Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Sniper is talking more long term than immediate with TSLA. More consolidation likely...

@option_snipper
not gonna happen.... TSLA technical pattern totally different from BA.... i said this - BA daily & weekly upper boll completely opened up so that's why i was expecting a huge run. tsla need more time on weekly for consolidation but long term another great run started....

Autisticinvestorman @Autisticinvest1
Replying to @option_snipper
Hoping for a similar run with TSLA
11:32 AM - 5 Feb 2019

Local Buffalo news reporting some issues with GF2. Former employees painting a fairly dysfunctional picture, Tesla does respond to some of it. Video and article Former Tesla workers paint grim picture of Buffalo plant

Sounds like the article got most of their info from one disgruntled former employee. That said it would be nice to hear about more production milestones at Gigafactory 2.

Paging through my Tesla Short-seller's Handbook of Dirty Tricks, it says on page 322 that "in the final 30 minutes of a strongly up day of TSLA, one should try a substantial push downward if volume is light enough to get away with it. Unfortunately, if the push downward is begun too soon or proceeds too slugishly, a rebound into close can happen." Hmm, that's 6 minutes from now. Watching to see what happens.

Local Buffalo news reporting some issues with GF2. Former employees painting a fairly dysfunctional picture, Tesla does respond to some of it. Video and article Former Tesla workers paint grim picture of Buffalo plant

Probably exaggerated, but nonetheless, the chickens have been coming home to roost for a while now on the SCTY acquisition. Arguably, Elon should have let it implode, or bought the assets at bankruptcy. Speaking as a strictly TSLA shareholder. I’m sure SCTY shareholders appreciated the bailout.

Purely anecdotal I realize, but my wife put in for our Model 3 deposit to be returned (we have a Roadster and X - decided that the 2 of us don't need a 3rd Tesla, along with 2 other cars - crazy, right?) a couple days ago. It was either 1 or 2 days between request and delivery of the deposit.

No drama, no headlines, no waiting, no grief. Easy.

FYI The packs are 80kWh.
Model 3 battery pack size

They are not making any SR Model 3 yet.

With the notes others have made, the real total yearly output of batteries being well under 35kWh plus the true LR battery sizes your margin of error is quickly being eaten away. Not to mention the potential (altho I highly doubt) that Musk will include an 80 kWh pack with every purchase just software locked. He really seems to like the software lock. He might include a MR battery with the SR software locked.

I do see a potential for 5 to 6 GWh that WE can not account for with current items on the market but I have never known Tesla not to introduce something new that requires batteries.

Your theory that they moved (are moving) the 18650 production to GF1 might be plausible. They could also build the pack there and free up room in Fremont. Then they could retool the Japan factory to make 2170s for the China GF. That would would be about 3000 cars worth. I am not sure how the tariffs would work importing all the cells but that would only be at the beginning.

The chances that Tesla takes the margin hit to have software locked Model 3 SR are extremely low. He just fired a big section of the company to right-size for Model 3 SR production. Lately his communications about the SR has been emphasizing margin and how they are not yet there.

@jpterpsfan discussion wrt GF1 and capacity is borne out of my discussions with @jpterpsfan and I am puzzled by some of the reactions here. The idea that Tesla Energy is going to soak up far more than the top most guidance belies the history of how Tesla has treated the Tesla Energy part of their business. In 2017, Tesla could have ramped up their production capacity in order to build Tesla Energy product. They clearly did not. When the Model 3 production ramp completely stalled, they had extremely little ability to take Panasonic's output and make Tesla Energy product. And at each turn, they have consistently starved Tesla Energy for cells and production capacity ramp in favor of their automotive side. I'm not saying that is the wrong thing to do, but clearly they did not invest that much in to Tesla Energy over the years.

With that said, Tesla was consuming somewhere around 20 GWh of cell production capacity at GF1 at the end of Q4. Tesla Energy is guided to possibly get to 3 GWh product delivered in 2019. I presume they will make 3 GWh or so of product, but the timing of actual revenue recognition will be tricky. The Panasonic commentary is striking. Their communications tends to be very conservative and circumspect. They talk about achieving steady state high utilization at GF1 and building out to 35 GWh capacity. Now, we know they have issues getting to full nominal rate, but still, they are putting in all the capex for a deadline that is suspiciously soon. There is a gap between Panasonic's guidance and Tesla's guidance wrt product volumes with their cell consumption. This goes back to my overall reaction to the Q4 earnings call. It was all about anti-Osborne-ing. They have no plans to switch until they do.

6F898F39-0CA1-4BE9-BF79-93BF61AD2773.png
Paging through my Tesla Short-seller's Handbook of Dirty Tricks, it says on page 322 that "in the final 30 minutes of a strongly up day of TSLA, one should try a substantial push downward if volume is light enough to get away with it. Unfortunately, if the push downward is begun too soon or proceeds too slugishly, a rebound into close can happen." Hmm, that's 6 minutes from now. Watching to see what happens.
Nothing to see here. Whistling while shorts get angry