Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I do not quite understand why Tesla has not started a Turo type business already. It would be an advertisement for the car and it would not merely be free it would be very profitable. "

I rent my model 3 on Turo and so far 3 renters have purchased one. Ken
A Tesla is very different from a conventional ICE cars. Many people prefer an extended test drive before committing to buy one. And they are happy to pay for it especially when they rent a car anyway. Ken, have you had any problems renters abusing the car?

I am vertically challenged — 6 feet 6 inches tall — this really works for me. They just don’t build cars that fit me. I couldn’t be happier. I’m starting on the garage now!
I am also vertically challenged-in the other direction - 5’1” tall. I would have been OK with 5% smaller truck. Also, I am not really the ‘roughing it outdoors’ type. But I really really really want the cybertruck!! So what if I only drive it on the 405 and 5.

looks like we will need to clean out our garage to make room for the large size

I am also vertically challenged-in the other direction - 5’1” tall. I would have been OK with 5% smaller truck. Also, I am not really the ‘roughing it outdoors’ type. But I really really really want the cybertruck!! So what if I only drive it on the 405 and 5.

looks like we will need to clean out our garage to make room for the large size

During the Cybertruck reveal I’m going nuts, my wife says you’re NOT parking that in my driveway — I ordered as soon I could. So, I’ll make sure it fits in the garage, but I’m parking on the driveway.

I am vertically challenged — 6 feet 6 inches tall — this really works for me. They just don’t build cars that fit me. I couldn’t be happier. I’m starting on the garage now!

I'm 6'-04" but when I heard about the downsizing, I was not worried about it from an ergonomics perspective (because the original design was mammoth inside). However, if it's going to displace the American pick-up truck, it shouldn't be the size of a Ford Ranger, it should be the size of a full-sized pickup! So this most recent news makes me glad.

Yeah, if your garage is too small for it then your garage is too small for a regular pick-up! You can park it outside or get a bigger garage.

I never understood the size issue anyway. No one who purchases an F150, which is what the Cybertruck is competing against, complains about the size or that it won't fit in a garage. I believe a few complain that it's too small, so they get an F250.

According to this data, ~70k midsize premium sedans were sold each quarter in the US before the introduction of the Model 3.

According to this data, currently ~95k midsize premium sedans are sold each quarter in the US, ~45k of which are Model 3s.

So although the Model 3 is to a certain degree competing with what are commonly thought of as its competitors, I'd argue that it has done much more than that and almost created its own market segment.

I think it's highly likely that the Cybertruck will do something similar. It'll undoubtedly compete with the likes of the F-150 and steal customers away from those vehicles, but I think its appeal goes far beyond that and will attract many customers that have never owned a truck before.

Therefore, there is certainly merrit to make a slightly smaller Cybertruck that fits in garages, especially for non-US markets. Perhaps Tesla will consider downsizing it when it is ready to establish overseas production for the Cybertruck.

Jpr007 has a lot of tweets on lithium mining and prices, including this tweet which references the article below.
JPR007 on Twitter

Lithium-Ion Batteries - Price Trend and Cost Structure

The article includes this quote:-

Cost Drivers: The prices of Lithium, Cobalt & Nickel have less than ~ 16 percent cost contribution towards the average battery prices. Hence, even if the prices of Lithium, Cobalt & Nickel doubles the impact on cost will be less than ~ 16 percent. The prices of separator, electrolytes and assembly modules contributes around ~50 percent of average prices

There there is this earlier tweet from jpr007 showing the composition of a battery pack by weight:-
JPR007 on Twitter

Key takeaway - There is a lot of scope to reduce the cost of battery packs by working on the packaging, heating and cooling and by having larger cells with less resistance.

A Tesla is very different from a conventional ICE cars. Many people prefer an extended test drive before committing to buy one. And they are happy to pay for it especially when they rent a car anyway. Ken, have you had any problems renters abusing the car?

Never any problems. I don't do it for the money, but it does pay my car loan. One thing I learned is that having a list of Tesla owners has got to be worth a fortune. I typically spend at least an hour chatting with very smart and interesting people. Ken

Good odds of Fox airing the SpaceX launch live now? Trump to travel to Florida to attend SpaceX launch

"
President Trump will travel to Florida for the historic SpaceX launch next week, the White House said Friday.

Vice President Pence said this week he thinks the launch will serve as a sign of hope for Americans in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

"When that rocket goes off next week, it'll remind the American people that even in the midst of the most challenging times, America still moves forward," the vice president told Fox News during an interview at NASA's headquarters in Washington, D.C.
"

What if battery day is being delayed because trump wanted to announce something Tesla related at this. Not calling it highly likely but Trump started talking about Tesla months ago like there was a government deal, and I keep expecting some huge announcement on that front.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger