Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol what? He wants a market crash? People will stumble over each other trying to take profits if that's the case. Capital gains tax holiday promote selling. Permanent capital gains tax reduction will increase investments.

He doesn't have any clue. Kudlow doesn't have any clue. Mnuchin doesn't have any clue. They just know that they and their rich friends can have more money.

Question that I always ponder:
why Tesla has to transport Cars to SF Pier 80? Why not to Oakland, which should be much shorter and faster?

My guess is that it means faster transport. The ship can move up to full speed right away, instead of cruise slowly past the golden gate bridge AND bay bridge (which might pose some height restrictions as well). Plus the question of draft depth - as the bay may be too shallow in some places to permit a car-transport ship safely through.

First is ZM, second is TSLA. Identical twin charts :)

View attachment 564466View attachment 564467
Yeah, that held until the EDGAR data drop-out at 11:24 ET. When the flow of data resumed at 12:20 pm ZM had magically 'zoomed' 2.9% while TSLA remained flat:

TSLA.chart.2020-07-14.vsZM.png

When data flow resumed TSLA had 2x the multiplier of ZM vs macros.

It's not "identical". TSLA is treated differently, even though it's Mkt Cap is 4x that of ZM.

Might hurt the market, but help the overall economy because it would pull out a lot of cash that they anticipate would be spent on goods and services (or at least that's what I would think).

Or he could just be an idiot...

Depends on how long the tax holiday is.
Single day ? CRASH !
Single year ? No problem.

He might be planning a single minute. Then its a singularity (black hole) !

It started and will finish with Abbott's office.

Now that Tesla finalized with the school district and county, the governor will close the sale on the biggest accomplishment of his career.
Fu$k the cars, they will sell themselves, get the right to sell power back to the grid from behind the meter.

Question that I always ponder:
why Tesla has to transport Cars to SF Pier 80? Why not to Oakland, which should be much shorter and faster?

Because Pier 80 is massive (> 60 acres of concrete), so it's easy to stage cars. It is connected via rail, of course.

Pasha Signs for New Car Terminal in San Francisco
Auto importer to help Pier 80 roar back to life

If you read carefully, you'll see that Pasha Group's intent was to use Pier 80 for importing cars, which is what Ford planned to do from Mexico:

"Ford planned to import Mexican-built cars for sale to the U.S. – an effort that would have employed 80-100 workers. Poor vehicle sales killed the project after just a few deliveries." https://www.ilwu.org/workers-win-organizing-victory-at-pier-80-in-san-francisco/

They got lucky with Tesla.

lol what? He wants a market crash? People will stumble over each other trying to take profits if that's the case. Capital gains tax holiday promote selling. Permanent capital gains tax reduction will increase investments.

My understanding, from what Cathy from Ark invest said in one of her videos, is that any new investment made during a particular window would be free of capital gains taxes. So it would encourage investing idle money, but wouldn't help anyone that was already fully invested. (Unless they wanted to sell, pay gains, and then buy to get tax free future gains.)

I'm sure he's thought it through quite thoroughly before suggesting it.

Our daily dose of comedy. Try not to laugh challenge. I made it 49 seconds.

The highlights:

She thinks you should invest based on cash flows and earnings rather than what people will do... is she freaking stupid? Unless you invest for dividends, you buy a stock exactly because you expect someone to buy it off of you for a higher price in the future. What people do is of course based on things such as cash flows and earnings, but you ultimately invest based on what you think people will do based on that information.

"I would short it if I could, and I'd have a lot of fun shorting it, BUT I don't have a strong conviction either way".... ehm what? :rolleyes: This lady is almost as funny as Adam Jonas.

Yes that also caught my attention, I'm in favour of a raise for say 25-30% of the shares funds need to buy for the following reasons.

1. The committee and funds may require it, or strongly request it. If Tesla says no, they will not add Tesla, or will use some other mechanism to solve the problem.

2. With front-running etc, the short term price spike may not be stellar, and if it is might not last long..

3. While Tesla may not need the money, they can use the money accelerating investment timelines when it is sensible to do so.

So I would not be surprised if the committee, the funds and Tesla agree to and if Tesla has a good use in mind already for the money.,

Keep in mind the funds are more or less buy and hold investors in any new shares issued.

I’m not in favor of a raise, unless Musk thinks Tesla can use more money effectively and that a capital raise is the best way to obtain that money.

If Tesla declined to raise in response to a request from the committee, the committee would blink.

Why?

The S&P committee also has to look to the future. Sure, TSLA could drop for a bit if they delayed further, but not for that long and any challenges to the S&P indexes and the institution of adding TSLA will only grow.

Would be absurd if a profitable company that was the largest by market capitalization in the US were not in the S&P 500. That could conceivably happen and, at the rate things are going, isn’t even that far out.

Ergo, reductio ad absurdum, the committee will blink.