Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unrelated, but Lordstown is going public via another SPAC - DPHC. It's only gone up 15% today. Seems the SPAC craze has (hopefully) died down.
Electric truck maker Lordstown Motors is going public - CNN
With the factory they have, and the already built workhorse platform, the Endurance might beat out Rivian and Nikola to manufacturing. Yes, they have a lot of vaporware CGI, but they have a lot of things others don't have.

DAILY DRIVE PODCAST: August 3, 2020 | One-on-one with Elon Musk (Part 2): A third U.S. plant 'very likely'

DAILY DRIVE PODCAST: August 3, 2020 | One-on-one with Elon Musk (Part 2): A third U.S. plant 'very likely'

Wasn't there some confusion yesterday from an article stating "200,000 Cybertruck orders?" In this podcast (part 2) Elon said: "We've had several hundred thousand people place orders for the Cybertruck". So it seems his words may have been taken out of context, he certainly didn't say "200,000" and his choice of words suggests it's more than that!

Munro is offering a sample of their $89,000 Model Y teardown reports for $5. You receive 6 total PDF files, totaling 171 slides. Many of the slides have certain information redacted or blurred out. I haven't had much time to look through them, but figure Sandy's information has been worth many times over the cost of the $5 report.

You can find and purchase it here https://munrolive.com/support-/-store/ols/products/model-y-sample-reports

There's rumors here in Western NC that local mining company Piedmont Lithium (PLL) is in talks with Tesla. That would make sense, I actually brought this up here over a year ago.

There's an abandoned Lithium mine here in NC that could yield up to 20 tons of lithium ore a year for as long as 20 years according to the new owners. They're planning a slow startup with production restarting in 2021 but I bet Elon could speed that up if he purchased the company... NC was once a top source of lithium. Growing demand could lead to a mine near Charlotte. About :: Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL)

And there's an article about Tesla on a Piedmont Lithium-sponsored marketing site here Piedmont Lithium Limited (NASDAQ: PLL). Hmmm.

Company website is here Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL)

Another take on this:

If this is true, I'd expect an announcement on Battery Day.

Full Disclosure: Bought a little bit of PLL, as Jack Rickard would say, "for fun".

Not an advice.

Last edited:
What affect would a secondary/supplemental offering have on strike prices for outstanding options, particularly OOTM call options? I assume the option contract would not change as it is essentially a separate security. But if there is a secondary offering with dilutive effects, that would seem to impact the likelihood of increasing SP toward the strike price. Example, 12/31/20 $1750 call option. Thoughts?

Secondary is dilutive, but SP really depends on how market reacts to the secondary. If Secondary is small, acts as cushion for S&P and will be used to accelerate battery production/GF TX, I think it will be net-net positive.

(+S&P, Battery Day, Stock Split, Q3 deliveries -- +ves, Secondary -ve)

Last edited:
Reactions: gabeincal and Sofie
Question: which is the wise path when buying Tesla.
A) purchasing shares weekly on payday
B) waiting for a “pullback” to 1200$

A downside: missing out on lower cost shares and increasing cost basis significantly over time
B downside: it’ll never pull back to 1200$ and I’ll be timing the market for more shares forever

Or you could use options to potentially reduce the price.

C) buy 100 shares now, and sell a covered call. You receive the option premium to lower the cost of the shares, at the risk of losing them (for a profit) if the SP > strike price at expiration. Otoh, you make money even if shares are called away, instead of waiting for a $1200 SP that may never arrive.

D) buy 100 shares now around $1480 and place a ~1200/1960 collar on them that expires in 2 to 5 months. ThIs requires selling a call at $1960 and buying a put at $1200 for each 100 shares you buy. The collar is free.

a. If TSLA falls before expiration, you can sell the collar for a profit and keep the shares for an effectively lower price. For example, if TSLA went down to $1200 next week on a Oct 16 collar, you could sell the collar for about $130/share.
b. If TSLA is between $1200 and $1980 at expiration, the collar expires worthless and you keep the shares.
c. If TSLA is above $1980 at expiration, you lose the TSLA shares for $500 profit each.
d) If TSLA is below $1200 at expiration, the collar is worth 1200 - TSLA SP for each share. The collar guarantees your shares are worth at least $1200.

Last week I did (D) except at 1100/2100 and bought DITM calls instead of shares.

I don't get it. Since I've learned about Tesla and discovered that the future will be electric, I see expensive ICE cars as outdated piece of machines - like gleaming steam locomotives, or ripe pineapples. Their price, refinement and exuberance don't change that.

I may be a little early in this realization, but I'm not special so I expect the mass to share that view in the coming years (just wait for the Tesla Roadster to be delivered in volume!), and the rich to quickly get rid of their noisy, smoky, lousy, flashy ferraris.

I personally don't disagree, I just tell you what I've seen (Ferrari is based in my hometown and I get to see quite a few of them).
Everything is about storytelling, and if there are few thousand people with enough money who still believe their story, I think they are in a better position than other luxury brands who actually need ot have much more volume.

Of course, there are a lot of young millionaires who are not interested in any of this and they want to go fast: they will buy the Roadster in a heartbeat.
A friend of mine (who actually knows very well the Ferrari family, and has friends who own a lot of them) drives a Tesla since 2015.
He thinks the Roadster will intercept a segment of people that can buy a supercar (eg Ferrari), but not an hypercar (eg. Pagani, Bugatti). Like the Roadster is a cheap hypercar ;-)

Any thoughts on what the single motor Y will run?
When I bought my LR AWD MY in June the standard price sheet that vehicles have on their dash or stuck to windshield said the base price was $41K. Sadly, I threw it away and didn't think about taking a pic, so I can't say what the breakdown was for AWD, LR, etc.

Anyway, lowest base price for 2020 MY is $41K. Next year's sales slip will probably reflect something different.

Reactions: Nocturnal
....and for anyone who still thinks Tesla does not have a substantial moat, I give you exhibit G3.
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 11.48.39 AM.png

This is excellent news, I expect to hear similar about the Berlin built cars in due course. I'm sure the US built cars will shake off the US style panel gaps as well eventually! :p All joking apart though, a German built Tesla will go down really well with many in Europe and the UK who still won't buy US built cars due to the (probably correct) perception of a lower build quality, so it's all just going to get better and better.

Last edited: