Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

SpeedGoat

Nov 3, 2018
usa
Please don't allow this type of thinking to prevent you from voting for Biden, like happened to Hillary. There is a huge difference between Democrat and Republican policies, especially concerning the environment. The current administration has been the biggest disaster for this country (and the world) in decades. We have to stop it in November.

To get this on topic... a Democratic administration with Biden's version of a "Green New Deal" would be a huge boost to Tesla and the environment in general.

I agree that Tesla may stand to gain from a Biden presidency, but I am sick of hearing about how we have to vote for an obvious loser because, "OMG the other side!" Scare tactics just don't move me anymore.

mejojo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2014
Santa Paula, CA
I hear it's half price when you check both ends at the same time. Shrewd healthcare.
upload_2020-7-27_13-11-41.png
upload_2020-7-27_13-12-9.png

Tes La Ferrari

Jun 1, 2018
Canada
I don't attach social standing to money or ascribe much importance to it. If I didn't have much money I wouldn't desire a Cybertruck.

Those who have problems with wild fluctuations in net worth have an unhealthy relationship with money. I like money because it makes everything easier but life is more important.

We have a very similar outlook. Perhaps that's why I enjoy your posts. Thanks.

...except for the Cybertruck, I think I'd want one regardless - just love how unapologetically truthful it is in it's design simplicity & overall execution.

Appreciate your perspective.

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
We have a very similar outlook. Perhaps that's why I enjoy your posts. Thanks.

Except for the Cybertruck, I think I'd want one regardless - just love how unapologetically truthful it is in it's design simplicity & overall execution.

Appreciate your perspective.
I think it would be an excellent investment for somebody who doesn't earn a ton. A stainless CT will look the same if it's 5 years old or brand new, unlike other vehicles. Utilitarian, cheap to fuel and maintain etc. The Tesla squeeze will continue there for sure.

hobbes

Feb 11, 2013
Germany
The S&P 500 committee had better act fast, if they want give index funds time to buy shares before TSLA again hits an all time high. :eek:

I have been thinking about the S&P index inclusion - there has been talk that the committee might ask Tesla to emit additional shares so the index funds won´t have a problem buying what they have to. If this is true, I could imagine that Elon would not be thrilled of the idea, because it would also make it easier for the shorts to get out. What do you think about that situation? Is there a chance this might become another Elon vs. Wall Street clash?

• Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy

pnungesser

BarNun
Dec 9, 2015
Mill Spring, NC
Judging by your location I'm not surprised you think this way. NYC/SF/LA live in a bit of a bubble.

Most people are sick of both parties and their shenanigans. It's like they take positions on issues based solely on how much it will piss the other side off. It's why the congressional approval rate sits at like 14%.

Biden v Trump is probably the worst case of lesser evils in a long, long time.
Right up there with Hillary v Trump. The primary system is the root of all evil.

capster

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2018
An island planet
Going to buy some property and build contemporary storage container house.....gotta have somewhere to park the model 3.....
I got enough dough for the lot, need about 15-20K for the construction. Also if anyone has any info on companies that do prefab alternative living construction let me know.
More than you have in mind today, but if you hold long enough maybe these folks would be interesting: BrightBuilt Home

I always thought a net-zero house would be cool and I like their style. Alas, they only do builds in the Northeast US and they won’t ship the modules to the West Coast.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
I think one reason we are not as excited as usual from a $100+ move is that we are still $150 below where we opened Thursday after earnings. I sold a few shares at $1680 less than 3 trading days ago.
The wild ride last week has made us all a bit jaded too. Plus my calls are still down a lot, good thing they are January 2021's. I have time.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
Right up there with Hillary v Trump. The primary system is the root of all evil.
Ranked choice would solve many problems. I can only imagine that there were plenty of people who would have picked Candiate X as a 2nd choice to both Trump or Clinton. I mean this very sincerely that I'd take any random American over the chance of getting Donald or Hillary. He is far far worse IMO, but she was awful in her own right.

hobbes

Feb 11, 2013
Germany
I would sure love to believe that. Amazon has done that for years. But, then why is FSD getting more expensive at the same time? Are Tesla's costs for FSD development somehow going higher?

