Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why on earth would SpaceX want to go public? I can see them branching off Starlink, but not SpaceX proper.

I don't know why they would. Why do companies in general choose to go public?

But I would love to get some shares.

With the risky business of space travel SpaceX would probably be even more volatile than TSLA so perhaps the shorts brigade would get another favourite and let TSLA become more stable?

Would owning SpaceX shares give my family the ability to jump the queue when planning a holiday on Mars?

Jonas made an appearance on CNBC this morning saying that SpaceX could go public within a couple of years:

This idiot. Literally anything he says might as well be stamped and the least likely outcome.

My favorite was him pitting a $10-500 SP range on TSLA.....and getting it wrong. How do these people even keep their jobs?

Pretty sure he meant Starlink, not Spacex.

I know I put a sale order in at $954 a month back for my planned sell strategy for my model S, so it'll probably brush by 940 and float back down, haha.

It might not be a bad idea to put in a covered call at $950. You can probably get an added $20 per hundred shares and if it doesn't hit, you got a free $2000. I do think we may be due for a big breakout, but if you have an exit point you won't regret...

Cheers to the longs today. Nice rally.

Does anyone know if ValueAnalyst on twitter sold his TSLA? I haven't seen any shoe-eating posts since he came back from his temporary ban.

upload_2020-6-1_9-55-16.png

Why on earth would SpaceX want to go public? I can see them branching off Starlink, but not SpaceX proper.
This one is pretty well known, Elon's stated his position on this years ago. He said SpaceX will NOT go public before they are doing routine flights between Earth and Mars (it's too risky during development, and he doesn't want to lose other people's money).

The reason they WILL go public is if they need capital to finance the City on Mars. Elon said that is his only reason for accumulating personal wealth, and he could well be the world's first trillionaire by the time the last tranch of his Tesla CEO compensation package vests.

That's only 1 trillion, which won't pay for a city on Mars (think 'Order of Magnitude' more costly). Hence, that was the motivation for the original position of taking SpaceX public.

However, I don't think he'll need too. 2 words: Asteroid Mining.

NASA Will Reach Unique Metal Asteroid Worth $10,000 Quadrillion Four Years Early

Think of Starship with a Boring Company TBM in its belly as a cosmic piggy bank, waiting to boldly go into its autonomous asteroid mining future.

Cheers!

This idiot. Literally anything he says might as well be stamped and the least likely outcome.

My favorite was him pitting a $10-500 SP range on TSLA.....and getting it wrong. How do these people even keep their jobs?

But really how do WE get a job where I get to be so badly wrong and still keep my job. I can barely tell people the time on the clock without management having to verify with a consultant.

WOW! Not a good look.

Video of Tesla Model 3 crashing into a truck on Autopilot goes viral - Electrek

Imagine someone had passengers in that "robo taxi", imagine who they are going to sue.

I can't even remember the last time there was an Autopilot crash report in the media, despite there being an exponential increase in the number of Teslas on the road using Autopilot. That's my only takeaway from this. Congratulations to Andrej and the team on the amazing progress.

Pretty sure he meant Starlink, not Spacex.
After a flurry of speculation in Feb, the latest word we have on a Starlink IPO came from SpaceX Chief Operating Officer Gwynn Shotwell on Mar 10, 2020:

"COO Gwynne Shotwell said she's not thinking about a SpaceX IPO of its Starlink satellite business right now, echoing earlier remarks from CEO ..."​

Why Elon Musk Isn't Thinking About A SpaceX Starlink IPO Now

As usual, AJ is behind the news. :p

Cheers!

So if this was "your" robotaxi and no one was hurt, knowing how the world thinks (unless one lives in a naive world). You think the occupants would not sue? Hurt or not? We live in a sue happy world, and to the question of who? It would be the owner of the vehicle and Tesla.

Click disagrees all day long, but no one has tackled the liability isse of when this happens in the "robotaxi" era. What happens to Tesla stock when 60 minutes blows the first accident out of proportion?

I'm sorry you are not happy today but the car was being driven manually - Autopilot was turned off. If you are going to comment again, tell us how this auto accident has anything to do with the "robotaxi era" other than as a demonstration of just how badly we need autonomy to fix the problem this video illustrates. Namely, how bad the typical human driver is.

Is it just your desire to attack Tesla on a day when the stock is climbing?

Last edited:
The Power of Story

Much has made of the dearth of critical analysis in this particular thread. I do not in any way, wish take anything from from the strong analysis that has long been a cornerstone of this thread. There are many contributors, whose education, training, and skills, that bring me to awe.

However, to build a worldwide car company from the ground up, requires exponentially greater resources and funding, than would ever be deemed reasonable under the quarter to quarter expectations of Wall Street. Very often so-called experts (Jim Cramer) have derisively referred to Tesla as a story stock.

Indeed. Tesla is a story stock. One helluva story.

Lucid, reasoned analysis should always remain a central and important part of TMC. Story does not preclude analysis, nor does analysis preclude story.

So, let’s sit around the campfire and tell amazing stories; and by all means bring your evidence and data. You are welcome.

Don't know. Never dared to taste yellow. But it looks pretty.

I didn't know you were a Marine. :eek:

It might not be a bad idea to put in a covered call at $950. You can probably get an added $20 per hundred shares and if it doesn't hit, you got a free $2000. I do think we may be due for a big breakout, but if you have an exit point you won't regret...

Cheers to the longs today. Nice rally.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough to make a completely covered call. Missing about 1/4th of the shares needed, and far, far to little cash. Also, my tax status is juuuuuuust at over one year for only a tiny handful of my shares, which is also the amount of shares I currently have a sell order for, haha. :p The others I'm waiting for them to mature over that one year mark before I touch them.

Thanks for the recommendation, though. ;)

The Power of Story

Much has made of the dearth of critical analysis in this particular thread. I do not in any way, wish take anything from from the strong analysis that has long been a cornerstone of this thread. There are many contributors, whose education, training, and skills, that bring me to awe.

However, to build a worldwide car company from the ground up, requires exponentially greater resources and funding, than would ever be deemed reasonable under the quarter to quarter expectations of Wall Street. Very often so-called experts (Jim Cramer) have derisively referred to Tesla as a story stock.

Indeed. Tesla is a story stock. One helluva story.

Lucid, reasoned analysis should always remain a central and important part of TMC. Story does not preclude analysis, nor does analysis preclude story.

So, let’s sit around the campfire and tell amazing stories; and by all means bring your evidence and data. You are welcome.

"I’ve always believed that old men should have a proper set of whiskers."

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

???