Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was some very impressive driving in the Model 3!
Thanks to Gran Turismo 2, that song is forever associated with racing. Love it. I need to get back out to the track. I haven't been all summer. :(

Re- "locking in gains" I have to wonder if this is part of the reason the wealthy just get wealthier.

I absolutely understand if you have 500k in TSLA, it's life changing, and you run the risk of dropping 50% or something so locking in seems to be the safe play. But in the case where someone has 10, maybe 20 million or more, certainly it's not ideal if they dropped 50% but their life doesn't change any, they can just wait till it's higher again.
Yes 100%. If you are worth 10 million, you can sleep easy betting 5 million in the hope of earning 10 or 20 million. If you are only worth 500k, you are going to sweat your sugar off if you bet 250k to try to earn 500k or a million. The old cliché "the first million is the hardest" is very true.

Re- "locking in gains" I have to wonder if this is part of the reason the wealthy just get wealthier.

I absolutely understand if you have 500k in TSLA, it's life changing, and you run the risk of dropping 50% or something so locking in seems to be the safe play. But in the case where someone has 10, maybe 20 million or more, certainly it's not ideal if they dropped 50% but their life doesn't change any. They can just hold until it's higher again. I think this scenario where you're not longer concerned about your personal finances allows a much longer holding period and in the case of Tesla hopefully realizing gains for many many more years into the future.

Just a thought, I'm super happy for anyone taking gains - you've earned it. I personally don't have any better places to put my money if I were to sell so until something dramatic happens I think I'll be holding for 10 years. Even if an event does happen, there should be some warning of a downturn in most scenarios, or perhaps the theoretical -50% event will be after the stock has appreciated >100% from today.

Not advice, it could tank tomorrow, you gotta follow your own plans/strategy. I'm just curious if the large players have the same mentality because they don't carry the same risks.
Another way to look at this is if you're in a taxable account and short-term...the gains are 37%....look at it as your buffer if $TSLA did drop 37%, you'd be even :)

Hovering at $450 B valuation. Are people getting bored of my Market Cap chart updates yet? Maybe I should make the axis logarithmic for tension?? Add AAPL, GOOG???

upload_2020-8-31_13-43-45.png

Have any of you old time investor who have been though split's seen anything like this?

I mean it's seem like a large brokerage house should not fall apart so easily.
Not in the past eighty years. My knowledge goes no further back but I can comfortably extrapolate to say no, never.

It's weird...I am so much more wealthy than I thought imaginable at this point in time and yet I feel nothing. If I were to pull cash out I don't even know what I would do with it.

I'm on the opposite end but still happy. My small life savings got wiped out a couple years ago, but have since regained it all thanks to TSLA. Looks like we'll be in a position to buy our first home if things stay decent. I can't retire or anything like that, but just being at the goal for my age is great!

I absolutely understand if you have 500k in TSLA, it's life changing, and you run the risk of dropping 50% or something so locking in seems to be the safe play. But in the case where someone has 10, maybe 20 million or more, certainly it's not ideal if they dropped 50% but their life doesn't change any. They can just hold until it's higher again. I think this scenario where you're not longer concerned about your personal finances allows a much longer holding period and in the case of Tesla hopefully realizing gains for many many more years into the future.

Just a thought, I'm super happy for anyone taking gains - you've earned it. I personally don't have any better places to put my money if I were to sell so until something dramatic happens I think I'll be holding for 10 years. Even if an event does happen, there should be some warning of a downturn in most scenarios, or perhaps the theoretical -50% event will be after the stock has appreciated >100% from today.

Not advice, it could tank tomorrow, you gotta follow your own plans/strategy. I'm just curious if the large players have the same mentality because they don't carry the same risks.

Ya, I just sold 25 shares (rounding off numbers and part of my rebalancing scheme). And after all my soap boxing on HODL, right? A bit nervous for a bear attack or macro correction is all. May need the powder, we'll see...

Reactions: Lessmog
While I share the sentiment with those of you who don't know where better to reinvest any locked in gains you might produce.... Doesn't it make sense to pick a number to sell 5%, or 10% to avoid being caught with tunnel vision? What number would that be for you?
No higher than 10% IMO.
I'm getting close to the first target at which I planned to sell 10% but it's happened much sooner than I expected.
Now I have to be strong and stick to the plan...

Reactions: SOULPEDL