Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reason left why someone would get the 3 instead of the Y?

As alluded to before, the lower center of gravity and lower weight (by nearly 400 lbs it seems) producing better handling.

Much smaller frontal area, for improved highway efficiency/range. Yes, the EPA combined range is nearly identical, but this is taking into account the added efficiency of the heat pump in cold weather testing, which is less important on long highway trips, where range actually matters, and completely unimportant when cabin heat isn't needed.

Potentially cheaper tires - smaller sizes on smaller wheels tend to be cheaper - and reduced weight reducing cost of operation.

Physically smaller, so easier to park. (Y is significantly bigger in every dimension.)

(Personally, I want something with a hatch, but don't want anything anywhere near as big as a Model S or Y.)

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
As alluded to before, the lower center of gravity and lower weight (by nearly 400 lbs it seems) producing better handling.

Much smaller frontal area, for improved highway efficiency/range. Yes, the EPA combined range is nearly identical, but this is taking into account the added efficiency of the heat pump in cold weather testing, which is less important on long highway trips, where range actually matters, and completely unimportant when cabin heat isn't needed.

Potentially cheaper tires - smaller sizes on smaller wheels tend to be cheaper - and reduced weight reducing cost of operation.

Physically smaller, so easier to park. (Y is significantly bigger in every dimension.)

(Personally, I want something with a hatch, but don't want anything anywhere near as big as a Model S or Y.)

Those are splitting hairs looking for a reason to choose a 3 IMO.

Reactions: UncaNed
This type of thing is notoriously difficult for anyone to predict, and especially this far in advance since the macro climate at the time of addition will have quite an impact. Having said that, even with the assumption there is substantial front-running already happening, I expect the price to rise after announcement of S&P 500 inclusion and to fall right before inclusion and going forward after that. Perhaps by quite a bit.

Interesting. What would you project the Rise and fall to be to? (Ie rise to $2800 pre-inclusion and fall to $1500 post)

Does S&P work both ways? If the market tanks and people are dumping their S&P funds, will they have to sell TSLA? Or in that case would TSLA go down anyway whether they were in S&P or not?
If a fund has more withdrawals than deposits, they will have to liquidate some of their holdings to pay for the withdrawals if they don't have enough cash on hand. If they are an index fund, then they would have to sell some proportion of their holdings to keep them tracking the index. How that would affect the price of TSLA or any other stock depends on what is happening overall.

I expect to see the "Make America Great Again" print on the mask ..
upload_2020-7-11_21-22-54.png
upload_2020-7-11_21-22-54.jpeg

So the $3000 price cut on the Model Y. Either Tesla is making some embarrassing to report percentage profit on the Y, or?
... or, Toyota just sold 9% fewer RAV4's this quarter, and Audi sold 12% fewer Q3's (again).

This price cut, paid for in full by Tesla's ever decreasing COGS, is the real SQUEEZE that's coming in 2020H2. This is a sales squeeze which will see some Auto Majors sent down to the Minor leagues. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
So I'm no longer the most bullish with a prediction of $10k?...:D

Index funds have no price targets ;)

But no, my 2030 price target is probably ~$25k. I'm ~80-90% confident it'll be between $8k and $60k.

Does this make me the bull version of Adam Jonas? :rolleyes:

I might have to up that lower $8k barrier soon, because that's if Tesla does not solve autonomy, which is looking less and less likely by the day.