Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some good discussion about it on /r/teslamotors: Model X specs now showing 250 KW supercharging max. : teslamotors

Evidently they found it about 9 hours ago.
I can't read every site!
Annotation 2020-07-12 165159.png

Why do you want a 3,650 mile battery in your car? If that technology comes, I would rather have a battery that is 1/6 the size. The car would still be capable of driving 600+ mile on a single charge yet the car would be much lighter and there would be much more space.
Depending on how to look at it. For me, having a 3.7k miles range and being able to fill up with home charger within 1 day or 2 will save Tesla billions of dollars of not having to expand the super charging network, and EV adoption to a third world underdeveloped countries will be much faster.

Reactions: Tslynk67
Depending on how to look at it. For me, having a 3.7k miles range and being able to fill up with home charger within 1 day or 2 will save Tesla billions of dollars of not having to expand the super charging network, and EV adoption to a third world underdeveloped countries will be much faster.
Yep. The advantages of extreme range are obvious and game-changing. It adds a brand new dimension to vehicular transportation.

Not only that, air and ocean travel come into play and perhaps space travel.

The pace of innovation marches on which is why I believe in this company.

Weekend OT:

Picked up Performance Model Y on June 23. Went over the car with a fine tooth comb and a checklist. Found a couple of small paint chips on door edge that were obviously inflicted during transit. It is on due bill, but otherwise the car seems perfect, except of course for the slight condensation in the right rear tail light which at this point I believe is simply a Tesla trademark.

Took last week off and drove upstate to a rental house with a pool in what passes for vacation in the time of COVID. Two adults and three teenagers fit comfortably into the car. The amount of crap we packed into it was truly impressive. Can't imagine complaints over storage, it must be best in class by my guess. Too lazy to confirm if true.

The car is absolutely spectacular. So easy and exhilarating to drive. Got the pearl white with black and white interior and it is eye popping, looks beautiful. Have a Stealth P3D and I liked driving the Y better.

Don't see what the competition has to match up to this. And now a three grand price cut. Tesla is totally cutthroat. No other company would dare to make their cars obsolete in Tesla fashion.

Traded in a 2016 Model X Ludicrous Signature for the car. At the time I picked up the X I was confident that it was the best car on the road, aside from the Model S perhaps, and that we would drive it into the ground. Four years later it was put to shame by the Model Y we traded it in for. Not even a fair comparison. The X was suddenly a clunker. The X I am referring too had never given us a problem, had low mileage, was a great drive, was clear wrapped in Signature Red and in perfect condition. And yet there is no doubt we made the right choice trading it in.

I feel confident again that we will happily drive this Y into the ground, it is such a great car.... let's see what Tesla produces four years from now :D.

Are you guys still comfortable buying in the 1500 range? I currently have 12 shares, still have some money left to buy 3 more shares, but i’m having doubts perhaps i should wait for a dip, marketcrash? Just to buy more shares than i can buy right now. I know we got good things to come but still.. like to hear others opinions thnx.

Difficult to say. You could always just buy 1, wait a bit, buy another, etc.

Looking for a little "not advice". I have a modest sum in an Edward Jones IRA from a previous employer that has been languishing for a while. I'm considering setting up and rolling it into an ETrade retirement account (already have a brokerage account there) so I can (presumably) direct it to TSLA, or maybe split between TSLA and ARKK depending on how conservative I'm feeling. Looking back, it seems like a no-brainer I should have done a long time ago, right?

Also, a huge thank you to all of you knowledgeable and generous folks who have shared your wisdom and kept me accumulating and HODLing the last couple years.

Damn, can't wait for this weekend to end so we can start watching "The Tesla Show" again! The episodes are long and sometimes boring, but then shows like last Friday happen and it's worth the wait!

I've now started watching the previews from Frankfurt that start up right when I go to bed... I'm gonna have to figure out when to sleep!

Looking for a little "not advice". I have a modest sum in an Edward Jones IRA from a previous employer that has been languishing for a while. I'm considering setting up and rolling it into an ETrade retirement account (already have a brokerage account there) so I can (presumably) direct it to TSLA, or maybe split between TSLA and ARKK depending on how conservative I'm feeling. Looking back, it seems like a no-brainer I should have done a long time ago, right?

Also, a huge thank you to all of you knowledgeable and generous folks who have shared your wisdom and kept me accumulating and HODLing the last couple years.

No brainer for sure but might I suggest looking into converting into a Roth IRA before you buy TSLA or ARKK.

Not a tax consultant but depending on how much money you have in your account and given the huge potential for great returns with TSLA it might be a wise idea to pay the taxes now for the conversion and enjoy the benefits of a Roth during your retirement.

With my options chain scraper fixed, here's this week's Opricot style charts:

TSLA.2020-07-12.2020-07-17.png
TSLA.2020-07-12.2020-07-17-2.png

Some interesting slopes on the max-pain chart, I'm guessing this is caused by the bears (and longs freeing up margin) buying 200 and 500 strike puts by the thousands. The underlying is so far away from max pain that I don't think it's going to be much of a factor this week.

Damn, can't wait for this weekend to end so we can start watching "The Tesla Show" again! The episodes are long and sometimes boring, but then shows like last Friday happen and it's worth the wait!

I've now started watching the previews from Frankfurt that start up right when I go to bed... I'm gonna have to figure out when to sleep!
Well, they say it's best to invest like the dead. Not advice!! :eek:

How would you fill that up in 1-2 days? What infrastructure are you suggesting everyone should have at home?

At 10A/230V it takes 30 hours plus to charge a Model s 100... I know what’s cheaper, and that’s not upgrading each home...

• Informative
Reactions: ThisStockGood

I did the same 4 years ago, rolled over 401K from previous employer ($190K reached over 12 years with 5% contribution plus some employer matches). I put it all in TSLA in a traditional IRA on E*Trade. The account low was last year in May at $22K, I thought I had squandered it all. Today it is at all time high:
$1,900,000

Pondering a Roadster 2 for a family with a bunch of kids under 13. Err... Nope. :)

Come on guys, the money we're making here, you buy both!

Actually I had an epiphany - I 'd like a R2, but blah, blah, blah, practicality, etc., but then I realised I could just keep my current Model X - will be 6 or 7 years ld by the time I get my next car, so heavily depreciated anyway.

No brainer for sure but might I suggest looking into converting into a Roth IRA before you buy TSLA or ARKK.

Not a tax consultant but depending on how much money you have in your account and given the huge potential for great returns with TSLA it might be a wise idea to pay the taxes now for the conversion and enjoy the benefits of a Roth during your retirement.
Weekend OT,
I just opened a Roth-IRA at Fidelity on Friday, scheduled to put $6000 in next couple days.
Can I still convert one of my 401K account into a traditional IRA account? Is there any conflict?
I know I should Google it first, but I would like to have a basic idea in advance. Thank you guys.

Reactions: MaxPain
Hi all,
Long time lurker here. Thanks for all your extremely valuable posts the past years. I finally made the decision to create an account because of the following. I'm wondering why Tesla doesn't lower the price of the Model 3 in the same way they lowered the price of the Model Y.
If they use all the knowledge acquired while designing and building the Model Y in the Model 3, it seems they can lower the costs and the price of the Model 3 as well. This is according to Tesla's mission to accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy, if more people get to buy an electric vehicle.

Another thing popped up.

How many of the advanced technology in the Model Y, like the octovalve, will be used in the Model 3? I expect all of it, but I never heard information regarding this subject. This way, I think the range of the Model 3 can be increased even further.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm happy to be contributing from now on.