Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on Elon's statements at the ground breaking / on twitter, I suspect that we'll only see SR and perhaps MR vehicles built in China, and that they likely will use locally sourced 2170 cells of likely lower performance vs what is coming out of GF1, at least in the short term - eventually they may bring up a comparable set of cell production lines to GF1. However it may be they start with sourcing 2170 from off-site Chinese suppliers and then bring production on-site, yet still in doing so might not bring their / Panasonic's secret sauce to the party.

Order a premium vehicle (LR AWD / Performance) and get it made in the US with best battery tech. Order a SR RWD and get a Tesla, but a cheap Tesla they literally wouldn't sell anywhere else. I expect Tesla will still demand a certain level of quality / performance from their cell suppliers, but it will be one obtainable without giving away their / Panasonic's secret sauce. So it won't be garbage, it just won't be best.

Another consideration is if they aren't producing premium vehicles, this likely includes interior too. So I am expecting only "SR" RWD and possibly "MR" RWD (scare quotes because they may have different ranges than vehicles built in Fremont due to different cell chemistries), no AWD models, no premium interiors. Metal roofs, unless Tesla decides to include all glass roof in the base package - either way I expect this to be either one or the other, not a variable. I am expecting the only production variation other than wheels and paint colors would be battery pack size (and they might not even do that and do only "SR" models).

Also, since they're only producing non-premium vehicles, even though they will eventually build Y for China, it will again likely be only non-premium flavor, they won't build Y for global distribution and ship out of China. So the "search" for where to build Y will continue until it is announced (building Y in China and exporting it wasn't an impossible solution, though it would have been difficult timing wise even with Chinese construction speed for the factory itself).

So this year 3K Model 3/week, next year 500K, so 10K/week.
I guess that’s on top of the 10K/week in Fremont.
Please update your spreadsheets accordingly!

Yeah, I'm not sure where CNBC gets the 3K/wk initial production. I think they are conflating that number with initial export rate to China from Fremont (Q1 2019).

The only 2 production targets I've heard are 250K/yr initially, and 500K/yr in a few years.

That's 5K/wk initially, not 3k. But CNBC likes to play fast and loose with guidance from Tesla, and they especially enjoy misunderstandings on the short side.

No matter! Tesla don't need no stinkin' badges (A.K.A. a Wall St. capital raise).

Cheers!

Just reached 5.72%. Seems obvious that Elon’s new facial hair is playing a role in today’s success.

Correct. Some say that Elon is just a monacle and a siamese cat away from becoming a supervillain.

This is incorrect. Elon clearly shows his preference for the Cheshire cat. Anime, that is.;)

Anime Boy Cat.jpg

Cheers!

BTW., the reason I guess they'll start with BIW this year and not a CKD (which is a painted body-in-white):
  • There's the curious case of Tesla having planned a paint shop expansion for Fremont and contracted it two years ago, but not executed it yet. Maybe the new paint booths will be installed in Shanghai?
  • Painting in China allows customized Model 3's from the very beginning, in the color the customer prefers. This removes 30-40 days of shipping delay.
  • Fremont paint shop is a major bottleneck: painting in China frees up that paint shop capacity for NA and EU production.
So I think paint shop might be amongst the first things built in China, in addition to a moulding shop and a general assembly line.

(An open question is corrosion protection: can a BIW be shipped over the ocean with no treatment whatsoever?)

Stamps and chassis assembly would be next, battery and power train production last.
Not to mention the lack of environmental regulation. The Chinese are catching up with the west but it would be surprising indeed if their regulations were more strict than California .

Reactions: lklundin
Based on Elon's statements at the ground breaking / on twitter, I suspect that we'll only see SR and perhaps MR vehicles built in China, and that they likely will use locally sourced 2170 cells

GF3/Shanghai will be SR only with the new std rge pack. The MR produced in the USA uses the same pack as the LR, but is depopulated to cut costs. There is no reason to duplicate the LR/MR pack production line in Shanghai when they will sell every one of 500K SR Models 3/Y each year.

Remember, Elon also said Shanghai SR production will supply the Region. So that likely means Korea, Japan, Australia, generally SE Asia.

Local sourcing of 2170 cells was also annouced by Elon a while ago, with multiple suppliers including Panasonic. There is no reason to expect inferior quality, the chemistry is Tesla'a IP, and the magic is in the sauce (and the robots).

Cheers!

Not to mention the lack of environmental regulation. The Chinese are catching up with the west but it would be surprising indeed if their regulations were more strict than California .
Chinese regulation largely depends on whether you have gov support, and on that front Tesla appears to have full support both from Shanghai and Beijing.
Not saying Tesla could cut corners or should attempt doing something incorrectly, but at least it wouldn’t face bureaucratic drag there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
They make a profit on every car they produce. If you had a restaurant that was always crowded with CUSTOMERS, would you not want to build another restaurant. While you are building that second restaurant would not be loosing money in the short term. Why is this so hard for you bears to understand?

You don’t seem to understand my post. I am not a bear. I was mocking this particular ulrabear. (Gordon)