points are different between the two.

• Informative
Reactions: printf42
Now is not a good time for that kind of business. Maybe after there is an effective treatment and a vaccine.
Fear mongering is good for click bait, but we should follow science. It is very easy disinfect surfaces but the danger of infection through surfaces is not high. The specific fearmongering lie used (based on minimal science.) virus can survice in vivo at various surfaces for some period of time. The chance of getting exposed to some virus by touvhinh various surfaces that were in contact with infected people are substantial. To get a viral dosage large enough to overwhelm our immune system is close to 0. And those of us who are able to drive tend not to ahve high risk to get seriously sick to start with. (Disclosure: My family is strongly divided whether I should be allowed to drive.) In short indeed there is a serious pandemic that is possibly slightly more dangerous than the flu, and it is very dangerous to people with minimal immunity e.g for metabolic diseases. The hysteria artificially created for click bait and political purposes is worse. In the USA Trump sabotaged preparation for virus outbread to save money and then downplayed the significance because he was scared for his hotel business and the damage to the economy. in response the anti Trump crowd and the click bait hungry media + infectiouis disiease politician who have attempted to grab their chance to get proper recognition and funding to prevent real dangerous future epidemic created abat *sugar* crazy hyseria destroying the economy and more importantly the health of many people (not because of the virus, but because of the hysteria. Unintented, unfortunate consequence might be reelection of Trump of course, because people will realize that they were mislead.

Elon Musk on Twitter
"Reviewed design with Franz last night. Even 3% smaller is too small. Will be pretty much this size. We’ll probably do a smaller, tight world truck at some point."

-Elon re CyberTruck size

Better upsize our garages...

I am vertically challenged — 6 feet 6 inches tall — this really works for me. They just don’t build cars that fit me. I couldn’t be happier. I’m starting on the garage now!

Elon Musk on Twitter
"Reviewed design with Franz last night. Even 3% smaller is too small. Will be pretty much this size. We’ll probably do a smaller, tight world truck at some point."

-Elon re CyberTruck size

Better upsize our garages...
I never understood the size issue anyway. No one who purchases an F150, which is what the Cybertruck is competing against, complains about the size or that it won't fit in a garage. I believe a few complain that it's too small, so they get an F250.

I never understood the size issue anyway. No one who purchases an F150, which is what the Cybertruck is competing against, complains about the size or that it won't fit in a garage. I believe a few complain that it's too small, so they get an F250.
We Europeans live in the tight world, driving a 2.2m wide truck in southern Europe will be a lot of dents... in the other cars...

Last edited:
We Europeans live in the tight world, driving a 2.2m wide truck in southern Europe will be a lot of dents... in the other cars...

Yes, but this Cybertruck is largely designed to take over the American F-#50 market, which is not size constrained in a majority of our country. Truck buyers tend to prefer larger over smaller, as they buy for the feeling the large vehicle gives them than any real need for a large vehicle. It's why the Asian-market trucks haven't ever really kicked off here like the Asian-compact cars did.

Eventually, there will be a smaller car to fit the smaller streets better, but some things are just going to fit poorly because it's not meant to go together.