Maybe because the mission is about CO2 reduction, not FSD ;)?! People can still opt out of FSD and reduce their CO2 footprint, partly funded by the tech loving people who are happy and able to pay for FSD.

Cherry Wine

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
The question is what we will end on this week... I guess there will be some MM actions if this continue.

I won't venture a guess as to where MMs would like to pin the stock on Friday close, but there was a ton of volume at the $1,500 and $1,600 call strikes expiring 7/31 today. A lot at $1,700 and $1,800 too.

AlMc

'When the music is on...you gotta dance' (Go Elon)
Apr 23, 2013
Delaware
I have been thinking about the S&P index inclusion - there has been talk that the committee might ask Tesla to emit additional shares so the index funds won´t have a problem buying what they have to. If this is true, I could imagine that Elon would not be thrilled of the idea, because it would also make it easier for the shorts to get out. What do you think about that situation? Is there a chance this might become another Elon vs. Wall Street clash?

If EM continues to be EM Tesla will not issue additional shares. They appear to be able to self fund and I believe EM would be very happy to give WS the middle finger even if it means they keep TSLA out of the SP500 on some obscure new rule. (like they did with SNAP).

Aug 24, 2014
France
I really dislike how the media grabbed his stimulus comment and twisted it. The man is for UBI, that's a far bigger deal to the working class than a wasteful stimulus program would be. But regardless of the validity of his beliefs, his full sentiment should be judged, not a snippet.

Don't expect the left to support UBI without social guarantees. Milton Friedman was a supporter of a kind of UBI for good reasons (e.g let's destroy public services and pay minimum income for strict survival before enjoying uber capitalism without the need for solidarity: "no medical service or soup for you, you should have spent your UBI differently, game over, you're now a slave").

Make no mistake: I've been a vocal supporter of universal basic income for two decades now (I'm close to influential people in the movement too) but we can't ignore that UBI can well be used against the working class . Elon seems to mostly want UBI to avoid a socio-political revolution caused by high level of automation and the resulting unacceptable inequalities in wealth and power (alao to ensure he can pursue his transhumanist hubris without worries).

We, Tesla shareholders, should know that well because many of us expect massive profits from the energy and mobility transition. I don't doubt the new rich will have no choice but to implement UBI so the poor don't force force an (long overdue) wealth redistribution. Or the rich can continue to go full authoritarianism to protect their privileges and pretend it's the poor who demand fascism.

Last edited:

capster

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2018
An island planet
The question is what we will end on this week... I guess there will be some MM actions if this continue.
Just a guess and assuredly not advice, but the rules changed with the Q2 ER, imo.

The push down on Friday was for show, to scare off the timid and uninformed. That it could not be maintained through today suggests there really isn’t enough strength on the bear side to extend their dramatic set pieces for any length of time.

While I’m skeptical of a sharp, large spike happening and don’t doubt there will be on-going attempts to exert downward pressure, for shorts the steam roller, meat grinder, widow maker, death march or whatever you want to call it is now beginning in earnest.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
So today was the "snap back" from last week's "blow-off top" when everyone "bought the rumors and sold the news" after earnings. And we're pretty much back where we started, except for these still-dead calls I'm diamond handing. Now what? I wonder where we go from here. This ride never stops!

• Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy

vikings123

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 27, 2019
MN

I think the estimates were that the index funds would need to buy 25-30 million shares. Even if Tesla agrees to a secondary offering it will only help a little bit. As a shareholder I'm against any kind of dilution to help out S&P. For eg: 5 million shares is about 8 billion USD(at 1600 per share) so all it does is dilute our shares by about 2.5-3%, based on my back of napkin calculations at a 300 billion market cap.

I don't see why as shareholders we should be OK with the dilution. Tesla has become very efficient with their capital and improved cash flow. The S&P committee definitely has a major problem on their hands, that's for sure. The clock starts once Tesla files their 10Q.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC