Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point here is that is completely *against* the mission, at least on a surface level.
The Master plan justified - from the beginning! - the necessity of making expensive cars, and people still think Tesla is a toy for rich people (but then it's easy to point Global EV sales, which sees Tesla as the ultimate leader).
It's more difficult for Cybertruck, until you spin it saying that making Trump-loving, caol-rolling Texans an electric pickup is part of the mission.

But I think, as you do, that a polluting rocket for super rich is not exactly within the Tesla mission - because Tesla and SpaceX do have different and sometimes conflicting missions.
I disagree. To quote the late Nick Fury who was thankfully brought back "[Tesla] takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. And it's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap."
Like it or not, Americans love trucks. The Cybertruck is not the most economical mean of transportation; that is correct. However, that's what we want right now and so it will do more toward the end goal than an econobox that Tesla can't produce profitably yet. And, maybe, we'll be able to teach our children to value low impact transportation as we demonstrate its importance ourselves. Without it, how are we going to threaten truck makers' complacency?
Likewise, we'd love to have electrified air/space travel. But, until technology permits, we will have to make do with what we have to further other long term goals while minimizing the carbon footprint. Just like how we're still relying on ICE semis to transport cars to their destination.
This is along the line of EV denier's logic - "Battery produces tons of carbon emission to make. EVs are bad." However true that maybe, we have to make the switch NOW so that proper investment in battery technologies (longer lasting/recyclable batteries) can be made. Without taking the leap, we'll be stuck with FF.

Last edited:
The 25 TSLA shares I picked up on Friday at the close just got sold today. (I don't day trade, but Friday was just obvious.)
So now I like $1,500 (and not like the usual slow bleed as seen last year between major Tesla news cycles).
Let's go it again and go for $1,300 this week. Either that or just take my core shares and bring them to the next level.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Criscmt
This is excellent news, I expect to hear similar about the Berlin built cars in due course. I'm sure the US built cars will shake off the US style panel gaps as well eventually! :p All joking apart though, a German built Tesla will go down really well with many in Europe and the UK who still won't buy US built cars due to the (probably correct) perception of a lower build quality, so it's all just going to get better and better.

Why can't Americans enjoy the same quality? Why does the China built models have higher quality? Freemont, time to stop with the excuses. Maybe its time for some management reshuffling at Freemont.

Tesla's made-in-China cars lead market in quality while US-made Tesla cars score lowest - Electrek

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Time
Maybe a little OT, but have an investment question for which no one (CPA, broker, Financial Planner) can provide me a straight answer. And I figured if anyone would know, it might be someone here.

Specifically, anyone know anything about SOLO ROTH 401K eligibility?

I am self-employed, no other employees. Not incorporated, but file a Schedule C every year, and all my income is 1099'd.

The wrinkle is, I have been contributing to a SEP IRA for years (in addition to a regular Roth). But I recently just discovered the Solo Roth 401k, which seems better for my needs than a SEP IRA (i.e. I'd rather forgo tax savings now, in order to withdraw money in retirement tax free).

Does anyone know if I can open a Solo Roth 401k when I already have a SEP IRA? Is it one or the other? Or can I switch and use a SOLO ROTH 401k going forward? Or can I do both each year?

fyi -- My brokerage will open it for me, and I can fund it. But the last thing I want is to realize down the road that I'm in violation of some IRS rule or something. And I did do a deep dive reading IRS rules, but even there, it wasn't clear (to me).

Again, basic question is: Does already having a SEP IRA preclude me from opening a SOLO ROTH 401K?

Asking on the off chance someone might have particular insight to this. Thanks so much.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA
Maybe a little OT, but have an investment question for which no one (CPA, broker, Financial Planner) can provide me a straight answer. And I figured if anyone would know, it might be someone here.

Specifically, anyone know anything about SOLO ROTH 401K eligibility?

I am self-employed, no other employees. Not incorporated, but file a Schedule C every year, and all my income is 1099'd.

The wrinkle is, I have been contributing to a SEP IRA for years (in addition to a regular Roth). But I recently just discovered the Solo Roth 401k, which seems better for my needs than a SEP IRA (i.e. I'd rather forgo tax savings now, in order to withdraw money in retirement tax free).

Does anyone know if I can open a Solo Roth 401k when I already have a SEP IRA? Is it one or the other? Or can I switch and use a SOLO ROTH 401k going forward? Or can I do both each year?

fyi -- My brokerage will open it for me, and I can fund it. But the last thing I want is to realize down the road that I'm in violation of some IRS rule or something. And I did do a deep dive reading IRS rules, but even there, it wasn't clear (to me).

Again, basic question is: Does already having a SEP IRA preclude me from opening a SOLO ROTH 401K?

Asking on the off chance someone might have particular insight to this. Thanks so much.
Types of Retirement Plans | Internal Revenue Service has all the answer, be prepared to spend some time reading over it though.